Thread: Respect Pak Sovereignty, China tells US

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    they are a wanna be "Great power" they can just barely project their power into NK and now Pakistan...
    They have been in Kashmir for a while now.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,639
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    they sure as hell aren't a super power, they can't deploy anywhere in the world, like the US and even Russian can now. They do have a growing influence, but they are still a regional power
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    China's military is not the equal of the U.S. military right now.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13450316
    You are both correct, for the moment. And, if you had said that Japan is not a threat to the US in 1918, you'd have been correct, then, but if you'd said it in 1941, you'd have been very wrong. China is developing naval facilities in the Indian Ocean with the help of Pakistan. Those facilities, combined with oil pipelines, which are also in the works, will put China into contention as a player in the Middle East. Today, they don't have a true "blue water" navy, but a decade from now, they will. They also don't need to match us ship for ship, since our naval assets are spread throughout the world. They just need to be able to engage us in those AOs that matter to them, such as the western Pacific and Indian Ocean.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    You are both correct, for the moment. And, if you had said that Japan is not a threat to the US in 1918, you'd have been correct, then, but if you'd said it in 1941, you'd have been very wrong. China is developing naval facilities in the Indian Ocean with the help of Pakistan. Those facilities, combined with oil pipelines, which are also in the works, will put China into contention as a player in the Middle East. Today, they don't have a true "blue water" navy, but a decade from now, they will. They also don't need to match us ship for ship, since our naval assets are spread throughout the world. They just need to be able to engage us in those AOs that matter to them, such as the western Pacific and Indian Ocean.
    I'm not saying that they aren't a threat, now or in the future, they are. I was just refuting Poli's comment that they are a Superpower now, which they are not. They aren't even a great power as they can barely project their power outside their own sphere of influence. 10-20 years from now, it'll be a different story.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I'm not saying that they aren't a threat, now or in the future, they are. I was just refuting Poli's comment that they are a Superpower now, which they are not. They aren't even a great power as they can barely project their power outside their own sphere of influence. 10-20 years from now, it'll be a different story.
    Being a superpower is as much about perception as reality.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Being a superpower is as much about perception as reality.
    while true, they are still looked down upon by the rest of the world. 90% of their country is still backwater agricultural areas. the parts that aren't are only modern in the sense that they are built huge and of concrete and steel. their infrastructure is shoddy at best and population is barely educated.

    are they rich? yes.
    are they a regional power? yes
    do they have growing influence? yes
    could they out pace us if we sit back and have shitbrain Presidents and Congress critters? in a damn heart beat

    are they a Great Power or Super Power? not even close, yet
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    while true, they are still looked down upon by the rest of the world. 90% of their country is still backwater agricultural areas. the parts that aren't are only modern in the sense that they are built huge and of concrete and steel. their infrastructure is shoddy at best and population is barely educated.

    are they rich? yes.
    are they a regional power? yes
    do they have growing influence? yes
    could they out pace us if we sit back and have shitbrain Presidents and Congress critters? in a damn heart beat

    are they a Great Power or Super Power? not even close, yet
    Are they giving billions in foreign and military aid in Africa, South America and the rest of the third world?
    Are they standing up to the US?
    Does most of the third world already think we're weak due to the idiotic way politicians have handed international various crisis?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southwest Michigan (in Exile)
    Posts
    8,757
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Are they giving billions in foreign and military aid in Africa, South America and the rest of the third world?
    Are they standing up to the US?
    Does most of the third world already think we're weak due to the idiotic way politicians have handed international various crisis?
    sure, but that is just like being involved with crime syndicates, you use the resources you do have, which the Chinese have a ton of money

    I didn't say they weren't dangerous, even now, just not a big of a power player as some think. playing around int he dirt with the kindergarders will only get you so far. Once they decide to come play on the jungle gym with the big kids it's a different story.

    China is just like the Soviet Union was, a 3rd world Country with a more advanced military.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •