Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The most hated baby names in America 
    The most hated baby names in America

Names that are hard to spell or were names that were originally used for another gender are among the least popular for newborns.
    By LiveScience
    Fri, Apr 29 2011 at 9:47 AM EST

It turns out that in the case of names, love and hate aren't mutually exclusive. A new informal survey of the most disliked names in America finds that popularity often breeds backlash, as a quick track to baby-name fame seems to also trigger hate for that name. Among the most-hated "trendy" names are Jayden, Brayden, Madison and Addison.

The most commonly cited name that put people's teeth on edge was Nevaeh, or "heaven" spelled backward. That name didn't exist until the 1990s, but it took off in popularity in 2003, shooting from the 150th most common baby name in that year to the 31st most popular in 2007 (as of 2009, it stood at No. 34).

"Nevaeh in particular seems to stand as this symbol … for what people don't like in modern baby names," Laura Wattenberg, author of "The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby" (Three Rivers Press, 2005), told LiveScience.

The most hated baby names

Wattenberg did the informal survey of hated names for her blog, The Baby Name Wizard. She scoured general-interest message boards online, looking for conversations about baby names that make people cringe. She included only two message boards that were specifically for baby names, because name enthusiasts tend to know trends and might skew the results. The other boards included a motorcycle travel forum, a video game fan board and several parenting forums. The participants skewed female and under the age of 60, Wattenberg said. All told, more than 1,500 names were cited. Wattenberg calculated which names came up the most. [See the list of most hated boy and girl names]

Wattenberg is quick to point out that the survey isn't scientific, but it does have the advantage of capturing the names people spontaneously hate. A formal survey that gave people an option to rank names would likely bias people by putting ideas into their heads, Wattenberg said.

The survey also turned up a few interesting trends. The first is that people hate gender-bending names, particularly when a masculine name becomes feminine, as with Madison (which tied for second-most-hated for boys with 16 separate mentions) and Addison (which tied for sixth with eight mentions). They also hate names they can't spell, including Kaitlyn, which got eight mentions and tied for sixth. (People say "Caitlin" is fine because it's traditional, Wattenberg said, though the original Irish pronunciation of that spelling would be closer to "Kathleen.")
    More at he link.

MMM

Old but good (there must be a couple of people who haven't heard of it): http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Old but good (there must be a couple of people who haven't heard of it): http://www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/
    If parents wanted to be really cutting edge, I mean way hipper-than-thou, they would name their kids John and Mary.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    my son's name is Addison, and he was named that BEFORE that damn Grey's Anatomy, I'm so sick of hearing little girls named Addison when it is quite clearly a boy's name it means "Adam's son" how the hell do you give that to a girl?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    they would name their kids John and Mary.
    God forbid.

And without even clicking the link I knew that backwards heaven would be in the one slot.

Any CUers with nevaeh's in their family...you guys are OK. :D

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    my son's name is Addison, and he was named that BEFORE that damn Grey's Anatomy, I'm so sick of hearing little girls named Addison when it is quite clearly a boy's name it means "Adam's son" how the hell do you give that to a girl?
    Before Grey's Anatomy, there was this Addison:

"Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    It's mostly because people don't give any thought to a names meaning any more - they only want to appear to be cool so they torture their kids with something that is cool for about 2.1 seconds for the rest of their poor miserable lives. :(

I mean how many people here actually know what their name means? My full name means: Greatest Jehovah increases the brave. :p

ETA - I've met 3 Addisons - all girls.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Before Grey's Anatomy, there was this Addison:

while that might be, that didn't make the name super popular like Grey's has, and I know for a fact many people are naming their kids after that character and not Bruce Willis' characters' last name
    Last edited by fettpett; 05-19-2011 at 02:38 PM.

I predict that as first names become increasingly difficult to spell or pronounce, we'll see a gradual return to using more formal titles: Ms. Smith, Mr. Matson, Mrs. Wright, etc.

Absolutely nothing infuriates people more than having some loud mangling of their name in public or having to spell out their name every single time they use it in public. Even now, I know people with variant names who use fake names at Starbucks or in restaurants because it's just to painful to correct everyone constantly.

I sincerely hope that the day will come when this change happens. Especially with total strangers, it's sometimes annoying to be first-named all the time. I'm not your friend, buddy, confidant, or potential girlfriend; I'm a client. Pretend that my time and money can buy me a little fake respect for a couple of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I predict that as first names become increasingly difficult to spell or pronounce, we'll see a gradual return to using more formal titles: Ms. Smith, Mr. Matson, Mrs. Wright, etc.
    I hope not! I have an easy first name but everyone mangles my last name! ;)