Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Mississippi River Flooding: Two Towns, Divided By A River 
    Mississippi River Flooding: Two Towns, Divided By A River, With Drastically Different Fates
    Chris Kirkham

First Posted: 05/18/11 07:58 AM ET Updated: 05/18/11 09:27 AM ET

VIDALIA, LA. –- Traffic has been swift for weeks along the majestic steel bridge that connects this low-lying river town to its sister city across the Mississippi River.

Moving vans filled with furniture, tractors and combines from cotton and corn fields, and truckloads of office supplies all head toward Natchez, Miss., the hilltop town less than a mile across the river that is quickly becoming an expatriate community for hundreds seeking higher ground.

As floodwaters and tensions rise in this scenic stretch of the Mississippi Valley, an informal exodus takes place in Vidalia, as neighborhoods empty and businesses relocate to higher ground on the opposite side of the river.

Call it a hardened sensibility to the powerful forces at play. Those who have lived along the river for generations are distinctly in tune with the rhythms of nature. And this year, nature said Vidalia should flee.

“She’s mean right now; she’s just treacherously mean,” said lifelong Vidalia resident Vicki Torrey, reflecting on the river. “And with our officials, I’m afraid. I’m afraid that Mother Nature is just gonna outwit them.”

Like many in Vidalia, Torrey essentially camps out in her home, after moving nearly every stick of furniture across the river to storage on higher ground. She and her husband still have their bed, refrigerator and two uncomfortable chairs.

Torrey’s dogs know something is awry, being without their usual beds for weeks now.

The migration across the Mississippi has happened during past floods, but never to the same extent as this year. Storage spaces in a 50-mile radius of Natchez are filled to the brim.

Short-term leases on apartments and houses on high ground have been popular, and the supply is dwindling.

“There’s a lot of ‘just in case’ preparation going on,” said Natchez real estate broker Glenn Green. “The supply has pretty much been used up. People are just asking favors of friends at this point.”

The differences in landscape between Natchez and Vidalia are the product of a geological anomaly along this stretch of the river that has played out over thousands of years.
    Huff Po

I've been kind-of-sort-of following this via the late local news. It's intriguing.

Any CUers have family or friends affected?

I live 20 miles from the river, but we've had no issues this far north.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I live 20 miles from the river, but we've had no issues this far north.
    How about ever?

I was watching them open a couple floodgates and just thought "damn, I hope this doesn't happen all that often".

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    How about ever?

I was watching them open a couple floodgates and just thought "damn, I hope this doesn't happen all that often".
    I don't think this region is too troubled. Last time I flew in we kinda traced the river up, and you'll notice that about a mile inland is a massive berm that's probably 50 feet high or so. There was a few buildings in that region, but for the most part it was pretty open country. That was on the Illinois side. The St. Louis side I'm not so sure about.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Banned
    I live about 5 miles from downtown Baton Rouge and at one of the highest elevations in the city. So, no worries here.

The whole notion of flood one area to save another stinks too much of politics for my tastes.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The whole notion of flood one area to save another stinks too much of politics for my tastes.
    The people that live in these low lying areas that will be flooded know the dangers, and the government informs them of such each and every year. As usual you do not know what you are talking about because this policy was set in STONE in 1928 after the great flood of 27 by the CONGRESS.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    The people that live in these low lying areas that will be flooded know the dangers, and the government informs them of such each and every year. As usual you do not know what you are talking about because this policy was set in STONE in 1928 after the great flood of 27 by the CONGRESS.
    http://www.examiner.com/architecture...e-constitution

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20062948.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...sourians_n.htm
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Your point?

This was the plan. Has been the plan for decades. Just as he said.