Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    I should like to bring some of the class back to the Presidency.
    Then pull the lever for the Republican candidate next year.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I have heard that Madison took command of an artillery unit defending Washington DC during The War of 1812. There seems to be some conflicting evidence about this though.
    I've heard that too...forgot about it. I just don't feel that the President should take command unless there is extremely pressing need.

Just think how even more fucked up things would be if this dumbass was in the field micromanaging operations there...:eek::eek:

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post
    Then pull the lever for the Republican candidate next year.
    Depends on who it is.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I've heard that too...forgot about it. I just don't feel that the President should take command unless there is extremely pressing need.

Just think how even more fucked up things would be if this dumbass was in the field micromanaging operations there...:eek::eek:
    It all depends on the capability of a man in charge, really. Lincoln took a lot of personal responsibility for the strategy of the Civil War, and even though he only had limited military experience, he was very capable both in working with his Generals, and of evaluating them.

Or look at Nixon and Vietnam. He took charge of the war effort with Kissinger advising him and brought us very, very close to achieving our goals there. Only Congress holding his hands and Watergate got in the way of achieving real victory.

Leave troop command to the generals. They've been trained for it.

BTW, I think President Truman was the last president to actually "hitch a ride" on a navy warship, a cruiser IIRC. That was on his way back from the Potsdam conference after the Germans surrendered.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

It all depends on the capability of a man in charge, really. Lincoln took a lot of personal responsibility for the strategy of the Civil War, and even though he only had limited military experience, he was very capable both in working with his Generals, and of evaluating them.

Or look at Nixon and Vietnam. He took charge of the war effort with Kissinger advising him and brought us very, very close to achieving our goals there. Only Congress holding his hands and Watergate got in the way of achieving real victory.
    really? you know how bad it was because there wasn't a good General leading Northern troops till Grant? McClellan probably only won the couple major victories dude to shear luck and stupidity by Lee (Antietam and Gettysburg). None of the other Generals showed any kind of spunk nor staying power till Sherman and Grant.

Nixon, I'm sure learned a lot from Eisenhower, but all he really had to do was quit the micromanaging of the war that Johnson's administration was doing and let the Generals fight the war

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Leave troop command to the generals. They've been trained for it.

BTW, I think President Truman was the last president to actually "hitch a ride" on a navy warship, a cruiser IIRC. That was on his way back from the Potsdam conference after the Germans surrendered.
    Off topic, but I've always felt it was a shame that Roosevelt didn't live to get credit for the victory in Europe. Had he lived just three more weeks, he'd have seen the completion of the first half of the war which he presided over. It's a great shame to me to think that Hitler outlived Roosevelt.

I've read when he died, even the Japanese, who were still at war with us, expressed "profound sympathy" for our loss. The Germans, however, were gleeful, of course.

Truman finished off WWII bluntly and fantastically, no doubt...But the man knew nothing upon coming into office and yet gets a lot of credit. But a lot of the stuff which helped him win the war--the development of te Atomic Bomb, etc--was carried out under Roosevelt; Most of the way the war was fought was planned by Roosevelt, with the Generals carrying out the actual specifics and logistics. A perfect marriage, really.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    really? you know how bad it was because there wasn't a good General leading Northern troops till Grant? McClellan probably only won the couple major victories dude to shear luck and stupidity by Lee (Antietam and Gettysburg). None of the other Generals showed any kind of spunk nor staying power till Sherman and Grant.

Nixon, I'm sure learned a lot from Eisenhower, but all he really had to do was quit the micromanaging of the war that Johnson's administration was doing and let the Generals fight the war
    Yes, I knew we went through quite a few in the early days of the war, some very ineffective Generals...I also think a lot of the South's early victories had also to do with the fact we were facing a defensive force who knew the land and terrain better, besides the ineptitude of the early Generals. But his selection of Grant and Sherman to carry out dual campaigns, which basically crippled and finished off the South, was a master stroke. Some of those around Lincoln wanted him to fire Grant because he was supposedly a drunk; Lincoln replied by saying that if his being a drunkard affected his performance, they should find out what brand of liquor he drank and send it off to the other Generals.

Nixon loved Eisenhower. He claimed to have cried when Ike died. Ike didn't like Nixon nearly as much. But what about the invasions of Laos and Cambodia, the mining and the Christmas Bombings of '72--weren't these moves done in large measure under the direction of Nixon?

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    I was curious--
    I know the President has as his personal transportation both Marine 1 and Airforce One, but iis there any naval ship which is solely for the usage of the President? Sort of a Presidential Warship?

I would think it would be befitting, given the President is the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. Personally, as dangerous as it might be, I think a President should have the option of taking a very direct role in warfare--beyond just giving orders. Perhaps acting as a field General of sorts if there was ever another major, large scale war.

I've read Lincoln was VERY hands on with regard to the Civil War, even going so far as to help plan out the day to day strategies and troop movements.
    I'm sure the Navy would be glad to take the president anywhere he wanted to go on what ever ship he specified .
    He took President Roosevelt to Malta to Attend the Conference at Yalta
    USS Quincy (CA-71)

Boatswain’s mate Angelo Marinelli knew something big was up when a bathtub was brought aboard his ship, the heavy cruiser USS Quincy, in December 1944 while it was moored at the Boston Navy Yard.

At the Navy yard in Boston they not only installed a tub in the admiral’s quarters on the heavy cruiser, but a small elevator was also put in to take Roosevelt’s wheelchair from the admiral’s poop deck down to the main deck 10 feet below. In addition there was a mahogany and stainless steel gangplank used only to take FDR on and off the ship.

“We met the president at Newport News , Va. It was a very big secret when he came aboard ship,” Marinelli said. “It was the middle of the afternoon when Roosevelt arrived. We all had to go below deck. Nobody was allowed topside, except a Marine detachment with rifles.

“After he was aboard, we went to sea. It wasn’t until the next morning when we got up, that along came Roosevelt in his wooden wheelchair with his Filipino valet. The president was accompanied by Adm. King. The admiral was a short guy with stripes past his elbow,” he said. “The president’s daughter, Ann was with him too.”

“I was part of the deck crew and we were going about our normal jobs when the president was on deck. He stopped for a moment and watched us do our work. He was covered with a horse blanket and was wearing a jockey cap.

“I don’t think we were allowed to talk to him. So there I am working away and there was my president looking right at me. I smiled at him. He smiled back. When he did, he only had one front tooth,” Marinelli said.
    http://donmooreswartales.com/2011/03...elo-marinelli/

Yes, I knew we went through quite a few in the early days of the war, some very ineffective Generals...I also think a lot of the South's early victories had also to do with the fact we were facing a defensive force who knew the land and terrain better, besides the ineptitude of the early Generals. But his selection of Grant and Sherman to carry out dual campaigns, which basically crippled and finished off the South, was a master stroke. Some of those around Lincoln wanted him to fire Grant because he was supposedly a drunk; Lincoln replied by saying that if his being a drunkard affected his performance, they should find out what brand of liquor he drank and send it off to the other Generals.

Nixon loved Eisenhower. He claimed to have cried when Ike died. Ike didn't like Nixon nearly as much. But what about the invasions of Laos and Cambodia, the mining and the Christmas Bombings of '72--weren't these moves done in large measure under the direction of Nixon?
    early days? Grant didn't take over until April of 1864. Yes it was a master stroke as Lincoln finally had the balls to appoint a General that would actually fight to win and not pussy foot around like the others did.

He had, McDowell, McClellan (x2), Burnside, Hooker and Meade. all of them ineffectual until Grant took over as GIC of the overall Army. Grant wasn't a drunk as it was largely politics brought that claim to the front. He didn't drink any more than the majority of people of the day, in fact at times much less.

I'm not saying that Nixon didn't play a role, just that he let the Generals fight the war the way it was suppose to be fought.