1. #1 Good News - The bouncys are improving 
    amyrose2712 Donating Member (210 posts)
    Tue Sep-02-08 05:58 PM
    Original message

May I scream NOW!!!!! HELP!

So, I was at work, in a Dr's office, and politics happen to come up. I think a patient starting talking about McCain and how "he is really a Democrat" He and Hillary were Centrists and Obama is a crazy way too liberal. So , I had to school them on how McCain IS NO WHERE NEAR a Dem. And I told him that McCain voted with Bush 95% of the time, and he say well that might me true but, he's really a centrist. It was all I could do to NOT continue this schooling, but not really appropriate at my job. But, the worst thing was after he left my coworker starts in on me. Saying I know you are "...um passionate" about the subject (which I'm sure was a substitute for something less polite) that I shouldn't talk about it because I am too passionate.

Yes I am passionate about the truth, to which
    (and the kicker, that made me feel like i was in a conversation with Stephen Colbert. She actually said "but that is YOUR truth, his truth may be something different, maybe it is just what he believes." WTF? Are we talking about religion. I thought we were talking about congressional record. My hands started to shake(i get that way some times). I really think I need some advice on how to handle situations such as this with more finesse. Any advice? Thanks for letting me vent!

The bouncys are gradually improving. Note this one starts with "so". And how often does a DUmmie admit that spewing about politics is "not really appropriate at my job".

And we even get a bonus bouncy in the replies:

KharmaTrain Donating Member (1000+ posts)

14. You Can't Fix Stupid

Today my wife went to her dentist...a professional woman who revealed that she was leaning towardas the Gramps/Granny ticket cause she felt Hillary had been "bretrayed" by Obama. My wife explained that she was suprised and (the key word) "a bit dissapointed" that an educated woman could even equate Palin with Hillary...or that Gramps was anything else but Booooosh 2.0. The dentist changed the subject and did her work...right as my wife was leaving, she turned to my wife and said, "you know, now that you've made me think about it, I'm thinking Obama is the right choice". My wife said, "thank-you, I'd hate to think I'd need to find a new dentist". A little shame and guilt (and my wife can lay it on with the best Jewish Grandma) can go a long way.

The sad thing is that so many people's heads have been polluted with Faux Noise, hate radio and corporate media that they've heard the lies so much they believe it to be true. Some you can shake back onto planet earth, but others just can't deprogram. And, sadly, some will use a Palin (being a woman) as some kinda moral justification to hide their racism...using the dogwhistles and codewords of dittoheads that enable them to believe they're not.

Link: http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=3907806
    Last edited by Eilise; 09-03-2008 at 12:42 AM.

DO they really have these encounters? I almost never talk politics with strangers. Well, once....

A few weeks ago I was checking out at a book store with Obama Nation (I know, I know). The clerk said "Oh, I like him!" and for once in my life I actually said something. "You should read this book and get the real story, then you won't like him anymore".

She looked thunderstruck.:D

Banned
    amyrose2712 Donating Member (210 posts)
    Tue Sep-02-08 05:58 PM
    Original message

I really think I need some advice on how to handle situations such as this with more finesse. Any advice? Thanks for letting me vent!
    Well Amy, try what I do. If you have the stomach for it since it involves shoving a knife into someone's guts. : )

Quote Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
    DO they really have these encounters? I almost never talk politics with strangers.

I think they sit around making up these stories to impress the other DUmmies.

I'm in my mid 40's and I've never had a stranger approach me with political statements as so frequently happens in these bouncys. Plus I find it VERY hard to believe that a professional, such as the dentist in the reply bouncy, would discuss politics with a client - it's too much of a minefield.
    Last edited by Eilise; 09-03-2008 at 12:54 AM.

The Friday of the John Edward's "confessional" I was sitting in a doctor's waiting room. A woman was across from me and we were both intently watching the news media's take but NEITHER of us were saying a word. Then Jack Cafferty said" By tomorrow morning, heíll be lucky to get his calls returned by Howard Deanís housekeeper" and we both burst into laughter.
    Partners!:D

I'm amazed that people allegedly talk about politics at work. In my office, we just don't discuss specifics when it comes to political views. My husband's workplace is the same way.

I don't care how my doctor or dentist votes, so long as they do a good job and take care of me.

I've virtually never had a politically-charged encounter or snide remark from a stranger. If I'm baited, I just choose not to bite. Seems pretty simple to me...