1. #1 Feds Sue STARBUCKS for Firing Dwarf... 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    (Reuters) - The U.S. government is suing Starbucks Coffee Company for firing a barista in El Paso because she is a dwarf.

When the employee asked for a stool or small stepladder to perform her job, Starbucks denied the request and fired her that same day, claiming that she could be a danger to customers and workers, according to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpER-...eature=related
    The commission, which filed the lawsuit on Monday, said that Starbucks violated federal law by denying a reasonable accommodation to the employee, who was hired in July 2009 and was fired after three days of training.

"Starbucks has become a virtual icon of modern American culture, appealing to an incredibly diverse customer base," Robert Canino, a commission lawyer in Dallas, said in a statement. "We'd hope that when considering hiring a person with a disability, Starbucks would choose to enhance its brand with the mark of equal opportunity and access."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...74G60020110517

I'll be darned it wasn't Pittsburgh.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

A lot of companies have a probation period during which you can be let go for any reason - including that the accommodation just didn't work out. If they saw safety issues during training, that would be a reason.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    yep, but of course this is going to require all counters be low enough that Poli can see over them :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    A lot of companies have a probation period during which you can be let go for any reason - including that the accommodation just didn't work out. If they saw safety issues during training, that would be a reason.

That may be so, but I bet that Starbucks settles this out of court. They don't want the bad publicity. They already have enough problems, now that McDonalds is selling similar coffee for half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    That may be so, but I bet that Starbucks settles this out of court. They don't want the bad publicity. They already have enough problems, now that McDonalds is selling similar coffee for half the price.
    And it's not bad. In fact, McD's coffee is quite impressive. And considering Starbucks' clientele, I find this story a bit ironic.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 05-18-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.