1. #1 Fresh pizza doesn't have to be a splurge 
    Family Kitchen: Fresh pizza doesn't have to be a splurge

Updated 13h 12m ago

The Tax Man cometh — and did he taketh away, too? Whether or not you owe the IRS on April 18, your eyes are probably glazed over from balance-sheet tallying and financial pie-charting.

At numbers-crunching times like these, I like to ease the pain with a pie of pizza proportions delivered steaming hot to the front door within minutes. But with that flight of fancy, I also hear the sound of nickels (not dollars) rubbing together, a DIY wake-up call if there ever was one.

For less than 5 bucks, you can make your own pizza dough, which yields two pies that will fill at least four bellies. Shell out another 5 or 6 bucks for toppings, and you've got the makings of a veritable pizza par-tay without a delivery tip to worry about.

You'll see firsthand just how doable DIY dough is. You'll get the kids involved, or maybe you'll invite the neighbors to bring their own toppings, and it'll be the cheapest thrill you've had in a good long time.

Pizza Dough

Ingredients:
    Copied text to clipboard:
    Good ole marinara and mozzarella
    Ingredients:

-- 2 cups tomato puree
    -- 1 clove garlic, smashed
    -- 1 tsp. dried oregano
    -- 1 tsp. tomato paste
    -- 1/2 tsp. salt
    -- Ground black pepper
    -- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
    -- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (You may also use fresh mozzarella balls or bigger pieces that you slice yourself. Estimate about 1 pound in water for both pies)
    -- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
    -- Optional but really good add-ons: 1/2 bunch (about 2 cups) arugula, cleaned and dried; 1/2 lemon; a drizzle of olive oil

Directions:

Pour the tomato puree into a medium-size saucepan and heat over medium heat. Add the garlic, oregano, and tomato paste. Stir to make sure the paste has been absorbed into the puree.

Bring to a simmer (this helps sauce reduce a bit), then lower the heat and stir to make sure the sauce is not sticking. The sauce can be ready in 15 minutes or can simmer for longer, up to 1/2 hour. It will reduce by about one-fourth, which gives you at least 3/4 cup of puree per pizza.

Taste for salt and season accordingly, and add the black pepper and/or red pepper flakes. Remove the garlic clove.

Ladle the sauce into middle of dough circle, and with a rubber spatula, spread until the surface is completely covered. Place the mozzarella (1 cup per 12-inch pizza) on top of the sauce. Remember, the cheese will spread as it melts in the oven, so don't worry if it seems as if your pizza is not amply covered with cheese.

Place in the oven and bake as directed for the pizza dough.
    When the pizza is done, garnish it with Parmigiano-Reggiano and, if using, the arugula. Squeeze the lemon all over the greens and/or drizzle with olive oil if you wish.

Excerpted from The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook by Kim O'Donnel (Da Capo Lifelong, Copyright 2010.)

•1 cup water heated to 100F

•1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast

•Pinch of sugar

•About 3 cups all-purpose flour

•1 tsp. salt

•1 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for greasing

•Cornmeal, for dusting

Directions:

Pour water into a small bowl. Add yeast, sugar and 1 tablespoon of the flour; stir until dissolved. Cover and let sit until mixture is slightly foamy, about 15 minutes.

In a wide and shallow bowl, place 1 cup of the flour, the salt, and the olive oil, and stir to combine with a heavy wooden spoon. Add yeast mixture and stir until just combined. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring between additions. Dough will be soft and sticky and pull away from the sides of the bowl. Depending on the weather (humidity, heat), flour amounts will vary between 2 1/2 and 3 cups total.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough: Press, fold and turn 90 degrees, until it becomes a smooth, soft, springy ball, about 6 minutes.

Place dough into a lightly greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover and let rise in a draft-free spot until doubled, about 1 hour.

Cut dough in half and work with one half at a time. Keep remaining dough covered with plastic until ready to use or refrigerate and/or freeze for future.

Preheat oven to 500F.
    More at the link.

USA Today

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    my wife makes some awesome homemade pizza, i'll get her dough recipe when i get home, it's pretty easy...um...think i posted it before, but don't remember

Have to get my eyes checked, thought you typed Splouge. I dont want that kind of pizza but I hear nova loves it.

SR and I "dined out" at the local Whole Foods. I read a review in the local paper that they had some of the best pizza in town. Their cheese pizza is excellent. For a princely $1.99, we had a huge piece that we split. I'm trying to avoid eating too many carbs, so it was a real treat, just the right amount.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

I get the 8-inch Boboli crusts, some pizza sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms, bell peppers, and some Italian seasoning. It's fast and delicious. Turns out really good.

If you can, fettpett, please post your dough recipe. If it's easy, I might try it.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I get the 8-inch Boboli crusts, some pizza sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms, bell peppers, and some Italian seasoning. It's fast and delicious. Turns out really good.

If you can, fettpett, please post your dough recipe. If it's easy, I might try it.
    This is the easiest one I've ever done:

Pizza Dough I

Submitted By: Gudny Bjorg Kjaerbo
    Photo By: kris
    Prep Time: 10 Minutes
    Cook Time: 25 Minutes

Ready In: 35 Minutes
    Servings: 15
    "This one is a quick recipe that merely involves mixing a few basic ingredients and patting the dough into the pan. No need to wait for the dough to rise with this approach."

Ingredients:
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon white sugar
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

Directions:
    1. Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on a large pizza pan. Top as desired.

2. Bake at 375 degrees C (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.
    I usually use Pizza Dough III from that same site but with less sugar or the recipe from my bread-maker. You can re-scale the recipes down at All Recipes.

All Recipes