Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We were in Vidalia, LA about 2 weeks ago. We took a "drive-about" vacation, and I wanted to follow the Atchafalaya River basin from its head where it joins the Red River on south to Morgan City. We knew it was all going to be flooded. Everyone did.

Living in Vidalia would be tough right now. There is a residential area right up next to the levee, and I mean right up close. You could look out your window and have to look up a little to see the top of the levee. By now you would have to look up to see the level on the Mississippi River on the other side of the levee. That's unnerving to me.
    I had wanted to take LA15 south to follow the river, but it was blocked off already, so I didn't get to see the Morganza spillway.
    We finally stayed at a B&B in New Iberia for three days and visited the swamps and Bayou Teche. I think that whole area is absolutely beautiful, and can't get enough of it. On the way home we drove through Butte LaRose, which is on the river side of the levee at Henderson. I sopped at the marina and talked to some of the folks. They knew they were doomed to be flooded; it's just a question of how bad. And as we now know, it is very, very bad.

It's funny how life just goes on right up until the last moment. I talked with a guy delivering beer to a convenience store that is surely under water by now, and watched the convicts as they worked their asses off shoring up weak sections of the all important levee.

We love our drive-about vacations. It's all America, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Your point?

This was the plan. Has been the plan for decades. Just as he said.
    The plan has been there for decades - but I see nothing that states area X is always going to be flooded to save area Y.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    The plan has been there for decades - but I see nothing that states area X is always going to be flooded to save area Y.
    The Corp of Eng. decides when to open the locks so your assertion that it is political is wrong. I live within 20 miles of the Amite and Comite River. People that live there know the danger of flooding. Some build their houses/camps on stilts. Those that do not will eventually get flooded. I live in this area; you do not. Like I said, the Feds warn people that live in these areas. In a couple of months, the water will recede and they will come back and rebuild. Hunting and fishing is how many Cajuns make a living so they are not going anywhere unlike the lazy scum bags in New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    The Corp of Eng. decides when to open the locks so your assertion that it is political is wrong. I live within 20 miles of the Amite and Comite River. People that live there know the danger of flooding. Some build their houses/camps on stilts. Those that do not will eventually get flooded. I live in this area; you do not. Like I said, the Feds warn people that live in these areas. In a couple of months, the water will recede and they will come back and rebuild. Hunting and fishing is how many Cajuns make a living so they are not going anywhere unlike the lazy scum bags in New Orleans.
    The whole notion of flood one area to save another stinks too much of politics for my tastes.
    Is what I said. I did not say it IS political - it just stinks of it. K. It can easily give the appearance of being politically motivated and if Bush were still president you can bet your ass there would be cries of politics involved.

Banned
    Is what I said. I did not say it IS political - it just stinks of it. K. It can easily give the appearance of being politically motivated and if Bush were still president you can bet your ass there would be cries of politics involved.
    Only for the ones that are uneducated and those that do not live in this area.

Only for the ones that are uneducated and those that do not live in this area.
    Well given that no one with a brain is even willing to live in Louisiana . . . . you're argument is weak. :p

The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Banned
    Well given that no one with a brain is even willing to live in Louisiana . . . . you're argument is weak. :p
    I am glad I do not live in Shitsburg either. Best thing that ever happened there was when a LA boy named Terry Bradshaw played QB. Without him, you would be 4 super bowls short.

If I were you, I would not interject brains into the mix. Yours barely meets the minimum requirement for a union public school teacher.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 05-20-2011 at 01:16 AM.

I am glad I do not live in Shitsburg either. Best thing that ever happened there was when a LA boy named Terry Bradshaw played QB. Without him, you would be 4 super bowls short.
    And the best thing that ever happened to Terry was he got the hell out of inbreeding central and came to the Most Livable City in America.
    If I were you, I would not interject brains into the mix. Yours barely meets the minimum requirement for a union public school teacher.
    Says the guy who is proud to live in a swamp.

the Most Livable City in America.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg