Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    It's difficult to imagine that where there is significant hostility to Roman Catholics (and for good reason) that there would not be hostility to Mormons. I think the Mormons get a fair amount of slack because they have "Jesus Christ" on the marquee and because they are evangelical, and because most people simply want to be left alone.... but when the nuts and bolts of Mormonism are openly discussed (something most Mormons never do in mixed company) it ought to get as little respect as Scientology.

I sincerely believe that it is the wholesome white bread image of blonde haired Mormon boys with ties riding bikes around America that sedates many on the religious right to this group of people. They have some very strange beliefs and they also sponsor huge numbers of immigrants to the country. They also have a history of official racism dating only to thirty years ago.
    I will speak SLOWLY so you might understand. Most conservatives on this board are opposed to Romney because of his LIBERAL policies such as health care and abortion while he was Governor. His flip flopping on other issues makes him just another lying politician. Do you understand????

Banned
    Its an interesting question - are there beliefs which are so absurd and/or dangerous that massive scorn, ridicule, and possibly even disqualification from obtaining certain esteemed positions in society, should be a consequence for those who hold them?

I think there are such beliefs... but what are their characteristics, and how do you measure them, and where's the line?

In the case of obviously dangerous beliefs, there isnt much of a question... nobody would elect a neo-nazi, for example.

But what about beliefs that are just extremely absurd? Would anyone elect a guy who, for example, openly claims that he was once abducted by an alien super-race of Elvis impersonators, even if he seemed otherwise coherent and functional in other areas?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Its an interesting question - are there beliefs which are so absurd and/or dangerous that massive scorn, ridicule, and possibly even disqualification from obtaining certain esteemed positions in society, should be a consequence for those who hold them?
    Sounds like a perfect description of rabid liberals.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Sounds like a perfect description of rabid liberals.

Rabid Astrologists? Rabid Scientologists? Rabid Mormons? Rabid Catholics?

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I will speak SLOWLY so you might understand. Most conservatives on this board are opposed to Romney because of his LIBERAL policies such as health care and abortion while he was Governor. His flip flopping on other issues makes him just another lying politician. Do you understand????
    Our resident Libtard trolls don't want to hear the truth about our opposition because it doesn't allow them to crack on religion.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

This thread is a perfect highlight to liberal arguments on many, if not all, subjects. They form an opinion based on their own bigotry and project that on conservatives, not admitting it is THEIR bias they are complaining about. They then ignore the response from every conservative in this thread and continue with their tirade. It is simultaneously amusing and frustrating.

I do NOT care if a person is Catholic, Mormon, Hindu, Agnostic, Gnostic or even Atheist. The ONLY religion I would say disqualifies a person is Islam, the religion of hate and murder (THAT should drive the leftists nuttier than they already are).
    WOOF!

Quote Originally Posted by American Pitbull View Post
    This thread is a perfect highlight to liberal arguments on many, if not all, subjects. They form an opinion based on their own bigotry and project that on conservatives, not admitting it is THEIR bias they are complaining about. They then ignore the response from every conservative in this thread and continue with their tirade. It is simultaneously amusing and frustrating.

I do NOT care if a person is Catholic, Mormon, Hindu, Agnostic, Gnostic or even Atheist. The ONLY religion I would say disqualifies a person is Islam, the religion of hate and murder (THAT should drive the leftists nuttier than they already are).
    Good post!
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

My problem with Romney is the guy switches his stance depending on which way the wind is blowing and then blames it on the people. One day abortion (ie murder) is ok and the next it's not, just depends on timing and which microphone he's in front of. Either you know what you believe or you don't. Period.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    Rabid Astrologists? Rabid Scientologists? Rabid Mormons? Rabid Catholics?
    Rabid Wilbur

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Mormons are considered a cult by most Christians.
    I think you are correct, however all cults aren't regarded with equal contempt or distrust. But I don't know where they actually fall on the social ladder of cults. The Jehovah's Witnesses are undoubtedly a cult, but we generally think of them as being completely harmless if a little annoying. The Scientologists don't really have the numbers even if they have some big names, but they are considered dangerous.

The LDS has somewhat mastered the art of the "no true Christian" response. LDS groups which are out there, which are cultlike, which do practice polygamy (not that there is anything wrong with that), who do marry child brides and wander dangerously close to incest... they are disowned by the LDS (which continues to count them as members until age 110 yrs.) as not being truly Mormon while many of these sects actually claim to be orthodox Mormons. So if you find folks that won't pass the political tests, then the LDS says they aren't "real" while at the same time the LDS, which is known for intrusion on the privacy of its members and its excommunications for breeches of the rules, gives a pass to celebrities, connected persons, the wealthy, and the political. Almost like a dispensation from Rome.