1. #1 Bill would give vets Veterans Day off 
    Bill would give vets Veterans Day off
    11:52 PM, May. 2, 2011 |

U.S. military veterans would be allowed to take Veterans Day off from work each year under legislation unanimously approved Monday by the Oregon Senate.

Senate Bill 2 would allow veterans to take Veterans Day off while giving their employers the option of determining whether it will be paid or unpaid, said Robin Maxey, a spokesman for Senate President Peter Courtney, D-Salem.

Courtney sponsored the legislation after constituent Lucy Van Oort asked him why state workers got a day off on Veterans Day while many veterans have to work. Van Oort said it was always hard for her to understand why her late husband, Vietnam-era veteran Steven Lippert, always had to work.

"We have set aside Veterans Day to honor veterans, but thousands of veterans in our state don't get the day off to take part in special ceremonies and parades," Courtney said. "If we are going to honor our veterans, let's honor them. Let's give them the day off work."

Under SB 2, veterans who would like the day off would be required to make the request in advance and provide documentation proving their veteran status.
    Statesman Journal

It would be nice to get it off one day. I work Veterans Day, Memorial Day, hell I've worked the last 3 Thanksgivings.

I can haz holiday off plz?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Legislated days off? Illegal to require a veteran to work on a specific day?

This is a bad idea.

Hopefully, this idea will stay in Oregon.

eagleexpress
    The vets gave so much give them a day off will it hurt really?

I'm a veteran. I gave 9 years. But I was paid; I got an education in electronics; I went to Viet Nam; I bought our first house with a VA loan; I went to school courtesy VA; I am covered by VA medical, if I need it. Enough is enough. We are not an endangered species.
    And quit with all the sniffing about "how much we gave". We don't need to be spoon fed for the rest of our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    Legislated days off? Illegal to require a veteran to work on a specific day?

This is a bad idea.

Hopefully, this idea will stay in Oregon.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleexpress View Post
    The vets gave so much give them a day off will it hurt really?
    If I were the employer of a vet I would gladly let them have that day off. I don't, however, want the government telling me I have to.