Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't think schools teach home ec anymore.
    I hope not. God, it was horrible. There are better ways to learn to cook than that.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Poor people food makes you fat. I shop at a Walmart (a company which I consider to be the single largest food stamp recipient) where some outrageous percentage of people are on SNAP. By and large they aren't being stupid or wasteful- but they are mothers shopping for children in general and skinny male children in particular. Nothing will make a woman fat like a skinny male child or spouse.
    I've made my share of "poor people food" and soup, casseroles, tuna sandwiches, and various egg dishes aren't going to make you fat unless you overeat them. Food as entertainment isn't something I felt I could afford in those days.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    next time actually look to see what people are putting in their cart, instant meals, boxed dinners, frozen pizza's very few fresh fruits, vegetables, meat that can be made healthier and cheaper than all those boxed POS's that they load up on.
    I do look, because we talk about it on bulletin boards.

There are indeed women, mostly young women unfortunately, who have carts full of TV dinners, lunchables, and crap... but there are also many who are making an effort to be somewhat healthy. And then there are just plain folks.

I also see women who are clearly feeding many people (food stamps are not awarded in consideration of adults who may be living in the household nondependent) and more typical than a cart of pure crap is a cart of poor people food:

• Ramen by the case (lots of fat and carbs)
    • spaghetti, tubes of 27% fat meat, cans of cheap sauce
    • six of cheap (and highly fat and caloric) mac and cheese
    • six packs of Jiffy Corn bread mix
    • two dozen eggs
    • loaves of cheap white bread
    • baloney and cheap deli ham loaf
    • bag of potatoes
    • bag of apples
    • giant bundles of "greens"
    • pork for cooking
    • kool aid or fruit (HFCS) drink
    • big jar of peanut butter
    • big jar of grape jelly
    • pretzels
    • gallons of milk
    • bags of noname kids cereals (HFCS)

These are common items I see in food stamp carts. Yes, I also see frozen dinners (Michelinas $1/ea) and cheap pizzas, but these things are not necessarily worse for you than their more expensive counterparts (pizza especially) and they are things Americans in general and young people use.

Yes, I see a lot of bad choices and I see some abuse. It's important to remember that these SNAP benefits are largely aimed at children. I also get annoyed when I am behind someone and I have scrimped to save some money, and she is IMO taking advantage of the system. I'd be a liar if I could completely separate this from being annoyed that a "paying customer" is standing in line behind a food stamp customer... but the truth is that if I want to avoid this, I can shop in a nicer store and pay $20 or more extra for a week's groceries. I shop at Walmart to save my mom money (I do her grocery shopping). I myself could live out of the Greek deli, produce stand, and health food store.

You want to put a serious dent in the SNAP abuse? Get the government to forbid use of SNAP at corner stores.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I hope not. God, it was horrible. There are better ways to learn to cook than that.

My teacher did a good job. I already knew the basics by 7th grade, but she taught us some tricks and some new things that really paid off when I was babysitting.

I've offered to teach a class to our teenaged foster kids, but management doesn't seem that interested. I was going to call it "Beyond Ramen". I didn't even ask for extra money to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My teacher did a good job. I already knew the basics by 7th grade, but she taught us some tricks and some new things that really paid off when I was babysitting.

I've offered to teach a class to our teenaged foster kids, but management doesn't seem that interested. I was going to call it "Beyond Ramen". I didn't even ask for extra money to do it.
    I would attend this class. I used to buy sausage to beef up my ramen in college, ROFL. People thought I was f'n Emiril Lagasse .

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Home Ec has morphed into Family and Consumer Science. Both names are unfortunate. It ought to be called Householder Skills ("householder" being the latest PC term for anyone who does the dishes or pays the utility bill).

Basically, it's Adult World Skills. Beyond the mysteries of making soup without a 546 page cookbook, it should cover personal finances, home repair, gardening, child care, housekeeping/laundry, elder care, time management, and marketing (the grocery kind, not the adverting kind).

There is a new generation of people that can't cook....but this is nothing new. As a kid, I could fry hamburgers and potatoes, and could make anything that came in a box or can. I wasn't the cook or cook's helper as a kid, I was the baker. If it went on the stove, it was candy.

However, having gone through many years with very little money (and no food stamps), I definitely learned how to cook simple, cheap meals. I made some messes even the dogs wouldn't eat, and we probably were "food insecure" a lot... but my kids never went hungry...and none of them were "porkers." Food insecurity may be good for people, it forces them to choose between wants and needs!
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    There is a new generation of people that can't cook....but this is nothing new. As a kid, I could fry hamburgers and potatoes, and could make anything that came in a box or can. I wasn't the cook or cook's helper as a kid, I was the baker. If it went on the stove, it was candy.

However, having gone through many years with very little money (and no food stamps), I definitely learned how to cook simple, cheap meals. I made some messes even the dogs wouldn't eat, and we probably were "food insecure" a lot... but my kids never went hungry...and none of them were "porkers." Food insecurity may be good for people, it forces them to choose between wants and needs!
    And knowing I'm going to step on a few tits here but I blame the women's liberation movement for a bulk of these problems. And I'm not just talking about the women who left their husbands because they didn't need to be married anymore. When women started working outside the home, making dinner became almost passe. TV dinners were bad enough but when the women's movement took hold, this is when products like Hamburger Helper came out. It was simple and fast to make. Mix a pound of ground beef with the ingredients and you had a fast meal. And back in the day, McDonald's was a treat, not a meal to eat multiple time a week. Then this led to girls not having a role model at home to learn to cook. It's worse now because when I was growing up, most girls still had a grandmother to fall back on. Well, now those women are the grandmothers and they stopped cooking to opt for the easy meals so girls have it harder these days. Flame me all you want but the truth is the truth.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    And knowing I'm going to step on a few tits here but I blame the women's liberation movement for a bulk of these problems.
    What a colorful way of expressing it.

While women moving into the work force has contributed to bad cooking and poor food choices, guys didn't exactly step up to the plate (hah hah!) with any significant daily cooking contributions. For every guy who can't wait to tear off his tie or throw off his hard hat so he can get busy in the kitchen, there are 5,000 guys with no real interest in making dinner.

The problem is that both men and women think food is something someone else should do. Barring that, they both think that food should be as easy as possible and that means 'convenience foods'.

I think we need to know more about these suburban people before we condemn them as being bored with their food. Maybe after the house, electricity, child care, and other important things, there isn't enough left. I think it's also wrong to make the stereotype of the kids being overweight without even seeing a photograph of them.

As for poor people being overweight, it is two things. First, it is a lack of discipline. Food, beer, and cigarettes give them pleasure. They do need to work on that problem.

However, another problem is that affordable food is often not healthy. I hear ideas of living off of Ramon noodles. Well, that's pure carbs. It costs less to buy a box of Twinkies than it does a bag of apples. Some of the cheaper meat has more fat in it.