Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    But there are certain breeds that need special monitoring if they are to continue being a viable breed and "pit bulls" meet that criteria.
    And that's my position. I have little patience with dogs who will bite, and none at all with those who kill. Many of the cases (read the link) were cases where the victims knew the dogs and had previously played with them.
    And if you kill all the pitts and rotties then the people who misuse these dogs will pick two other breeds to replace them.
    "Adopt other breeds"? What, like a Shi Tzu? Read the evidence. Pitts and Rotts who kill people were not "misused". In MOST cases they were pets.
    I find this statement as suspect as when gun control fans refer to "gun deaths". It's too general. All gun deaths are not murders. I suspect that all fatal dog bites didn't happen to innocent bystanders either.
    Gun Death? Really? You compare a gun, fully under control and operated by a human being,with a dog? You dismiss the fact that fully 1/4 of people killed are killed by Pit Bulls, equating it to a statistic that may show 1/4 of all people are killed by, say, Smith & Wessons?
    And under what circumstances SHOULD a person be killed by dog?

Quote Originally Posted by TruckerMe View Post
    And that's my position. I have little patience with dogs who will bite, and none at all with those who kill. Many of the cases (read the link) were cases where the victims knew the dogs and had previously played with them.

"Adopt other breeds"? What, like a Shi Tzu? Read the evidence. Pitts and Rotts who kill people were not "misused". In MOST cases they were pets.

Gun Death? Really? You compare a gun, fully under control and operated by a human being,with a dog? You dismiss the fact that fully 1/4 of people killed are killed by Pit Bulls, equating it to a statistic that may show 1/4 of all people are killed by, say, Smith & Wessons?
    And under what circumstances SHOULD a person be killed by dog?
    The link you provided shows a case where a Pomeranian mauled an infant to death.

Large dogs are going to inherently do more bodily harm when they bite. They have stronger jaws, so it's a side effect. Because of that, they will get more attention. Yesterday my wife was bitten by a Boston Terrier. It left some pretty signficant bruising, and she was still feeling pain later that night.

Most attacks like that will go unreported (as did ours). If we were to have clear statistics of ALL attacks, then I believe it would be extremely likely that the odds would greatly shift. I've been the victim of several small dog attacks. I've witnessed plenty of others. I've never once seen a large dog attack anyone.

And I don't at all find it hard to believe that most people are in the same camp as I.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    The link you provided shows a case where a Pomeranian mauled an infant to death.

Large dogs are going to inherently do more bodily harm when they bite. They have stronger jaws, so it's a side effect. Because of that, they will get more attention. Yesterday my wife was bitten by a Boston Terrier. It left some pretty signficant bruising, and she was still feeling pain later that night.

Most attacks like that will go unreported (as did ours). If we were to have clear statistics of ALL attacks, then I believe it would be extremely likely that the odds would greatly shift. I've been the victim of several small dog attacks. I've witnessed plenty of others. I've never once seen a large dog attack anyone.

And I don't at all find it hard to believe that most people are in the same camp as I.
    Yeah, in this case we're talking about dogs that kill, so including all dog bites changes the subject. Almost none of the recognized breeds will kill. Clearly, Pitt Bulls will.
    Last edited by Starbuck; 05-22-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    my son was bit by a Rot back in October...Do I blame the breed? no, I blame the fucking idiot that owned the dogs and couldn't keep the animals on a lease, particularly since these dogs had bitten before and found out the guy's dogs had bitten before

Yeah, in this case we're talking about dogs that kill, so including all dog bites changes the subject . Almost none of the recognized breeds will kill.
    And they kill because of the inherent strength within the breed. If you took a Chihuahua and gave it the size and strength of a pit bull, then do you doubt we'd be seeing similar numbers from them?

I'd contend the dogs are no more prone to attack than any other breed. They just have more noteriety because their body allows for that damage to occur.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Didn't we cover this from every possible angle a week ago?
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    And they kill because of the inherent strength within the breed. If you took a Chihuahua and gave it the size and strength of a pit bull, then do you doubt we'd be seeing similar numbers from them?
    I have no doubt that you could breed a killer Chihuahua. That's my point. Pitt Bulls have been bred to fight and kill. Chihuahua's have not. If they were, they would be unwelcome.
    Pit bulls have been bred specifically to be aggressive. They're descended from the now- extinct old English "bulldogge," a big, tenacious breed used in the brutal early- nineteenth-century sport of bull baiting, in which rowdy spectators watched dogs tear apart an enraged bull.
    http://www.city-journal.org/html/9_2_scared_of_pit.html

I'd contend the dogs are no more prone to attack than any other breed. They just have more noteriety because their body allows for that damage to occur.
    Then why are there only 7 St Bernards on the list?

You may answer if you like, and I promise I'll read it, but I'm done.
    When I get around Pitt Bulls I will always be careful. I'm sure you will take care of yourself, too.:)

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Didn't we cover this from every possible angle a week ago?
    yep, and it's the same people making the same dumb arguments about pits and other "dangerous" breeds

I have no doubt that you could breed a killer Chihuahua. That's my point. Pitt Bulls have been bred to fight and kill. Chihuahua's have not. If they were, they would be unwelcome.
    Pit bulls have been bred specifically to be aggressive. They're descended from the now- extinct old English "bulldogge," a big, tenacious breed used in the brutal early- nineteenth-century sport of bull baiting, in which rowdy spectators watched dogs tear apart an enraged bull.
    http://www.city-journal.org/html/9_2_scared_of_pit.html

You may answer if you like, and I promise I'll read it, but I'm done.
    When I get around Pitt Bulls I will always be careful. I'm sure you will take care of yourself, too.:)
    Some breeds can be bred to kill, like the pit bull. The greyhounds don't seem to have the ability to learn to kill (other than those with a high prey drive getting a bunny or a cat). Generally, the greys have a low incidence of biting. They certainly have a large enough jaw and are large dogs.

Sadly, the greys usually don't defend themselves when attacked. My first grey was attacked by a much smaller springer spaniel. He did nothing to defend himself. My ex did nothing to defend him either, one of the 1001 reasons he was my ex.

A friend of mine had her greyhound attacked by a pit bull. She's a small woman and never will know how she got the pit bull off her dog, other than the fact that she probably turned into a creature from hell defending her baby. Her dog is a very sweet dog and is taking a long time getting the courage to go for a walk again. The poor doggie just wants to go in her fenced back yard.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

Because there are alot less St. Bernards than there are Pit Bulls.

BTW 200 people are killed by cows each year.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad