Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 LED blubs and the death of the lightblub 
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    NEW YORK – Two leading makers of lighting products are showcasing LED bulbs that are bright enough to replace energy-guzzling 100-watt light bulbs set to disappear from stores in January.
    Their demonstrations at the LightFair trade show in Philadelphia this week mean that brighter LED bulbs will likely go on sale next year, but after a government ban takes effect.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110516/...9saXN0BHNsawNs

stupid AP :(

good old incandecent lightblubs are being banned at the end of the year, however their most viable replacement's aren't that great and the LED version will cost $50:eek:

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    $50 bucks apiece. I predict a run on candles and batteries. and an increase in electric rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    $50 bucks apiece. I predict a run on candles and batteries. and an increase in electric rates.
    run on blubs before they get banned and hording afterward, expect black market ones from Mexico and Canada as well as ebay prices going through the roof

nullification. Nuff said.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    nullification. Nuff said.
    QFT

I have a friend that became slightly obsessed with lightbulbs. He investigated them for months and has been slowly replacing through attrition, and otherwise, the bulbs in his home. After the electric bill arrives, he is always eager to tell me how low his has gotten.

Kinda weird but the dude is probably one of the best people I know when it comes to money.

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I have a friend that became slightly obsessed with lightbulbs. He investigated them for months and has been slowly replacing through attrition, and otherwise, the bulbs in his home. After the electric bill arrives, he is always eager to tell me how low his has gotten.

Kinda weird but the dude is probably one of the best people I know when it comes to money.
    so what are you saying he is doing? going led or cfl or what? and you know. some guys, in an effort to 'save money' will do the oddest things that in the long run does not make their family happy or the change worth the effort. Do i have to remind you of some guys intent to save on mileage.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post

I have a business acquaintance who claims that after switching to CFL all over her house, her electric bill has dropped dramatically. As this is a wealthy woman whose home probably uses more electricity to run the pool pump, jacuzzi, and boat AC than I use for my whole house, I find it hard to believe that lighting uses that much electric. My lowest bill evah, was eighty dollars and that was while I was on vacation.

The fridge, water heater, and AC are the big ticket items. Only by restricting use of hot water and AC do I keep my bill in check. Otherwise, it would be $300/mo/.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    so what are you saying he is doing? going led or cfl or what? and you know. some guys, in an effort to 'save money' will do the oddest things that in the long run does not make their family happy or the change worth the effort. Do i have to remind you of some guys intent to save on mileage.
    He started with CFL but quickly moved to LED. He would tell me the virtues and savings to be had and when my wife, who cannot stand anything but incandescent, would object on aesthetic grounds, he would talk about different types of light you can buy with LED.

He was like a salesman, I swear. But like I said, the guy is great with money.

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I have a business acquaintance who claims that after switching to CFL all over her house, her electric bill has dropped dramatically. As this is a wealthy woman whose home probably uses more electricity to run the pool pump, jacuzzi, and boat AC than I use for my whole house, I find it hard to believe that lighting uses that much electric. My lowest bill evah, was eighty dollars and that was while I was on vacation.

The fridge, water heater, and AC are the big ticket items. Only by restricting use of hot water and AC do I keep my bill in check. Otherwise, it would be $300/mo/.
    He lives in a modest house. Lights are a bigger percentage of his bill. It is also gas (like mine) so heating and cooking does not impact his electric bill.