Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Unless you have a specific type of kidney disease, read this:

http://www.conservativeunderground.c...ad.php?t=39773
    I appreciate the direction to the article. Apparently, I have some kind of kidney disease or malfunction, though my nephrologist seems to think that I am something of a unique case because "Your numbers are all over the place. "

In any event, the salt restriction is because the pills I am on actually contain 1300 mg of sodium. The doctor says I can have 4000 mg total including the pills, which means 2700 from food and beverage. She would prefer my total be 3000 mg.

So it's not like I am being forced to eat no salt, it's just that the things I like have a huge amount of salt. I also have a somewhat unique physiology when it comes to cholesterol. My cholesterol numbers stay fabulous no matter what I eat. My dad was the same way, right up to the day he died of a heart attack. But I do like my deli meats (400 - 700 mg sodium in a 2 ounce serving) , rye bread (270 mg in 2 slices) and feta cheese and pasta salad (god only knows how much sodium the Greek market puts in that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I appreciate the direction to the article. Apparently, I have some kind of kidney disease or malfunction, though my nephrologist seems to think that I am something of a unique case because "Your numbers are all over the place. "

In any event, the salt restriction is because the pills I am on actually contain 1300 mg of sodium. The doctor says I can have 4000 mg total including the pills, which means 2700 from food and beverage. She would prefer my total be 3000 mg.

So it's not like I am being forced to eat no salt, it's just that the things I like have a huge amount of salt. I also have a somewhat unique physiology when it comes to cholesterol. My cholesterol numbers stay fabulous no matter what I eat. My dad was the same way, right up to the day he died of a heart attack. But I do like my deli meats (400 - 700 mg sodium in a 2 ounce serving) , rye bread (270 mg in 2 slices) and feta cheese and pasta salad (god only knows how much sodium the Greek market puts in that.)
    Sorry to hear of this. On the other hand, as you note - clinical targets often fail to predict specific outcomes. Half of all fatal heart attacks happen to people with no risk factors. ;)

Sorry to hear of this. On the other hand, as you note - clinical targets often fail to predict specific outcomes. Half of all fatal heart attacks happen to people with no risk factors. ;)
    And sometimes we with 100% of the risks factor survive "fatal" heart attacks. I was dead for six minutes. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    And sometimes we with 100% of the risks factor survive "fatal" heart attacks. I was dead for six minutes. :)
    You make my case - these clinical expectations are often off the mark.

I don't suppose you'd care to start a new thread about your experience, would you? I'd be interested and I'm sure others would be too.

You make my case - these clinical expectations are often off the mark.

I don't suppose you'd care to start a new thread about your experience, would you? I'd be interested and I'm sure others would be too.
    Great idea, I think

Quote Originally Posted by Undies View Post
    Great idea, I think
    It's a great idea - I thought of it and you like it. Just like old times. :D

It's a great idea - I thought of it and you like it. Just like old times. :D
    I would be delighted!