Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 New breed of Americans going hungry 
    New breed of Americans going hungry
    By Christie Garton, Special for USA TODAY

Updated 9h 8m ago |
    172 | 6

The recession may officially be over, but Sonia Cruz of Issaquah, Wash., a suburb of Seattle, still finds herself having to say "no" to many things.

No to the kids' request to go to the movies with friends. No to $1 Redbox movies. And definitely no to those trips to Cold Stone Creamery for ice cream.

"There's no way we can afford that anymore," she says.

Cutting back became a necessity for many American families during and after the recession. But what the Cruz family and a growing number of other once-thriving middle-class families didn't expect was to find themselves qualifying for and needing the support of federally funded food assistance programs.

After job losses, home foreclosures, mounting debt and bills some can no longer afford to pay, families such as theirs have become part of the new face of hunger in America.

Vicki Escarra, president and CEO of Feeding America, the nation's largest hunger-relief charity with a network of more than 200 food bank partners, says there is a growing problem with suburban poverty, "where new clients are individuals who have never needed to rely on the charitable food system."

Hunger has been a challenge in the U.S., even when the economy is running on all cylinders.

At the end of the economic boom in 2007, 13 million people or about 11% of all households were considered "food insecure," the official term used by the government to define one's inability to access an adequate amount of nutritious food at times during the year.

"Not everyone who is food insecure is literally going hungry," says Mark Nord, sociologist at the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Economic Research Service. "Some are able to head off hunger by reducing the quality and variety of their diets. But if food insecurity is severe or prolonged, it is likely to result in hunger."
    Stories like this drive me crazy. I've actually been on the pancake + Karo syrup diet. I've been so poor that if I hadn't been paid in cash every day, I would have had no way to buy enough gas to get home at night. I know exactly what it's like to haul 2 or 3 bags of groceries on a bus because I didn't have a car and there were no stores within walking distance (or stores I wanted to buy at, anyway).

All of those things are annoying and sometimes even depressing but none of them ever added up to malnutrition, starvation, or "going hungry". If you have the means to buy dried beans, corn, and rice you will never starve. Being bored with your food isn't the same as being hungry. :mad:

USA Today

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Stories like this drive me crazy.
    I despise dishonesty. I accept that commercial advertising will be "cleverly worded" but unless they are selling patent medicines that kill or food products which are dishonestly labelled, then I can live with that.

So called "public service" or "social service" businesses which we call charities for tax purposes is another matter. Why the American people as a whole do not have the same sensitivity and loudness to their bullshit alarm that I do, I don't know.

"Food insecurity". This is the new term to replace "hunger" in America. Why? For the same reason Global Warming became anthropogenic Climate Change. To be less accurate rather than more accurate.

A tactic from statisticians, to so-called academics, to journalists which is pervasive is grouping dissimilar things, or two different aspects of a similar thing to exaggerate the outcome and make it conform to the theory. Example: "gun violence" rather than "criminal homicide with a gun". Or "shootings or attempted shootings". Domestic violence is another. Yelling at someone isn't nice, but it's not the same as beating the crap out of somebody either.

Power CUer
    She may not be able to take the kids to "Cold Stone Creamery" (never heard of that), but she could probably buy a half gallon of the supermarket brand ice cream for them.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    She may not be able to take the kids to "Cold Stone Creamery" (never heard of that), but she could probably buy a half gallon of the supermarket brand ice cream for them.
    Considering the prices at Cold Stone, I have no doubt that she could.

Or she could just skip the ice cream since her kids are probably little porkers anyway. That's another aspect of the sheer absurdity of this 'food insecurity' nonsense. The majority of SNAP people are overweight. Now, there are only two ways to make this happen:

Either Taubes is right and carbs are killing the populace by directly causing obesity even independent of calorie count, or

SNAP people eat twice as much as everybody else anyway.

If it's the first, then the SNAP program should only pay for raw meat, raw produce, and canned veggies. If it's the second, then the program should offer benefits based on client BMI.

Cold Stone is a high end ice cream store where they take the ice cream and put it on a chilled slab of stone and mix in the toppings there. They have most of their stores in mall food courts and the like but I have seen a few stand alone stores in strip malls and such.

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/

And, for the price of a small (one scoop with one topping, about $4.50 or so), she could get a gallon tub of bargain ice cream at Safeway.
    Last edited by Zathras; 05-10-2011 at 12:20 PM.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

For starters, Cold Stone Creamery is the shit but it's pretty expensive. I'd hardly call going without this luxury starving. I've been through some tough times where the wife and I basically subsisted on ramen noodles and tuna fish sandwiches. But a funny thing is, and this plays into the Extreme Couponing thread, is that a lot of the people on that show began their obsession due to some financial hardship. When you have a guy buying 2 liter bottles of Coke, Vitamin Water, turkey bacon, and Zone bars and not shelling out a dime out of pocket, there's no reason for anyone to go hungry. I can make a pot of spaghetti sauce that will last us for at least 3 meals on just a few dollars. As Nova said, calling these people hungry is the direct result of moving the goalposts. And it isn't that hard to eat nutritious meals at low cost. Instead of steak, you eat hamburger, even the stuff with the high fat content is healthier than boxed mac&cheese.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    basically this comes down to dumbass people not knowing how to shop. My wife feeds 6 of us on about 400/mo or less

also what constitutes as "hunger" in the US is missing one meal in a 24 hour period

Fabulous Poster
    Either Taubes is right and carbs are killing the populace by directly causing obesity even independent of calorie count, or

Poor people food makes you fat. I shop at a Walmart (a company which I consider to be the single largest food stamp recipient) where some outrageous percentage of people are on SNAP. By and large they aren't being stupid or wasteful- but they are mothers shopping for children in general and skinny male children in particular. Nothing will make a woman fat like a skinny male child or spouse.

Considering the prices at Cold Stone, I have no doubt that she could.

Or she could just skip the ice cream since her kids are probably little porkers anyway. That's another aspect of the sheer absurdity of this 'food insecurity' nonsense. The majority of SNAP people are overweight. Now, there are only two ways to make this happen:

If it's the first, then the SNAP program should only pay for raw meat, raw produce, and canned veggies. If it's the second, then the program should offer benefits based on client BMI.

Poor people eat too much unhealthy crap. They eat a lot of microwaveable dinners and processed food. That stuff is unhealthy, and it's expensive. We have a whole generation of people (income levels aside) who don't know how to cook, and think tv dinners are food.

I don't think schools teach home ec anymore.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Poor people food makes you fat. I shop at a Walmart (a company which I consider to be the single largest food stamp recipient) where some outrageous percentage of people are on SNAP. By and large they aren't being stupid or wasteful- but they are mothers shopping for children in general and skinny male children in particular. Nothing will make a woman fat like a skinny male child or spouse.
    next time actually look to see what people are putting in their cart, instant meals, boxed dinners, frozen pizza's very few fresh fruits, vegetables, meat that can be made healthier and cheaper than all those boxed POS's that they load up on.