Thread: Video Captures Obama in Secretive Exchange of Notes With Air Force General

1. #1 Video Captures Obama in Secretive Exchange of Notes With Air Force General 
    Take a look at this picture from Friday, April 29th. President Obama is greeting Brig. Gen. Ed Wilson after Air Force One landed at Cape Canaveral:

President Barack Obama is greeted by Brig. Gen. Ed Wilson Commander, 45th Space Wing and his wife Lisa, left, upon his arrival at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Fla., Friday, April 29, 2011. First lady Michelle Obama is at right. (AP Photo/Reinhold Matay)

Seems pretty ordinary, right? A typical tarmac greet for the Commander-in-Chief.

But there may be a little more to the brief moment at the bottom of the airstairs.

The state-owned Italian television channel Rai News has posted a video that highlights a curious exchange between the two men:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7VVLKVYr3Q

WTF? Is this middle school?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I guess the USAF knows where to score a dime bag for the Commander-in-Chief. Imagine the dialogue:

Obama
    Hello, Admiral, or Corpse-man, or whatever. Have you got my doobage?

General
    Right here, sir. And may I say, the junior airman who confiscated this said that it would knock your socks off.

Obama
    Good. Very Good. Will you join us later?

General
    Uh,,, Sorry, Sir, but urinalysis and all that.

Obama
    Hey, I can waiver you, Besides, you're not up for promotion any time soon.

General
    I'll pass, Mr. President.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

It's a coin. He's coining the general. It's kinda like an unnofficial award. Their generally handed off in hand shakes like that.

I've had them awarded to me from as high up as 2 star's.

That's an example of one, though they come in many differant designs. Their about an inch and a half in diameter.

Right now I always carry one that was awarded to me by the Director of Air Force Weather (two star), and the Director of PACAF Weather (Full Bird).

So no Poli, it's not middle school. It's the President taking part in an Air Force tradition.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    It's a coin. He's coining the general. It's kinda like an unnofficial award. Their generally handed off in hand shakes like that.

I've had them awarded to me from as high up as 2 star's.

That's an example of one, though they come in many differant designs. Their about an inch and a half in diameter.

Right now I always carry one that was awarded to me by the Director of Air Force Weather (two star), and the Director of PACAF Weather (Full Bird).

So no Poli, it's not middle school. It's the President taking part in an Air Force tradition.
    I was joking about the drug deal, but I don't think that he was coining him. When you have a formal reception like the one in the video, the coinsl are usually given with a bit more fanfare, especially from the president, and it usually isn't an exchange of coins (the general gave him something in return). I carry the 1st Army coin that I was given by LTG Honore (I was the OIC of a very complicated ROC Drill that went off very well) and one from my current CG, a two-star. It used to be that if you were caught without your unit coin at a club, you had to buy a round of drinks.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I was joking about the drug deal, but I don't think that he was coining him. When you have a formal reception like the one in the video, the coinsl are usually given with a bit more fanfare, especially from the president, and it usually isn't an exchange of coins (the general gave him something in return). I carry the 1st Army coin that I was given by LTG Honore (I was the OIC of a very complicated ROC Drill that went off very well) and one from my current CG, a two-star. It used to be that if you were caught without your unit coin at a club, you had to buy a round of drinks.
    I'm pretty sure that is exactly what it was. Wind Commanders always carry a few coins on them to give out if needed. So when the Pres gave him one, he figured he'd give one in return.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.