Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Obama floats plan to tax cars by the mile 
    By Pete Kasperowicz - 05/05/11 07:45 AM ET

The Obama administration has floated a transportation authorization bill that would require the study and implementation of a plan to tax automobile drivers based on how many miles they drive.

The plan is a part of the administration's "Transportation Opportunities Act," an undated draft of which was obtained this week by Transportation Weekly.

This follows a March Congressional Budget Office report that supported the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven.

Among other things, CBO suggested that a vehicle miles traveled (VMT) tax could be tracked by installing electronic equipment on each car to determine how many miles were driven; payment could take place electronically at filling stations.

The CBO report was requested by Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-ND), who has proposed taxing cars by the mile as a way to increase federal highway revenues.

Obama's proposal seems to follow up on that idea in section 2218 of the draft bill. That section would create, within the Federal Highway Administration, a Surface Transportation Revenue Alternatives Office. It would be tasked with creating a "study framework that defines the functionality of a mileage-based user fee system and other systems."

The administration seems to be aware of the need to prepare the public for what would likely be a controversial change to the way highway funds are collected. For example, the office is called on to serve a public relations function, as the draft says it should "increase public awareness regarding the need for an alternative funding source for surface transportation programs and provide information on possible approaches."

The draft bill says the "study framework" for the project and a public awareness communications plan should be established within two years of creating the office, and that field tests should begin within four years.

The office would be required to consider four factors in field trials: the capability of states to enforce payment, the reliability of technology, administrative costs, and "user acceptance." The draft does not specify where field trials should begin.

The new office would be funded a total of $200 million through FY 2017 for the project.

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rs-by-the-mile
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Let me guess. This is on top of the gas tax right?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    of course. why would you even ask??

They are doing their best to force people to stop automobile ownership aren't they?
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I don't see how. It has to be a replacement revenue scheme.

Also, wouldn't this almost be required if you use a primarily electric vehicle? And I still don't see how you distribute it to the various governing entities responsible for infrastructure maintenance.

Banned
    Obama and the sorry bastards in DC have the nerve to accuse the oil companies of ripping us off. Their cut of the pie is is already 4 to 5 times more than that of the oil comapnies. Obama wants high gasoline prices so that the greenie cars can compete.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I don't see how. It has to be a replacement revenue scheme.

Also, wouldn't this almost be required if you use a primarily electric vehicle? And I still don't see how you distribute it to the various governing entities responsible for infrastructure maintenance.
    In a sane world you don't see how. But I've never seen a democrat that would cut a tax out for another when they can just slap them on top of each other.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Obama and the sorry bastards in DC have the nerve to accuse the oil companies of ripping us off. Their cut of the pie is is already 4 to 5 times more than that of the oil comapnies. Obama wants high gasoline prices so that the greenie cars can compete.
    I see this differently, I guess. This appears more a way to raise revenue off "greenie" cars.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Actually - I think this would hit hybrid drivers pretty hard because they're going to have more mileage to be taxed between fill ups . . . . I mean if you tax $1 a mile - and you get 40 mpg . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I see this differently, I guess. This appears more a way to raise revenue off "greenie" cars.
    Do me a big favor and just once be against something this administration purposes?