Thread: Chocolate Spaghetti with Whipped Cream, Sliced Strawberries and Chocolate Nibs

1. #1 Chocolate Spaghetti with Whipped Cream, Sliced Strawberries and Chocolate Nibs 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Chocolate Spaghetti with Whipped Cream, Sliced Strawberries and Chocolate Nibs

Ingredients

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar plus 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
    Pinch salt
    4 large eggs
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons walnut oil or vegetable oil
    1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
    1 tablespoon Nocello or brandy
    1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh strawberries
    1/2 cup chocolate nibs or finely chopped semisweet chocolate

Directions

Into a large bowl or on a work surface, sift together the flour, cocoa, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center and add the eggs a bit at a time, working them into the dry ingredients using a circular motion with your hands. Continue working in the eggs, and add the vanilla and oil, until a sticky dough is formed. Knead on a lightly floured surface until the dough is smooth and elastic, and is no longer sticky. (Alternatively, place the dry ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, add the eggs, vanilla and oil and pulse to form a ball of dough. Turn out onto a work surface and work to a smooth dough.) Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.

Divide the dough into 4 fist-sized pieces and flatten into disks. One at a time, roll out each dough piece through the widest setting of a pasta machine, according to the manufacturer's instructions. Remove, fold into thirds and repeat. Continue rolling through the machine on 4 times, dusting lightly with flour to keep from sticking. Decrease the roller size down 1 notch, and roll through once, passing the dough through each setting twice until the desired thickness is reached and cut into spaghetti strands. Let dry briefly while assembling the "sauce."

In a medium bowl, beat the cream with an electric mixer at medium speed until it becomes thick and frothy. Beating, add the sugar and Nocello, and beat until soft peaks form, being careful not to over beat. Set aside until ready to serve.

Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the pasta until just al dente, about 2 minutes. Drain in a colander. Place the drained pasta in a large pasta bowl and toss with the whipped cream, strawberries and nibs. Serve immediately.

Thanks megi. That looks a nice combination. Have you ever tried chocolate pasta?

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Thanks megi. That looks a nice combination. Have you ever tried chocolate pasta?
    No,Not yet..My tastes run to the more conventional .Have you tried
    Ganache filled chocolate ravioli with raspberry coulis ?........or these .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFE7-...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    No,Not yet..My tastes run to the more conventional .Have you tried
    Ganache filled chocolate ravioli with raspberry coulis ?........or these .
    No, this is my first foray into chocolate pasta.

Chocolate Fettuccine

Serves 4

Ingredients:
    2 cups semolina flour
    2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    3 large eggs, beaten
    Ice water, if needed

Directions:
    Sift together the flour, cocoa and sugar. Mix the vanilla with the eggs. Add flour slowly to the eggs. Knead into a smooth ball (add small amounts of ice water if required). Roll and cut dough as desired.

White Chocolate Pannacotta with Raspberry Coulis

Pannacotta has to be one of the easiest desserts you can make. The name means cooked cream, and that's exactly what it is! You can flavour it in any way you want, with vanilla, coffee, cardamom...in my case, white chocolate! Now I have to apologise, as I forgot to take a picture of the finished coulis, but I assure you the bright pink of the coulis looks extremely pretty against the delicate, pale pannacotta. Moreover, its sharpness cuts beautifully through the richness of the dessert. Give it a go and let me know what you think!

INGREDIENTS (for 6 people)
    300 ml double cream
    180 ml milk
    150 gr of (good quality) white chocolate
    75 gr caster sugar
    4 gelatine leaves

FOR THE COULIS
    300 gr of frozen raspberries
    2 tablespoons of icing sugar
    1 tablespoon of lemon juice
    In a small saucepan, put the cream, sugar and chopped chocolate. Heat it up gently, stirring from time to time, until the chocolate has completely melted and the mixture is about to boil. Stop yourself from eating up all of this heavenly soup.

Put the gelatine leaves in a little bowl filled with ice-cold water and leave them to stand for a couple of minutes. Squeeze them to get rid of the excess water, then add them to the cooked cream (which you will *have left to cool a little. Never add gelatine to boiling liquids as its thickening properties will be significantly diminished. Check me out). Spoon the mixture in two six ramekins, cover with clingfilm and let it set in the fridge for at least six hours, or overnight if you can.

On to the coulis: whizz your raspberries with the icing sugar and a few drops of lemon in a food processor. Taste and adjust the 'seasoning' - it may be you need more sugar or lemon according to the sharpness of the fruit. When you are happy with the taste, strain your purée through a sieve, pushing it with the aid of the back of a spoon. Done!

Take the pannacotta out of the fridge about 30 minutes before serving it, and spoon the coulis on top, taking the rest to the table in case your guests want to help themselves to more. This is an ideal dessert to make it advance. Don't be fooled by the small portions - this is a really rich pudding and you'll find that one ramekin is more than enough. Unless you are my boyfriend, in which case you'll find that you'll need three.*

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    No, this is my first foray into chocolate pasta.
    I fear these are a trifle too decadant to my tastes,Pasta is food not desert .An Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Torte with a large bowl of Raspberry Lime sobet followed by a rich italian espresso is my idea of a desert .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    I fear these are a trifle too decadant to my tastes,Pasta is food not desert .An Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Torte with a large bowl of Raspberry Lime sobet followed by a rich italian espresso is my idea of a desert .
    I'll let you know how it turns out. I am intending to experiment with it this coming weekend.