Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Pit bulls' reputation takes new hit 
    Pit bulls' reputation takes new hit
    Doctors, nurses say injuries prove danger, but others disagree.
    By Don Finley
    dfinley@express-news.net
    Updated 06:32 a.m., Monday, May 9, 2011

Weary of mending the mauled victims of dog attacks, doctors and nurses looked back at 15 years of serious bite injuries treated at University Hospital and produced a study likely to offer new ammunition for those looking to ban or regulate pit bulls.

They found that attacks by pit bulls were more likely to kill people than those by other breeds. In fact, all three deaths seen at the hospital during the period — two children and a 90-year-old man — were from pit bull attacks, records showed. A fourth fatality wasn't seen at the hospital, a 64-year-old Von Ormy man also killed by a pit bull, death records show.

In addition, they found that pit bulls caused more serious injuries — injuries more likely to put their victims in the hospital. Once admitted, those victims rang up higher medical costs.

“Fortunately, fatal dog attacks are rare, but there seems to be a distinct relationship between the severity and lethality of an attack and the breed responsible,” they wrote in an article published in the April issue of the medical journal Annals of Surgery. “These breeds should be regulated in the same way in which other dangerous species, such as leopards, are regulated.”

Advocates, dog owners and some experts disagree. They argue passionately against singling out pit bulls, saying the problem is one of irresponsible owners, not an irredeemable breed. People often confuse pit bulls — a generic term for various bull terrier breeds and mixes — with other kinds of dogs, making statistics suspect, they say.

The study began two years ago when a series of attacks in the area led to renewed calls for regulating pit bulls. Lawmakers in Austin considered bills permitting local bans on specific breeds, which now are forbidden under state law. None passed.

The study's authors argue that pit bulls deserve the special attention they get. Pit bulls, originally bred as fighting dogs, have different attack patterns than other breeds, they say — attacking indiscriminately, without warning and, often, with little interest in stopping.
    This is kind of like saying that your house takes more damage when a dump truck hits it than when a Smart car hits it. :(

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz1Lt8lOJrD

Everyone who supports this kind of bullshit has never spent an extended period of time with a pit bull.:mad:
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

They are dogs with the brains inbred out of them and the desire to fight inbred in, what do we expect.
    We have a lot of dog fights and pit bull breeders in Oklahoma, they can haul them all away in the same rendering truck, breeders and all.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I've spent time with sweet, well behaved and down right spoiled pit bulls. But these were competent, caring owners who made sure their dogs were well habituated to people before taking them out. The worst injury I got is a skinned elbow from one knocking me onto the carpet because she forgot she was f'n HEAVY.

Not every owner is like Michael Vick, using their dogs as a weapon. :(

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

I still contend that I've been attacked by more small dogs then large dogs. I say we ban any dog that resembles a rat.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They are dogs with the brains inbred out of them and the desire to fight inbred in, what do we expect.
    We have a lot of dog fights and pit bull breeders in Oklahoma, they can haul them all away in the same rendering truck, breeders and all.
    the pits aren't the problem, it's the cocksucking fuckers who make them fight that are the problem. I know several pits who are nothing more that big babies and had a pit/rot/chow mix and the dog would let my babies take food right out of his mouth while he was eating.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I still contend that I've been attacked by more small dogs then large dogs. I say we ban any dog that resembles a rat.
    QFT, chihuahuas are vicious little fuckers

Most violent crime in my area is committed by black males, should we ban them to?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    the pits aren't the problem, it's the cocksucking fuckers who make them fight that are the problem. I know several pits who are nothing more that big babies and had a pit/rot/chow mix and the dog would let my babies take food right out of his mouth while he was eating.
    When they are crossed they are good dogs, I have had several both purebred and mixed.
    If you live in an area that raises a lot of them for competition like I do, you see the problem up close, inbreeding causes bad dogs.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

When they are crossed they are good dogs, I have had several both purebred and mixed.
    If you live in an area that raises a lot of them for competition like I do, you see the problem up close, inbreeding causes bad dogs.
    inbreeding causes bad dogs regardless of the breed.