Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 A Presidential warship 
    Banned
    I was curious--
    I know the President has as his personal transportation both Marine 1 and Airforce One, but iis there any naval ship which is solely for the usage of the President? Sort of a Presidential Warship?

I would think it would be befitting, given the President is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. Personally, as dangerous as it might be, I think a President should have the option of taking a very direct role in warfare--beyond just giving orders. Perhaps acting as a field General of sorts if there was ever another major, large scale war.

I've read Lincoln was VERY hands on with regard to the Civil War, even going so far as to help plan out the day to day strategies and troop movements.
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 05-07-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    I was curious--
    I know the President has as his personal transportation both Marine 1 and Airforce One, but iis there any naval ship which is solely for the usage of the President? Sort of a Presidential Warship?

I would think it would be befitting, given the President is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. Personally, as dangerous as it might be, I think a President should have the option of taking a very direct role in warfare--beyond just giving orders. Perhaps acting as a field General of sorts if there was ever another major, large scale war.

I've read Lincoln was VERY hands on with regard to the Civil War, even going so far as to help plan out the day to day strategies and troop movements.
    Nope...closest thing the President has had to a ship for personal use is the USS Sequoia, a yacht that is now retired from service and is maintained by a private organization.

http://www.sequoiayacht.com/

As for the President taking a direct role in military ops? Hell no!!!! Even more so with the current group of Keystone Cops that occupy the White House.
    Last edited by Zathras; 05-07-2011 at 07:24 PM.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    Nope...closest thing the President has had to a ship for personal use is the USS Sequoia, a yacht that is now retired from service and is maintained by a private organization.

http://www.sequoiayacht.com/
    We should reclaim it, or perhaps build something like it. Something a bit grander, armed with some guns perhaps, but very grand, very classy. And when not in official use, it could be perhaps opened to public (on a very monitored basis due to the risks of terrorism).

I should like to bring some of the class back to the Presidency. I remember reading how Obama gave the PM of Britain 25 DVDs which didn't even work in Britain...Tasteless. The office, while one of a public servant, is also very ceremonial, and I believe as such, the office should carry some grandiosity.

I was curious--

That is what Air Force One is for.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    That is what Air Force One is for.
    Sure, but that's an aircraft...I think the navy should get some representation in this regard. I also am biased, much preferring to boats to planes. There's nothing like a great boat ride. Some people get seasick, but I love the rock of the ocean. It's almost calming.

Plus, I don't like aircraft for safety reasons. While plane crashes are rare, it's very chancey, and if you're in a plane crash--that's it--no escape, no way out. At least if a boat hits an iceberg or something, there's a chance of survival especially in the modern age.

We should reclaim it, or perhaps build something like it. Something a bit grander, armed with some guns perhaps, but very grand, very classy. And when not in official use, it could be perhaps opened to public (on a very monitored basis due to the risks of terrorism)..
    No, it would be a waste of material and manpower that could be used elsewhere to actually fight wars, not for the President to use as a glorified status symbol.

I should like to bring some of the class back to the Presidency. I remember reading how Obama gave the PM of Britain 25 DVDs which didn't even work in Britain...Tasteless. The office, while one of a public servant, is also very ceremonial, and I believe as such, the office should carry some grandiosity.
    You want to put class back in the White House? Get rid of the no class trash for a president we have in there now.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Only one President has ever lead the troops in battle, and it should end with him. George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    Only one President has ever lead the troops in battle, and it should end with him. George Washington
    Ermm... Andrew Jackson? Eisenhower? Grant?

If you are referring to the Whiskey Rebellion, there was no battle. The "Insurrectionists" gave up when the Federal Army took to the field.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Ermm... Andrew Jackson? Eisenhower? Grant?

If you are referring to the Whiskey Rebellion, there was no battle. The "Insurrectionists" gave up when the Federal Army took to the field.
    I meant as President, and I should have said personally lead the troops while the President. Yeah I know there was no actual battle but the point still stands

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I meant as President, and I should have said personally lead the troops while the President. Yeah I know there was no actual battle but the point still stands
    I have heard that Madison took command of an artillery unit defending Washington DC during The War of 1812. There seems to be some conflicting evidence about this though.