Thread: Mitch Daniels: The Anti-Tea Party Candidate

1. #1 Mitch Daniels: The Anti-Tea Party Candidate 
    Posted by Erick Erickson (Profile)

Thursday, May 5th at 9:29AM EDT
    2 Comments

Iím still pretty sure he wants to run for the Senate and not President, but it does seem to me that Jenn Rubin delivers a fatal blow to Mitch Danielsí run for the Presidency.

The New Yorkerís Hendrik Hertzberg explains that Daniels didnít go to the Tea Partyers or to the National Rifle Association for a testing-the-waters confab. Instead, he went to Manhattan

Surrounded by people across the spectrum, the liberals seemed to like him better than any of the other Republican candidates out there. Well, there you go. But more so, when asked who heíd call at 3 a.m. for foreign policy advice, given the choice between John McCain and Dick Lugar, he went with Lugar.

I donít think I need to remind you that, as Jenn ably notes, Lugar ďhas run interference for President Obama on foreign policy issues such as START.Ē

Oh, and Daniels also received an award from the Arab American Institute, led by James Zogby. The group is not exactly on board with a foreign policy that treats Israel as a friend.

Sigh.

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2011/0...rty-candidate/
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I didn't read the whole piece so if it is mentioned, I apologise but I read this morning that he had praise for Obama and his administration on education and also on the elimination of bin Laden.

You can't do that this election cycle and expect to get the so-called Tea Party to support you in the Republican primary.

I used to like McCain a lot more than I do now, and going to him for foreign policy advice doesn't sound like a good idea any more. But Lugar is a senator from Indiana, fer Pete's sake. Did anyone think that Daniels was going to throw Lugar off the bus?

I don't know that Lugar has run interference for Obama. That's just what the writer says. Maybe. Maybe not.

I do like what Daniels has done for Indiana. And I do like the fact that he's not afraid to talk with real, actual constituents. I'd have to read what he was talking about when he praised for Obama on education; in his state he was sharply critical of over spending for fancy high schools.

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    I used to like McCain a lot more than I do now, and going to him for foreign policy advice doesn't sound like a good idea any more. But Lugar is a senator from Indiana, fer Pete's sake. Did anyone think that Daniels was going to throw Lugar off the bus?

I don't know that Lugar has run interference for Obama. That's just what the writer says. Maybe. Maybe not.
    The author of the piece might be referencing Lugar's defense of the Obama administration during the debate over the Nuclear Treaty during the lame duck session.

I do like what Daniels has done for Indiana. And I do like the fact that he's not afraid to talk with real, actual constituents. I'd have to read what he was talking about when he praised for Obama on education; in his state he was sharply critical of over spending for fancy high schools.
    There are stories I could link quoting him (it is a recent thing) but forgot the orginal opinion piece I read on the issue.