Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1 Rolling Stone Readers Pick the Best Ballads of All Time 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Last week we asked our readers to vote for their favorite ballad or slow jam of all time. Votes were all over the place – from tracks by Pearl Jam to Elvis Presley to Lionel Richie. In the end it was very close, and there was a tie so we had to expand our standard top 10 to a top 12. If this survey has reinforced anything, it's that our readers really, really love Led Zeppelin.

    12. U2..'With Or Without You'
    11.McCartney 'Hey Jude'
    10.Lynyrd Skynyrd...'Freebird'
    9. Pearl Jam..'Black'
    8.Marvin Gaye.. 'Let's Get It On'
    7.Pink Floyd..'Wish You Were Here'
    6.Prince.. 'Purple Rain'
    5.McCartney..'Let It Be'
    4.Guns n Roses..'November Rain'
    3.Stones.. 'Wild Horses'
    2.Harrison.. 'Something'
    1.Led Zeppelin..'Stairway To Heaven'

    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ph...-time-20110512
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    You could have fooled me. I thought a ballad was a song that tells a story.

    Eleanor Rigby (Beatles)

    Take The Money And Run

    Jack and Diane

    Hunchback of Notre Dame (Alec R Constandinos)

    Ma Baker (Boney M)

    Copacabana (Manilow)

    Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (various)

    Me And Bobby McGee (various)

    Puff The Magic Dragon
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Georgia
    Posts
    645
    My top picks in no particular order

    I Could Not Ask For More - Edwin McCain
    Little Miss Magic - Jimmy Buffett
    Piano Man - Billy Joel
    Everything I Do I Do it For You - Bryan Adams
    Jack and Diane - John Cougar
    Little Miss Magic - Jimmy BuffettLove Song - Tesla
    Unanswered Prayers - Garth Brooks
    More Than Words - Extreme
    He Went To Paris - Jimmy Buffett
    Remember When - Alan Jackson
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Molon Labe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Jihad Me At Hello
    Posts
    4,772
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    You could have fooled me. I thought a ballad was a song that tells a story.
    I think that's true but more with writing than modern day music.
    I think what ballad has evolved into in songs is a slower lighter side. When one thinks of the way they used to talk about a heavy metal band singing a ballad. Motley Crue Home sweet Home comes to mind
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown


    The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Grouchy Old Broad Kay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Midland, Tx
    Posts
    3,699
    Beth - by KISS
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,649
    Um, Hey Jude, Let It Be, and Something are Beatles songs and not solo works by McCartney and Harrison.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    I think that's true but more with writing than modern day music.
    I think what ballad has evolved into in songs is a slower lighter side. When one thinks of the way they used to talk about a heavy metal band singing a ballad. Motley Crue Home sweet Home comes to mind
    As usual, the English language goes to hell and Merriam Webster merely designates it as a variation.


    Definition of BALLAD

    1
    a : a narrative composition in rhythmic verse suitable for singing
    b : an art song accompanying a traditional ballad
    2
    : a simple song : air
    3
    : a popular song; especially : a slow romantic or sentimental song
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Oh hell, I give up.


    Oxford dictionary:

    a poem or song narrating a story in short stanzas. Traditional ballads are typically of unknown authorship, having been passed on orally from one generation to the next as part of the folk culture.
    a slow sentimental or romantic song.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Georgia
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Um, Hey Jude, Let It Be, and Something are Beatles songs and not solo works by McCartney and Harrison.
    They were the writers of those songs I think.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lawrenceville, Georgia
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    As usual, the English language goes to hell and Merriam Webster merely designates it as a variation.


    Definition of BALLAD

    1
    a : a narrative composition in rhythmic verse suitable for singing
    b : an art song accompanying a traditional ballad
    2
    : a simple song : air
    3
    : a popular song; especially : a slow romantic or sentimental song
    I usually think of #3 there as today's definition of a ballad.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •