Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The religious test 
    Romney has a problem and it is not healthcare reform. Romney is a Mormon.

The Constitution is clear that there will be no religious test but that has to do with the governing entities of our nation and not the citizens. We are free to apply a religious test to our vote. Kennedy knew that back in 1960 when he faced down Protestants who were wary of a Catholic being elected and taking its orders from the Holy See (at least Salt Lake City is American). His speech was a forceful defense of American secular government. He went on to win the presidency.

Faced with a religious test in 2008 during the Republican Primary, Romney took a different approach. He did not defend American secular governing institutions. In that speech, he said this: "Freedom requires religion just as religion requires freedom."

Obviously, he has no problem with a religious test. He just wanted Mormons to pass. He failed. Mormons did not pass the religious test placed on Republican candidates.

So now he is back (possibly, along with Huntsman) to see if a Mormon can be president. Personally, I don't think he can do it. The Faustian Bargain that the Republicans have made with politicized Christians will not allow it.
    Last edited by Arroyo_Doble; 05-14-2011 at 03:15 PM.

Do you even pay attention to anything we've posted here?

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post

~QC
    Yes. I do.

I count three (it was two until five minutes ago) that pay attention to what I post here.
    Last edited by Arroyo_Doble; 05-14-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post

~QC
    I doubt he does. Romney is not acceptable to most on this board. The only negativity about his religion comes from liberals. He is a flip flopping, lying politician and a RINO. That is what turns real conservatives off.

Same old, same old... Never mind if conservatives have outlined multiple policy positions with which we disagree, it just has to be race or religion or some other easy, weary, overused label. The only reason I can see that so many on the left are so concerned with prejudice as the underlying cause of any disagreement is the fact that they are, themselves, so inclined to judge on preconceived perceptions instead of on facts. It's quite simple for bigots to find non-existent bigotry in others because they judge others by the standards they find most comfortable.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    Same old, same old... Never mind if conservatives have outlined multiple policy positions with which we disagree, it just has to be race or religion or some other easy, weary, overused label. The only reason I can see that so many on the left are so concerned with prejudice as the underlying cause of any disagreement is the fact that they are, themselves, so inclined to judge on preconceived perceptions instead of on facts. It's quite simple for bigots to find non-existent bigotry in others because they judge others by the standards they find most comfortable.
    True. You can see race and bigotry on the liberal news outlets every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They thrive on it because of their elitism and anti-religious beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Yes. I do.

I count three (it was two until five minutes ago) that pay attention to what I post here.
    Who would that be? Just curious.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Yes. I do.

And you need to pay attention to what others have posted here. I've run the searches, and you're pretty much the only poster who seems to be convinced that the problem isn't Romneycare, but that he is LDS. Romney has been called a Liberal Republican, Establishment Republican, RINO, etc. by most members here.

~QC
    Last edited by CueSi; 05-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    True. You can see race and bigotry on the liberal news outlets every day of the week and twice on Sunday. They thrive on it because of their elitism and anti-religious beliefs.
    It's difficult to imagine that where there is significant hostility to Roman Catholics (and for good reason) that there would not be hostility to Mormons. I think the Mormons get a fair amount of slack because they have "Jesus Christ" on the marquee and because they are evangelical, and because most people simply want to be left alone.... but when the nuts and bolts of Mormonism are openly discussed (something most Mormons never do in mixed company) it ought to get as little respect as Scientology.

I sincerely believe that it is the wholesome white bread image of blonde haired Mormon boys with ties riding bikes around America that sedates many on the religious right to this group of people. They have some very strange beliefs and they also sponsor huge numbers of immigrants to the country. They also have a history of official racism dating only to thirty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    It's difficult to imagine that where there is significant hostility to Roman Catholics (and for good reason) that there would not be hostility to Mormons. I think the Mormons get a fair amount of slack because they have "Jesus Christ" on the marquee and because they are evangelical, and because most people simply want to be left alone.... but when the nuts and bolts of Mormonism are openly discussed (something most Mormons never do in mixed company) it ought to get as little respect as Scientology.

I sincerely believe that it is the wholesome white bread image of blonde haired Mormon boys with ties riding bikes around America that sedates many on the religious right to this group of people. They have some very strange beliefs and they also sponsor huge numbers of immigrants to the country. They also have a history of official racism dating only to thirty years ago.
    Mormons are considered a cult by most Christians.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis