1. #1 McDonald's revamps stores to look more upscale 
    McDonald's revamps stores to look more upscale
    By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY

Updated 1h 2m ago |
    151 | 8

TAMPA — McDonald's is looking less like McDonald's and more like Starbucks.

By Brian Blanco, for USA TODAY

At a time when most of McDonald's competitors are still shell-shocked from the recent recession, the fast-food giant is undertaking its biggest store-by-store makeover in the chain's 56-year history: The 500-pound clown of fast food is trying to look more like a grown-up.

It's a $1 billion-plus undertaking that McDonald's and its franchisees hope, by 2015, will have the vast majority of America's 14,000 McDonald's looking comfortable enough to hang out in long after you've gobbled down your burger, fries — and smoothie.

For the next generation of McDonald's customers, the notion of what a McDonald's restaurant looks like inside and out could be turned on its head. Goodbye, fiberglass tables and industrial steel chairs. Adios, neon-yellow, bright-red interiors. Hello, wooden tables, comfortable faux leather chairs and interiors newly painted in muted oranges, yellows and even subtle greens.

Take away all the McDonald's signage — and the familiar front counter area — and customers who were to drive by or step inside wouldn't likely know they were face-to-face with a McDonald's. Even from the street, many of the changes are immediately apparent. No more clown-red roofs. No more confusion about what door to use. And that all-too-familiar white facade has been replaced with more inviting earth tones and glass.

Before any other media have eyeballed the changes — even before select restaurant industry analysts get a sneak peek later this week — USA TODAY was given a look at the McDonald's remodeling plans in Tampa that will set the tone for the rest of the nation. After revamping 280 stores in various markets last year, McDonald's is now opting for the Tampa model and will spread that design to upwards of 800 locations this year — roughly triple what it did last year.
    I doubt this will lure me more often but good for them.

USA Today

I noticed this trend at McDonald's recently. I'm a fan of the old orange-roofed HOJOs and other 50s-style american commercial architecture, and hate to see it replaced with buildings that have no creative or colorful touches at all.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Hopefully it will stop the assaults.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    i like the look...very ascetically appealing we've got a few of the new ones around here, food and service still sucks ass though

Fabulous Poster
    The problem with one dollar food is that you get what you are paying for.

I stopped at Burger King a week ago and got a burger that they apparently microwaved, because it was too hot to eat. The microwaves in restaurants from fast food upward have been a problem for some time now. The "they will never know the difference" attitude in corporate restaurant management is ubiquitous.

Yesterday I had a (as in ONE, boy have I been good) sausage biscuit from Dunkin Donuts and it wasn't even as good as McDonald's. It had 690 calories to McD's 430 calories (depending upon how much "butter" the kid sprays on the tray of biscuits) but both have an obscene amount of salt (1140mg and 1190mg) .

I know that you can practically watch a health food restaurant go out of business when it opens, and I know that various attempts at healthier choices have met with failure in these places, but I can't help but think that something better can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    The problem with one dollar food is that you get what you are paying for.

I stopped at Burger King a week ago and got a burger that they apparently microwaved, because it was too hot to eat. The microwaves in restaurants from fast food upward have been a problem for some time now. The "they will never know the difference" attitude in corporate restaurant management is ubiquitous.

Yesterday I had a (as in ONE, boy have I been good) sausage biscuit from Dunkin Donuts and it wasn't even as good as McDonald's. It had 690 calories to McD's 430 calories (depending upon how much "butter" the kid sprays on the tray of biscuits) but both have an obscene amount of salt (1140mg and 1190mg) .

I know that you can practically watch a health food restaurant go out of business when it opens, and I know that various attempts at healthier choices have met with failure in these places, but I can't help but think that something better can be done.

Open up a drive-thru healthy restaurant! There's a middle eastern restaurant (Cedarland) in Dearborn with a drive-thru, and it seems to be doing pretty good. Although, if you go through the drive thru, you would miss their murals inside of hockey players and skiiers, which seems very unlikely in a restaurant owned by people from the mediterranean region.