1. #1 Biodegradable packaging stuff 
    Banned
    Hey--
    I ordered some stuff recently, and for the first time, the products I bought came with these bags on top of them, between the top of the box and the product, I guess to protect it

I've learned they're biodegradable and whatnot...But they kind of disturbed me. I'm not used to them or biodegradable stuff in general; when I've ordered stuff I think I've had clear plastic bags in the packaging, and the whole of the stuff being biodegradable makes me wonder if they're safe/could cause any health issues.

The makers of these bags say on their website: "Biodegradable CELL-O air cushions are the next generation of sustainable packaging for businesses looking to address the environmental concerns of their customers. From manufacturing to disposal, Biodegradable CELL-O air cushions are made to provide superior void fill product protection while being environmentally friendly packaging. Biodegradable CELL-O air cushions are made from 100% recyclable material. Biodegradable CELL-O air cushion packaging will decompose completely within 9 to 60 months in the presence of microorganisms, whether they are sent to a landfill or end up as litter in the soil. Biodegradable CELL-O air cushions provide an eco friendly packaging alternative to other protective packaging materials.

Our biodegradable CELL-O air cushions deliver your customers a cost effective, durable air cushion that provides superior void-fill and cushioning while providing an environmentally responsible product that is lightweight, recyclable, reusable and biodegradable.

Our products contain an additive that promotes the formation of a microscopic bio-film on the surface of our CELL-O air cushions. Microorganisms in the bio-film secrete acids and enzymes that break down the long polymer chains into smaller pieces, which can then be digested by the microorganisms.

After biodegradation, the resulting material has been transformed into simple molecules found in the environment, such as carbon dioxide, methane, water, inorganic compounds or biomass with no heavy metals or harmful chemicals
    ."

I'm not familiar with "green" packaging or recyclable or biodegradable materials, and as such, the whole idea is kinda disturbing to me.

Has anyone else gotten these bags in with their packaging if you've ordered something?
    Last edited by CaughtintheMiddle1990; 05-10-2011 at 06:11 AM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Hey--
    I ordered some stuff recently, and for the first time, the products I bought came with these bags on top of them, between the top of the box and the product, I guess to protect it

I've learned they're biodegradable and whatnot...But they kind of disturbed me. I'm not used to them or biodegradable stuff in general; when I've ordered stuff I think I've had clear plastic bags in the packaging, and the whole of the stuff being biodegradable makes me wonder if they're safe/could cause any health issues.

The makers of these bags say on their website: "Biodegradable CELL-O air cushions are the next generation of sustainable packaging for businesses looking to address the environmental concerns of their customers. From manufacturing to disposal, Biodegradable CELL-O air cushions are made to provide superior void fill product protection while being environmentally friendly packaging. Biodegradable CELL-O air cushions are made from 100% recyclable material. Biodegradable CELL-O air cushion packaging will decompose completely within 9 to 60 months in the presence of microorganisms, whether they are sent to a landfill or end up as litter in the soil. Biodegradable CELL-O air cushions provide an eco friendly packaging alternative to other protective packaging materials.

Our biodegradable CELL-O air cushions deliver your customers a cost effective, durable air cushion that provides superior void-fill and cushioning while providing an environmentally responsible product that is lightweight, recyclable, reusable and biodegradable.

Our products contain an additive that promotes the formation of a microscopic bio-film on the surface of our CELL-O air cushions. Microorganisms in the bio-film secrete acids and enzymes that break down the long polymer chains into smaller pieces, which can then be digested by the microorganisms.

After biodegradation, the resulting material has been transformed into simple molecules found in the environment, such as carbon dioxide, methane, water, inorganic compounds or biomass with no heavy metals or harmful chemicals
    ."

I'm not familiar with "green" packaging or recyclable or biodegradable materials, and as such, the whole idea is kinda disturbing to me.

Has anyone else gotten these bags in with their packaging if you've ordered something?
    I think what they're saying is that these little 'air bags' are made of a type of plastic that will degrade over time unlike regular plastic ?

I wouldn't worry about them but if you want them to fulfill their "green" function, make sure you throw them away with kitchen waste (assuming you don't compost). That will speed up the decomposition. I personally would not put these in compost but I'm pretty Old School about composting.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    stupid thing to complain about IMHO...if it's not costing you extra, why complain?

No more bubble wrap?

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    No more bubble wrap?
    i've gotten these air pouches before, just not the biodegradable ones, mostly for computer parts, they provide more of a cushion than bubble wrap does.

this is what bubble wrap is good for :D

I thought that biodegradable potato chip bag was pretty cool. People complained about it being too noisy and they ditched it. Don't know what the status of it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post

lol I love your honesty
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Smith - Wealth of Nations
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.