Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    I would attend this class. I used to buy sausage to beef up my ramen in college, ROFL. People thought I was f'n Emiril Lagasse .

~QC

We used to fry bologna on the base of the oil-type popcorn popper, and make Kraft mac/cheese in a coffeepot (and ramen, too), when I lived in the dorm. I didn't know what ramen noodles were until college.

My grandpa, at the age of 98, recently discovered ramen noodles. He makes them as soup, though, and "I can get 5 for a dollar. I can't get 5 cans of Campbell's for that price".

Several people have hit the nail on the head. It's possible to eat healthy and inexpensively, and even keep meals interesting, but all of that takes making time, effort and intentionality, three traits that are vanishing from the American culture. The same three missing traits that could fix our communities, our government, our churches, our economy.....

Anyway, I agree that the women's lib movement had a big effect, but so did the men not stepping up. My mother worked and cooked, my wife has worked and cooked, and I've worked and cooked. I've also been the one at home and cooked. It goes back to those three little traits again. And yes, most cheap food isn't real good for you, just like most cheap entertainment isn't good for you either (I'm thinking reality tv there myself). It's ok in small doses, I'm partial to some ramen myself, but you shouldn't be living off of it. Here's a concept, if a person is receiving benefits, take advantage of that little card and track their purchases, bringing them in every month to review those and help teach them to make healthier, more economic choices. Push it hard enough, and food stamps just might become more hassle than working. In the interest of full disclosure, we've been on food stamps, and I can't say that we would always pass such a test, but the attempt is made to not just fill up the family on junk.
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I'm glad there have been so many good posts in response to the very silly one by NJCF - that women stopped cooking once they were "allowed" to leave the house, and we made a terrible mistake by "allowing" them to do so.

Some of us work all day and come home to Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" in the evenings - having done all the ingredient shopping for those dishes on the weekend.
    Um, where did I use the term "allowed". Go back, copy and paste, or shut your mouth. It's that easy. Don't put words in my mouth. You don't agree, fine. But the truth is the truth is what I posted. Either dispute it with facts or don't respond at all but don't openly lie about what I said. But then again, it's you so it's expected.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Um, where did I use the term "allowed". Go back, copy and paste, or shut your mouth. It's that easy. Don't put words in my mouth. You don't agree, fine. But the truth is the truth is what I posted. Either dispute it with facts or don't respond at all but don't openly lie about what I said. But then again, it's you so it's expected.
    It's women's liberation that allowed it, and that's what you were excoriating (I'll wait here while you look it up). The truth is that fewer people of both sexes are cooking, and a lot of people work because they have to. If men wanted pipe and slippers and martinis at the end of the day, maybe they should have made more money so women who wanted to COULD stay home. But they didn't.

That being said, I bring home very good bacon, and I love to cook. Sorry about your situation.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Get a room, you two. :p

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    It's women's liberation that allowed it, and that's what you were excoriating (I'll wait here while you look it up). The truth is that fewer people of both sexes are cooking, and a lot of people work because they have to. If men wanted pipe and slippers and martinis at the end of the day, maybe they should have made more money so women who wanted to COULD stay home. But they didn't.

That being said, I bring home very good bacon, and I love to cook. Sorry about your situation.
    But where did I say anything about womwn being "allowed" to go out? Where? Oh, and men made plenty of money then.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.