Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Refusing to treat obese people also means that you are de facto turning down blacks and hispanics disproportionately. The discrimination laws generally are held that if you do something which results in racial/ethnic discrimination then you are guilty of discrimination, even if your act wasn't deliberately aimed at discriminating.
    Which is why those laws are bullshit.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I would think so as well, but if it's based on equipment concerns then probably not. If their equipment can't handle a 400lb woman, then what are they supposed to do?
    The same thing that a doctor who practices out of his suburban home is supposed to do for wheelchair bound patients: make a reasonable accommodation. There are exam tables out there which can handle higher weights. Women who weigh over 200 are not uncommon, especially in areas where there are lots of black, latino, or pacific islander women. To arbitrarily say that they won't take these people is asking for it. And what is going to take them down is that they are lying. I have just looked online and most of these exam tables have a 300 or 400 pound weight limit.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,584
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I would think so as well, but if it's based on equipment concerns then probably not. If their equipment can't handle a 400lb woman, then what are they supposed to do?


    See her at the hosptital, instead of the office. Hospitals have the necessary equipment, and all ob/gyns are on staff at a hospital. They have to be, to deliver babies.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Of Megi? No one wants to see that. :eek:
    Post a wide megapixel shot of your lovely self so as to capture your full girth Oh Beauteous One !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Fabulous Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,161
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Which is why those laws are bullshit.
    Those laws are intended to stop workarounds to the few legitimate nondiscrimination laws. They aren't arbitrary. They hold that you may have a policy which results in discrimination if it serves a legitimate purpose. If, for example you require that all employees be able to lift 100 pounds because that is part of the job, then it's OK. If you require that all employees be able to lift 100 pounds just because you like healthy young men or because you want to discriminate against women or midgets, then it's not legal.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Refusing to treat obese people also means that you are de facto turning down blacks and hispanics disproportionately. The discrimination laws generally are held that if you do something which results in racial/ethnic discrimination then you are guilty of discrimination, even if your act wasn't deliberately aimed at discriminating.
    I don't think that argument will really work in medicine. Docs refuse patients all the time for various reasons, including the patient's failure to follow medical advice. Refusing to treat obese pregnant women in a private clinic is no different from refusing to treat alcoholic or drug-addicted pregnant women in a private practice. Their obsession with food or drugs or whatever impacts their condition and makes adequate treatment difficult.

    Outside of an emergency situation (such as waiting for the paramedics to show up), I don't think doctors have an obligation to render treatment at all, legally.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't think that argument will really work in medicine. Docs refuse patients all the time for various reasons, including the patient's failure to follow medical advice. Refusing to treat obese pregnant women in a private clinic is no different from refusing to treat alcoholic or drug-addicted pregnant women in a private practice. Their obsession with food or drugs or whatever impacts their condition and makes adequate treatment difficult.

    Outside of an emergency situation (such as waiting for the paramedics to show up), I don't think doctors have an obligation to render treatment at all, legally.
    The OBGYNs in South Florida have been refusing litigeous patients for years with no court forcing them to accept someone who is likely to sue at some point in the future.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •