Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 20 Million Americans Ripped Off By AT&T Data Plans 
    Up to 20 million Americans 'overcharged' by AT&T for data usage

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 8:05 AM on 20th May 2011

AT&T are 'systematically overcharging' up to 20 million Americans who use their iPhone or iPad to access data on the go, an investigation has uncovered. The lawsuit alleges the phone giant routinely over charges customers between 7 and 14 per cent, and in some cases up to 300 per cent.

In tests, engineers said they found the company charged for downloading data and surfing the web even when the iPhones remained untouched.

Speaking to MSNBC, lawyer Barry Davis who worked on the suit, said: 'It's like a rigged gas pump. 'Where when you go to the gas station and ask for a gallon of gas but only get 9/10's.' When asked by a reporter whether his team found overcharging for every single transaction, he replied: 'yes, every single one.'

The reporter the asked: 'Did you ever find a discrepancy where the customer was undercharged?' Mr Davis replied: 'Never. Always an overcharge, never an undercharge.'

Over 20 million Americans have iPhones or iPads with AT&T, who until a few months ago were the sole network allowed to sell the phones.

In order to test the allegations, the team bought several new iPhones, disabled all software that would automatically access the internet or download data and left them on, but un touched, for 10 days. When they received the bill, they found AT&T had charged them for 35 different transactions.

Independent engineers also measured the amount of data downloaded in a series of tests, and then compared the results to the bill sent by AT&T.

They found that in every case AT&T overcharged by between 7-14 per cent, and in some cases by as much as 300 per cent.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz1MuIHcG8u

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    doesn't surprise me...they just bought T-Moble, feel bad for those customers

not that Sprint is any better...I got charged $75 because i used the internet a couple times, $.03/kb...bullshit

I had one of their data dongles over two years ago, they told me it was unlimited down load. The next day several gigabytes later I logged on to my att the first time and it said I was over on my usage. I went down to the store and asked them how I could be over on an unlimited plan and he said that it was like unlimited because nobody ever used all that data. They checked my usage and said I owed them 700.00 for one evenings use.
    I canceled the contract and they lowered the charge to 35.00 since they had told me wrong. They are still billing me for that 35.00 but I told them to sue me!
    How is obama working out for you?
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    They are still billing me for that 35.00 but I told them to sue me!
    You should probably just pay it. Or offer them $10 to settle. They won't sue you. They'll just refer you to a collections agency and your credit will get dinged.

You'll only wind up F'ing yourself for a $35 grudge.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    You should probably just pay it. Or offer them $10 to settle. They won't sue you. They'll just refer you to a collections agency and your credit will get dinged.

he can dispute the charge on his credit report

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    he can dispute the charge on his credit report
    I'm pretty sure that even if it's disputed, and the charge is legit, it won't be removed. And he'll still be dinged. I'm not 100% sure but why take the chance?

I had a similar beef a bunch of years ago but it was so close to rolling off I didn't even bother with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

I probably should, they pissed me off by lying to me to get me to sign up and the manager told me that the employee admitted to telling me the plan was unlimited, that was why they voided the contract. There was supposed to be no charge and then they sent me the bill, I went back down and complained to her and she said she would remove it but never did.
    http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/5d569df9-186a-477b-a665-3ea8a8b9b655_zpse9003e54.jpg

So are we going to get a refund?
    I have an Iphone4 and AT&T.
    I want my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    So are we going to get a refund?
    I have an Iphone4 and AT&T.
    I want my money back.
    Duh, the rapture hello!

And people laughed at me because I have a pretty basic phone.

Whose laughing now huh? HUH?! :D
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.