Thread: Deadly Horse Virus Shutting Down Shows Nationwide

1. #1 Deadly Horse Virus Shutting Down Shows Nationwide 
    Deadly Horse Virus Shutting Down Shows Nationwide

Horse owners and organizations nationwide are shutting down shows and other events as they work to keep a deadly horse virus from spreading.
    Reporter: KKTV

Horse owners and organizations nationwide are shutting down shows and other events as they work to keep a deadly horse virus from spreading.

Right now, the virus has been found in a few states, including Colorado and Utah. The Utah Department of Agriculture and Food is investigating the deadly outbreak of equine herpes. It has been traced to a horse cutting championship in Ogden, Utah, which ended last week. Five hundred horses were involved in the event.

Two horses, one from Colorado, became sick and were euthanized.

Experts say this particular disease is very rare, but is easily spread and also resistant to vaccines.

“The horses that they’ve had to euthanize…these are horses that are…professional athletes in their industry, they’re worth a lot of money. The horse industry out there is extremely upset about this, and they are rightfully so,” Bruce King, Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, said.

The disease isn’t harmful to humans, but people can spread the virus to horses by simply touching a sick animal, then touching a well one.
    I was just listening to the State Vet this morning and he says Colorado has 6 confirmed cases and 6 suspected cases. :(

KKTV

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    The disease isn’t harmful to humans, but people can spread the virus to horses by simply touching a sick animal, then touching a well one.
    Equine herpes, correct?

Just where the hell are these people "touching" their horses.

I know a few "horse people", but I can no longer look them in the face without laughing!
    Give a liberal a fish - he will eat for a day
    Teach a liberal to fish - he will come back tomorrow wanting more free fish!

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulpfishin View Post
    Equine herpes, correct?

I know a few "horse people", but I can no longer look them in the face without laughing!
    you know that herpes virus is more than an STD, right? :eek::p

Quote Originally Posted by Pulpfishin View Post
    Equine herpes, correct?

There's nothing funny about this. Horses can infect each other through airborne transmission, shared tack or stalls and trailers, or through humans spreading the virus on their hands, clothing, equipment, or boots.

As a horse owner, this a big deal for people. My horses are up to date on vaccinations and they haven't been to a show since January but this is already affecting a lot of other people. There are a lot of shows and competitions this time of year that will be closed which means money lost for he owners as well as the event centers. We aren't that far away from rodeo and fair season, either. It takes at least 21 days of quarantine after the last horse in a region is showing no clinical signs.

Thank god I have not lost the ability to find humor in lifes little ups and downs.

I love horses, on a plate or on someone elses land!:eek::D:p
    Give a liberal a fish - he will eat for a day
    Teach a liberal to fish - he will come back tomorrow wanting more free fish!