Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Nova is correct: we did the amnesty thing and absolutely nothing changed. The people who complied with the amnesty terms got away with jumping the line over many thousands of much more law-abiding applicants and when the last amnesty-seeker had been processed, there were thousands of new illegal aliens crossing the border.

The only way to really get at the root of this problem is to undermine the welfare state (for both illegal aliens and citizens). When some of the largess dries up, the low-skill McJob starts to become more attractive. If we cracked down on employers with jail time for employing illegal aliens while simultaneously getting rid of the wage suppression caused by illegal labor, we will have a way to employ our own numerous low-skill citizens.

This is not 1880. We do not have millions of low-skill agricultural and industrial jobs on offer. Yes, we'll end up paying more for service-sector goods but that's life in the big city. At least you can choose whether or not you voluntarily buy those services. We'll make up the money on the back-end by reducing a chunk of the welfare payouts.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    their parents and also the children themselves are not allowed to renounce their US citizenship. if they are born in America, they are US citizens. the parents cannot change this and the children cannot change this until they become of age.
    I didn't say that the kids had to renounce their citizenship, I said they could go with their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

The supreme court has already ruled on this. children born in the US are US citizens, they cannot have their citizenship revoked because of the crimes of their parents.

if we can punish people for the crimes of their ancestors then this opens up a whole new argument for Slave Reparations
    I didn't say that anyone's citizenship should be revoked. I said that a court ruling and not the constitution had created the situation we have now.

Wei, I was born in Greece. It made me a Greek citizen. When my parents left, no one cried about me going with them.

No one here should either. When they are adults, if they wish to take advantage of their American citizenship, then they are more then welcome to.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Wei, I was born in Greece. It made me a Greek citizen. When my parents left, no one cried about me going with them.

No one here should either. When they are adults, if they wish to take advantage of their American citizenship, then they are more then welcome to.
    You're greek? that explains SOOOOO Much! :D:p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.