Thread: These days ,a college classroom is an epistemological famine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 These days ,a college classroom is an epistemological famine. 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The War on Common Sense

Watching young people compile and try to display knowledge in a college classroom is similar to watching an epistemological famine.

I can say this as an adjunct professor in college and university systems since 2002. Their lack of knowledge is not a reflection on any one college or university but on the overall political and intellectual climate of late 20th and early 21st centuries.

My students, and with few exceptions the students of my colleagues, are the fruits of a garden planted with the intention of producing only identical fruit. As a guarantee to that end, the plants in this garden have been pruned of their trust in innate knowledge, i.e.,

Since common sense was not something the 20th century Left could easily regulate or control in academia, they took the path their ideological heroes had always taken when they came upon a nonconforming person or idea: they sought to eliminate it altogether. This effort, the war on common sense has tempted people of all ages and from all walks of life to question the validity of conscience and the greatness of this nation.
    A Darwinian worldview now dominates the classroom. When was the last time the word "teleology" was used in a university classroom in a non-pejorative sense? Teleology, the study of the evidence of order or design in nature, was once a staple in classic Western education.

Perhaps it is still used in philosophy when studying the thought of Thomas Aquinas or by the rare but much needed conservative professor, but usually the word is not employed unless it is being used to mock the ignorance of someone who claims to see design (and by extension the evidence of a Designer) in nature.

Epistemology:theory of knowledge,"What is knowledge?", "How is knowledge acquired?", and "What do people know?"

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...mon_sense.html

Excellent points.

PoMo ideas have poisoned our educational system. If you can't agree on "reality", you can't agree on anything nor can you learn anything. You are trapped in a constantly shifting circus of experiences that no one else shares and which can't be communicated to others in any meaningful way. My dog lives this exact life.

Doc has no awareness of history or culture. He is subject to seemingly random intrusions and restrictions in his life. Doc has no ability to discern between competing knowledge frameworks because he can't think about thinking. He has no common sense.

He's a great dog and really good looking but I don't want Doc crafting laws or teaching young children.

Doc is very lucky.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Excellent points.

PoMo ideas have poisoned our educational system. If you can't agree on "reality", you can't agree on anything nor can you learn anything. You are trapped in a constantly shifting circus of experiences that no one else shares and which can't be communicated to others in any meaningful way. My dog lives this exact life.

Doc has no awareness of history or culture. He is subject to seemingly random intrusions and restrictions in his life. Doc has no ability to discern between competing knowledge frameworks because he can't think about thinking. He has no common sense.

He's a great dog and really good looking but I don't want Doc crafting laws or teaching young children.
    It's all part of the grand scheme for a new and Dumber America !Those old Maoist Hippies College Professors did their Homework !

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Doc is very lucky.;)
    Would you care for a lobotomy to enjoy his freedom,you too can be happy and carefree !
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-07-2008 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Would you care for a lobotomy to enjoy his freedom,you to can be happy and carefree !
    According to Sonnabend that's my natural state anyway.;)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Teleology, the study of the evidence of order or design in nature, was once a staple in classic Western education.
    There is no evidence of design in nature. One can speculate that evidence of design exists in nature but that is as far as one can go... speculation.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    There is no evidence of design in nature. One can speculate that evidence of design exists in nature but that is as far as one can go... speculation.

"So one elephant having a trunk was odd; but all elephants having trunks looked like a plot."!

Nature adapts the organ to the function, and not the function to the organ
    – Aristotle "!
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-07-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Eyelids
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Pretty much. Its all opinions and schools shouldnt be teaching opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Pretty much. Its all opinions and schools shouldnt be teaching opinions.
    LOL....You are entertaining, and for that, I am glad you have returned.

A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind.
    - John Maynard Keynes

The feeble tremble before opinion, the foolish defy it, the wise judge it, the skillful direct it.
    - Jeanne-Marie Roland

We should be eternally vigilant against attempts to check the expression of opinions that we loathe.
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Opinions are formed in a process of open discussion and public debate, and where no opportunity for the forming of opinions exists, there may be moodsómoods of the masses and moods of individuals, the latter no less fickle and unreliable than the formeróbut no opinion.
    - Hannah Arendt

What about Supreme Court opinions, do you think they are not worthy of study?