1. #1 Who Are You Calling Grandma? (Boomer Idiocy) 
    Who Are You Calling Grandma?
    By ALEXANDRA ZISSU
    Published: May 11, 2011

LAST month, Gwyneth Paltrow, promoting her new cookbook, “My Father’s Daughter” (Grand Central Life & Style), on the television show “Chelsea Lately,” revealed that her mother, the actress Blythe Danner, wanted to be called Woof by her grandchildren, Apple and Moses. “My mom’s hot and she didn’t want to be called Grandma,” Ms. Paltrow said. “So she kept trying to make the Woof thing stick. It’s even her e-mail address.”

Ms. Paltrow did not elaborate on the provenance of Woof, nor on her children’s actual nickname for Ms. Danner, Lalo. But another Hollywood grandmother, the actress Goldie Hawn, has written about her own reluctance to embrace the term in her best-selling memoir, “A Lotus Grows in the Mud” (Berkley Trade): “The wonderful day arrived; my grandson, Ryder Russell, burst forth into this world. I could barely contain myself. But was I really a ‘grandmother’?” Ms. Hawn wrote. (Or, as Shirley MacLaine howled in the 1983 movie “Terms of Endearment,” “Why should I be happy about being a grandmother?”)

It is, Ms. Hawn continued, a “word that had so many connotations of old age and decrepitude.”

“My son Oliver decided I should be called ‘Glam-Ma,’ which I thought was quite brilliant and made us all laugh so hard.”

The term has stuck. According to UrbanDictionary.com, “If 60 is the new 40 then GlamMa is the new Grandma, a woman with a sense of self and style.”
    Lots of Boomer fretting at the link.

NYT

Goldie Hawn's grandkids calling her "Glam ma" is cute. It's a variation of grandma.

Blythe Danner expecting her grandchildren to call her "Woof" is just weird. One of my mom's friends doesn't let her grandkids call her grandma, they have to call her by her first name, as do her 40-50 something children. My mom may have many faults, but she was excited to have grandkids calling her grandma.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    my kids call my wifes mom "Nana" but that is because they have 4 Grandmothers (my mom, her mom, her ex-stepmom and her dads new wife) and it's a way to differentiate her from the others.

I can hardly wait to be called "grandma". Or nana.. or whatever the cute little critters decide to call me.

My maternal grandmother always got Grammy. My paternal grandmother was Maw - and my Dad's step mother was grandma Jean and my great grandmother was straight up granny. :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.