Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Adult Baby May Have To 'Grow Up' (Threatens Suicide) 
    Senator questions benefits to ‘adult baby’

Coburn sees possible fraud
    516 Comments and 223 Reactions

By Stephen Dinan

The Washington Times
    9:37 p.m., Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A key senator has asked the Social Security Administration to investigate how people who live their lives role-playing as “adult babies” are able to get taxpayer-funded disability payments — after one of them was featured on a recent reality TV episode wearing diapers, feeding from a bottle and using an adult-sized crib he built.

Sen. Tom Coburn, Oklahoma Republican and the Senate’s top waste-watcher, asked the agency’s inspector general to look into 30-year-old Stanley Thornton Jr. and his roommate, Sandra Dias, who acts as his “mother,” saying it’s not clear why they are collecting Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits instead of working.

“Given that Mr. Thornton is able to determine what is appropriate attire and actions in public, drive himself to complete errands, design and custom-make baby furniture to support a 350-pound adult and run an Internet support group, it is possible that he has been improperly collecting disability benefits for a period of time,” Mr. Coburn wrote in a letter Monday to Inspector General Patrick P. O'Carroll Jr.

The request comes at a time when members of Congress are struggling to cut budgets and weed out waste to try to bring down the staggering deficit, and comes just days after Social Security’s trustees released a grim assessment of the program’s long-term financial health.
    Washington Times

In an email response to The Washington Times, Mr. Thornton threatened to kill himself if his Social Security payments are taken away, and said the television episode showing him doing woodwork oversold his abilities.

“You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don’t care,” the California man said. “I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag.”
    In keeping with the baby theme, Thornton handles the news about as well as can be expected for a toddler.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Sounds like a perfect solution to his problem to me.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    In keeping with the baby theme, Thornton handles the news about as well as can be expected for a toddler.
    :D
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Hah!

He probably takes home $750 a month in SSI, tops. Yet, he made his own crib and probably sews his own
    "baby clothes". He could make a lot of money selling made to order objects like that to the fetish community.

I wonder if he got his "nanny" declared as a caregiver and we the taxpayers are paying her for servicing him? Those caregivers are usually given that status because he or she is a family member who is caring for a physically handicapped spouse, parent or other relative.

eagleexpress
    Oh boo hoo grow the hell up and quit taking advantage of the system

I can't say as I would miss him or his 5 year old like extortion claim.

What a fricking baby!

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Hah!

He probably takes home $750 a month in SSI, tops. Yet, he made his own crib and probably sews his own
    "baby clothes". He could make a lot of money selling made to order objects like that to the fetish community.

I wonder if he got his "nanny" declared as a caregiver and we the taxpayers are paying her for servicing him? Those caregivers are usually given that status because he or she is a family member who is caring for a physically handicapped spouse, parent or other relative.
    Yup, he's investigating her as well.

Mr. Coburn also questions why Miss Dias, as a former nurse, collects SSI benefits, “since she is able to provide childcare” to Mr. Thornton.
    2011 CU Fantasy Baseball Champion

Good one!

“You wanna test how damn serious I am about leaving this world, screw with my check that pays for this apartment and food. Try it. See how serious I am. I don’t care,” the California man said. “I have no problem killing myself. Take away the last thing keeping me here, and see what happens. Next time you see me on the news, it will be me in a body bag.”
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.