1. #1 Wisconsin Passes Voter ID Bill 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    MADISON, Wis. (AP) – The state Senate gave final legislative approval Thursday to a bill that would require Wisconsin voters to show photo identification at the polls, setting the plan up for Gov. Scott Walker’s signature.

Assembly Republicans passed the measure in a late-night session last week.

Republicans who control the Senate brought the bill up for debate on Tuesday, but Democrats railed against it until the early morning hours on Wednesday. In a last-ditch effort, they used a procedural maneuver to delay the final vote until Thursday morning.
    Republicans limited debate to an hour when senators came to the floor. Democrats used 10 minutes complaining about the limits, but Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said Democrats had plenty of opportunity to speak. In the end the bill passed 19-5 along party lines. It’s all but certain Walker will sign the measure into law.

Spectators in the Senate gallery exploded into shouts and screams after the vote, yelling “Shame! Shame! Shame!” and “Recall! Recall! Recall!” They then burst into singing “We Shall Overcome.”

Republicans have been pushing the photo ID bill for years. They contend it’s needed to curtail voter fraud. Democrats maintain widespread voter fraud doesn’t exist and Republicans really want to disenfranchise groups that support Democrats, such as senior citizens, college students and the poor. Then-Gov. Jim Doyle, a Democrat, vetoed similar GOP proposals three times between 2002 and 2005. Now Republicans control both houses of the Legislature and the governor’s office, clearing the way for passage.

Sen. Bob Jauch, D-Poplar, accused Republicans of acting like dictators.
    “Madison looks more like Moscow today,” Jauch said. “This is a Republican majority that has gone berserk with power.”

Republicans sat quietly, waiting for the Democrats to use up their time. Still, Sen. Frank Lasee, R-De Pere, stood up to respond to Jauch, saying in today’s world people need an ID to do nearly everything, from driving a car to buying beer and most people want to make sure everyone else is voting legally.

“If you plan your life, you can get (an ID). And most people already have one,” he said. “One fraudulent vote cancels out a legal vote.”

Under the bill, voters would have to present a driver’s license, a state ID, a passport, a military ID, naturalization papers or a tribal ID. College students could vote with a school ID as long as it has their signature and an expiration date that falls within two years of the card’s issuance. University of Wisconsin IDs currently don’t meet that criteria and would have to be updated to comply before students could vote.

Voters would be asked for ID in elections starting this year but will be allowed to vote without one. Beginning next year, they would not be allowed to cast a ballot without one.

A number of other changes would take effect immediately, including requiring voters to sign poll books and to live at their current address for 28 days rather than 10 before they could cast a ballot.

“In the end, what we’re doing here is very clear. Republicans want to wreck the Democratic Party,” said Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton. “This bill is indefensible. This legislation is based on rumors and lies.”

-------------

I love how it ends, with “In the end, what we’re doing here is very clear. Republicans want to wreck the Democratic Party,”, because the Dems only exist due to their cheating.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Good.

I've never understood anyone having a problem with something like this.

And to those kooks on the far left reading this, if you don't support a requirement like this then you basically admit you're for cheating.

IDs are a good thingy. And I'm sure if they were provided free the kook left would STILL be against them.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Well, this is certainly going to put a crimp in the Left's recall plans. How are they going to get those recalls through without all of those fraudulent bussed-in union votes?
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Good.

I've never understood anyone having a problem with something like this.

And to those kooks on the far left reading this, if you don't support a requirement like this then you basically admit you're for cheating.

IDs are a good thingy. And I'm sure if they were provided free the kook left would STILL be against them.
    I am suspect to any barrier to voting that is proposed but to be honest, I am not quite sure what the problem with ID is. It could be that I am not in contact with people who do not have ID although a simple voter registration card should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    I am suspect to any barrier to voting that is proposed but to be honest, I am not quite sure what the problem with ID is. It could be that I am not in contact with people who do not have ID although a simple voter registration card should be sufficient.
    My mother, who died seven years ago, has not yet been purged off the rolls as of our last election (her name was still there near mine in the sign-in book). What is to prevent one of my sisters-in-law from going to the polls, presenting her voter registration card, and voting in her name?

Answer: nothing.

The simpler answer, IMO, would be to make voter registration cards actual photo IDs, just like a drivers' license.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    Well, this is certainly going to put a crimp in the Left's recall plans. How are they going to get those recalls through without all of those fraudulent bussed-in union votes?
    Not really, as it wont be in full effect for a full year.

Those against it in Wis. want those college votes by 'Temp' students. Those who enroll in a short course/program, vote, then leave. Also it is well documented of voter fraud across the state. And those who oppose trying to fix that fraud is trying to protect those who cheat.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    My mother, who died seven years ago, has not yet been purged off the rolls as of our last election (her name was still there near mine in the sign-in book). What is to prevent one of my sisters-in-law from going to the polls, presenting her voter registration card, and voting in her name?

Answer: nothing.

The simpler answer, IMO, would be to make voter registration cards actual photo IDs, just like a drivers' license.
    Or upon getting a driver's license, it acts as voter registration as well.

How bad is the democratic party and liberal ideas if the DEMS are worried that cutting down on voter fraud will destroy them?
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    How bad is the democratic party and liberal ideas if the DEMS are worried that cutting down on voter fraud will destroy them?
    The dynamic is whether or not the problem is important enough for the barrier voting. Obviously, to cut down on "voter fraud," huge obstacles could be put in place. You have weigh those obstacles against the benefit.

I keep hearing about how ID is an issue for some but it sounds like talking points to me. I haven't seen any evidence that this a major issue as far as individuals not having any. I guess we will find out if someone goes to the polls having legaly registered and are refused the right to vote.

Or upon getting a driver's license, it acts as voter registration as well.
    My understanding is that's how Michigan does it: when you get your DL, after your 18th birthday, you can register to vote, and then whenever you change your address with the DMV, it automatically changes your voter registration accordingly.

Makes sense to me.