Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I get shit from my department head because I spend too much time focusing on civics and not enough time on "civil rights."
    fuck'em, tell him that they can either spend the time learning how the Government works, or they can learn to be self absorbed little shits that don't know anything....then show him this study

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    fuck'em, tell him that they can either spend the time learning how the Government works, or they can learn to be self absorbed little shits that don't know anything....then show him this study
    I don't have tenure. I can't tell anyone to fuck it - I have to play along like a good little cog in the progressive education machine for another year and then I can say fuck it. Unless I'm one of the teachers that gets cut this year - in which case, we may be moving to Tampa. My Step-mom says she's got an in for me in the school district. . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Fabulous Poster
    I don't have tenure. I can't tell anyone to fuck it - I have to play along like a good little cog in the progressive education machine for another year and then I can say fuck it. Unless I'm one of the teachers that gets cut this year - in which case, we may be moving to Tampa. My Step-mom says she's got an in for me in the school district. . . . .
    Meh. Come to Florida, you actually have to fuck a kid to get fired here.

i didn't mean to tell it to his face LOL, just show him this study and ask him which way he wants to go, basic understand of how things work, or to continue through life as uneducated morons

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Meh. Come to Florida, you actually have to fuck a kid to get fired here.

I would have fucked that in highschool, any guy that says otherwise is either dead, gay or a complete idiot

i didn't mean to tell it to his face LOL, just show him this study and ask him which way he wants to go, basic understand of how things work, or to continue through life as uneducated morons
    The school is mostly black. He thinks that the way to be relevant to their lives is to give them lots of pointless useless crap about black people in history which usually results in reports on black celebrities and athletes.

The school is mostly black. He thinks that the way to be relevant to their lives is to give them lots of pointless useless crap about black people in history which usually results in reports on black celebrities and athletes.
    um...Fredrick Douglas, MLK jr, George Washington Carver, Booker T. Washington. All great Black American's you can teach them about :D

um...Fredrick Douglas, MLK jr, George Washington Carver, Booker T. Washington. All great Black American's you can teach them about :D
    Oh yes - the same ol reports about the same ol characters who actual impact on US history is negligable at best. I mean seriously - how important has peanut butter been to history?

Oh yes - the same ol reports about the same ol characters who actual impact on US history is negligable at best. I mean seriously - how important has peanut butter been to history?
    it wasn't just peanut butter, it was the importance of crop rotation along with a lot of other stuff.

besides what kid doesn't love peanut butter, except those that are allergic to it

LOL. Here, the little girls write papers about Diana Ross. Most women her age in Detroit (the little girls' grandmas) despise "Diane Ross". Yet, Sojurner Truth lived in Battle Creek after she escaped from slavery and is a much more interesting historical figure, there are at least two churches in downtown Detroit that were final stops on the Underground Railroad, and numerous other truly historical african-american people and places in the area to write about.

My whole problem with how a lot of educators teach black history is that they totally take it out of the context of american history, when it should be incorporated into the overall story. It confuses kids to take people and events out of their times and not address other things that were happening in the same era. You can't discuss the civil war without discussing the industrial revolution, for example. The north's win had a lot to do with their industrial development and the south's agriculturally-based economy.