Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Poor people eat too much unhealthy crap. They eat a lot of microwaveable dinners and processed food. That stuff is unhealthy, and it's expensive. We have a whole generation of people (income levels aside) who don't know how to cook, and think tv dinners are food.

I don't think schools teach home ec anymore.
    Well, there are also people like myself who don't have time to cook a lot of times. I often go from one job to another. When would I have time to cook? Many people are in the same predicament.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    What a colorful way of expressing it.
    Well, it's basically a take on the term 'stepping on one's dick'.

While women moving into the work force has contributed to bad cooking and poor food choices, guys didn't exactly step up to the plate (hah hah!) with any significant daily cooking contributions. For every guy who can't wait to tear off his tie or throw off his hard hat so he can get busy in the kitchen, there are 5,000 guys with no real interest in making dinner.

The problem is that both men and women think food is something someone else should do. Barring that, they both think that food should be as easy as possible and that means 'convenience foods'.
    Men weren't raised to be cooks in a vast majority of homes. Just speaking for my generation. Now, my dad could cook but that, too, was out of necessity for him as his father died when my dad was young. Besides, my dad is Italian and it's in our blood. :p But back in the day, most men had no clue how to cook so expecting them to "step up to the plate" would be like expecting mom to change the oil in the car.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Well, it's basically a take on the term 'stepping on one's dick'.

Men weren't raised to be cooks in a vast majority of homes. Just speaking for my generation. Now, my dad could cook but that, too, was out of necessity for him as his father died when my dad was young. Besides, my dad is Italian and it's in our blood. :p But back in the day, most men had no clue how to cook so expecting them to "step up to the plate" would be like expecting mom to change the oil in the car.
    But "Mom" did learn to do that or to pay for it to be done. Another difference is that that chore happens every so many months but cooking happens every single day. Women in the 70s and 80s didn't pass on cooking skills because they themselves weren't doing them anymore - they were busy working. Even Susie Homemaker in the 60s was turning to convenience foods (look at any cookbook written in that era).

The problem is that people have come to believe that ordinary, day-to-day sustenance cooking has to meet some higher standard. It needs to be fun and novel. Most working people can't do "fun and novel" for 300 meals running. People need to scale back their expectations and they need to rely more on nutritious but not restaurant-quality foods: soups, salads, quiche/Impossible pies, plainer meat preparations, plainer veggies, etc.

These are very low-cost, low stress kinds of meals but they aren't always exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    And knowing I'm going to step on a few tits here but I blame the women's liberation movement for a bulk of these problems. And I'm not just talking about the women who left their husbands because they didn't need to be married anymore. When women started working outside the home, making dinner became almost passe. TV dinners were bad enough but when the women's movement took hold, this is when products like Hamburger Helper came out. It was simple and fast to make. Mix a pound of ground beef with the ingredients and you had a fast meal. And back in the day, McDonald's was a treat, not a meal to eat multiple time a week. Then this led to girls not having a role model at home to learn to cook. It's worse now because when I was growing up, most girls still had a grandmother to fall back on. Well, now those women are the grandmothers and they stopped cooking to opt for the easy meals so girls have it harder these days. Flame me all you want but the truth is the truth.
    Women's lib or not, I held a full-time job, came home and cooked supper every night because eating out was just too expensive, and then did the jobs like changing oil in the car. And yes, I can do that. I can also run the wire and install outlets and light fixtures. I can put in fence posts and built fences. I built a wooden swing set. I can and have fixed flat tires (not just changed the tire, but fixed the flat also), replaced brake pads, done tune-ups, and other minor vehicle repairs. I have installed drywall and mudded it. I have installed faucets and repaired plumbing leaks. I also do all the "traditional woman's work," sewing, ironing, baking.

Now, exactly why is it that men can't step up the the plate and take over whatever job needs done? Women can, have, and do.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

But "Mom" did learn to do that or to pay for it to be done. Another difference is that that chore happens every so many months but cooking happens every single day. Women in the 70s and 80s didn't pass on cooking skills because they themselves weren't doing them anymore - they were busy working. Even Susie Homemaker in the 60s was turning to convenience foods (look at any cookbook written in that era).

The problem is that people have come to believe that ordinary, day-to-day sustenance cooking has to meet some higher standard. It needs to be fun and novel. Most working people can't do "fun and novel" for 300 meals running. People need to scale back their expectations and they need to rely more on nutritious but not restaurant-quality foods: soups, salads, quiche/Impossible pies, plainer meat preparations, plainer veggies, etc.

These are very low-cost, low stress kinds of meals but they aren't always exciting.
    One thing my family loves is a stir-fry made with whatever fresh vegetables are most reasonable at the time. This is not an expensive meal, and can easily be adapted to low-fat or low-carb diets.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    One thing my family loves is a stir-fry made with whatever fresh vegetables are most reasonable at the time. This is not an expensive meal, and can easily be adapted to low-fat or low-carb diets.
    Sounds like our type of meal. On days when SR doesn't grill something outside, I'm doing stir fries with lots of veggies. Tonight we had a simple stir fry in a bit of olive oil with fresh green beans, asparagus, okra, broccoli, green and red peppers, fresh mushrooms, a spicier dark green pepper, fresh tomatoes and shrimp. It was mixed with SR's favorite noodle--spaetzle from the local German market.

This wasn't expensive, but was delicious. We even have enough for tomorrow as a side dish.

Instead of the big box stores, folks need to go if they can to small local markets. I think that I'm getting spoiled, as we went to Publix for some necessities today that I can't get at the local Amish markets. I compared prices---even the "sale" price on veggies at Publix were almost 2x as expensive as at the little Amish places.

Anyone can eat inexpensively if they just put their mind to it. If young people just learn to follow the adage of shopping the perimeters of the store and staying out of those center aisles, they'll eat cheaper and better. It's all the junk in those center aisles, while the produce, dairy products, meat, are on the outer aisles. That junk food might seem cheap, but it's an expensive way to go for not much nutrition.

Ginger is right---if there's not much money, load up on rice and beans and a few other staples.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Well, there are also people like myself who don't have time to cook a lot of times. I often go from one job to another. When would I have time to cook? Many people are in the same predicament.
    Lame!

It is easier to cook something healthy in 30 mins or less than nuke something horrible! I've posted plenty of those recipes!

Lazy.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Lame!

It is easier to cook something healthy in 30 mins or less than nuke something horrible! I've posted plenty of those recipes!

Lazy.
    Very true. My mom had a bad case of the shingles when I was a teenager. She taught me how to cook. A man that can cook will impress the hell out of women. In fact, I never dated one that could out cook me. My ex could not boil water.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    some of the best and most famous chefs are men, in fact there are relatively few female chefs in restaurants. So I think the expectation that a woman cook at home is from the fact that very few women were working outside the home until the 70's, and it was something that needed to be done while the husband put in his time working outside the home. Any man worth his salt should know how to cook regardless :D

Power CUer
    I'm glad there have been so many good posts in response to the very silly one by NJCF - that women stopped cooking once they were "allowed" to leave the house, and we made a terrible mistake by "allowing" them to do so.

Some of us work all day and come home to Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in the evenings - having done all the ingredient shopping for those dishes on the weekend.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken