1. #1 Vietnam hero cures an old Rutgers wound 
    Vietnam hero cures an old Rutgers wound

By Michael Smerconish

Inquirer Columnist

This time it was different for David Christian.

Forty years ago, he attempted to pursue a law degree upon his return from Vietnam and rehabilitation in veterans' hospitals. He'd been through hell, and the last place he expected to face more of it was in academia. But the climate in the late 1960s and early '70s was often inhospitable to those who had served in Vietnam, even the most highly decorated.

The Bristol native first enlisted in the Army paratroopers at 17. He was the youngest second lieutenant in Army history (at 18), then the youngest first lieutenant and the youngest captain. His platoon earned a reputation as one of the Army's best reconnaissance units, nicknamed "Christian's Butchers."

On Oct. 29, 1968 (three days after his 20th birthday), Lt. Christian was in charge of the lead element of a reconnaissance-in-force mission 10 miles northwest of Quan Loi, near the mouth of the Ho Chi Minh Trail. During an attempt to skirt an enemy camp, Christian's nine-man unit came under heavy fire.

Cut off and low on ammunition, Christian and his men fought back with hand grenades, bayonets, and light antitank weapons. Rather than hunker down, Christian led his troops forward until they became pinned down 10 meters short of an enemy bunker. Disregarding his own safety, he assaulted the fortification alone and destroyed it with hand grenades. He was twice wounded in the four-hour engagement. When reinforcements arrived, he refused medical attention until his wounded men had been safely evacuated.

The wounds he sustained in Vietnam from many battles drove him into retirement at 21. He was shot in the back, chest, legs, and left arm. He was paralyzed in his right hand, received napalm burns on 40 percent of his body, and spent six years in hospitals recovering.

The Bucks Countian is one of America's most decorated veterans of any war. His service earned him seven Purple Hearts, the Distinguished Service Cross, two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star, the Air Medal, the Combat Infantryman's Badge, and two Vietnamese Crosses of Gallantry.

When he was sufficiently rehabbed so he could continue with his life, he graduated from Villanova University - it took him only 19 months - and then enrolled at the Rutgers University Law School in Camden in 1973.

But this was a different time. After a story was published about his heroism in Vietnam, Christian told me, his life "became hell."
    Much more at the link and much of it infuriating.

Philly

I swear, if I could resurrect one person . . . It would be Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain so he could give those jackasses at Rutgrers a lesson or two. :mad:

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    I swear, if I could resurrect one person . . . It would be Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain so he could give those jackasses at Rutgrers a lesson or two. :mad:

~QC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_A._Christian

http://www.davidchristian.us/politics.htm

http://www.davidchristian.us/author.htm

http://www.davidchristian.us/creds.htm

http://www.davidchristian.us/test.htm

Christian said certain of the deans had disputed the existence and severity of his war injuries, many of which are not obvious. "I was asked by the administration to disrobe in front of the student body because they didn't think I was a disabled veteran," Christian said.
    I would have dropped my pants, grabbed my dick and said on your knees cocksuckers
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Fabulous Poster
    The whole story is rather surprising.

The Dean of Rutgers from 1971 to 1976 was an Army veteran who was born in 1925 and who had served in WWII. His predecessor (1959 - 1971) was born in 1911 and had served in WWII in the Army Intelligence Corps.