1. #1 Anbar Province "not really" turned over to the Iraqi's?? 
    A guy on another board posted this. Can anyone confirm what he's saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse145 View Post
    I'm going to put this out there because I spent 9 months in the middle of anbar province living between ramadi and fallujah right on the main road I met a lot of Iraqi people, and you know what they all told me? That saddam might have been an evil arrogant bastard, but he could keep the whole country under control that the iraqi people are a tribal people and for centuries they have fought with each others and only with a tyrant like saddam in power could they be united even if only by fear.

Now us giving anbar province back to the Iraqi's is a joke I emailed 3 or my friends sitting at the same base I was sitting at 3.5 years ago. On this same subject yesterday, and guess what nothing has changed all that much. The guys still drive out the front gate everyday and the medivac helicopters are still flying out everyday and people are still driving back everyday through that same gate with one or two less people in their vehicle, and the medivac helos are still making their life saving trips all over the damn province. Its bull**** to say that we gave the province back to them because honestly we haven't this is just a stunt by bushes people to make it look like things are going better than they really are. Now these aren't my thoughts these are words from some very close friends of mine who are sitting in the middle of one of the most deadly roads in iraq. Now I will admit that from talking to them it is better slightly than when I was there, but these guys have been there for a total of 5 years between all three of them they have seen it all been a part of it all and they were like wtf how can they say that we gave them control, two of the three have been there for 11 months now and the only time they see iraqi soldiers are when they are in the chow hall and then other one hasn't seen any iraqi's and they all said they aren't seeing them out on the streets, at least not in ramadi and fallujah.
    Hello, welcome to the United States of America.
    Please press 1 for English. If you can't please press 2 to disconnect until you learn how to speak English. Thank you.

Sonnabend
    I smell BS.

The whole thing sounds like a talking point memo

Well I know the guy that claimed that has been to Iraq a bunch serving in (I think) the Air Force, so he's not just some random DUmmie yelling talking points, he's been there in person. Do we have anyone here thats deployed to Iraq and in the Anbar Province?
    Hello, welcome to the United States of America.
    Please press 1 for English. If you can't please press 2 to disconnect until you learn how to speak English. Thank you.

The original post fails to define the timeframe from which he references.

A member from my church in the 1/24th spent 15 months in Anbar during the original passification of Fallujah. If the OP was referring to this time frame, his opinion very well may not be reality.

Quote Originally Posted by GenYConservative View Post
    Do we have anyone here thats deployed to Iraq and in the Anbar Province?
    Yeah, this guy:

marinejcksn

Here's my 2 cents on the subject, with a completely level headed honest view of what I've observed. Know that I'm posting this honestly and only commenting on what I know firsthand, not what I've heard.

I'm a Sgt in the US Marine Corps, currently deployed with HMH-363 in the Anbar Province. I was previously deployed here from March-October 2006 with another unit, HMH-463.

My unit is a Heavy Helicopter Squadron, we fly the CH-53D in support of whoever needs us for whatever mission we can accomidate. I've noticed substantial differences in our mission structure now as opposed to when I was here in 2006.

In 2006, we flew many of what we call "Angel Flights", where we're picking up a fallen serviceman from the field and bringing him/her back. It was incredibly depressing because we were flying these missions repeatedly the entire 7 month deployment. We haven't flown any on this deployment and we've currently been in Iraq 9 weeks.

Other differences in the country that I've noticed:

In '06 we were hit by Indirect Fire a total of 13 times on the base, which is the same base I'm at now. Currently this post hasn't had an Indirect Fire attack in over 14 months.

During the '06 deployment our helos observed people digging emplacements for IEDs along our main road in & out of base several times, most often along the same areas. So far we've observed no placement of IEDs.

In '06, we took small arms fire on almost every single flight. We limited our operations tempo to only fly at night and most nights still had tracer fire strafing the aircraft. Most of this was assorted small arms, AK-47s that people were just shooting at the noise of our rotor hoping to get lucky and hit us. We also encountered SAM (surface to air missle) fire 3 times, with our warning systems giving time to evade. As of today, my unit hasn't taken any fire during flight and simultaniously runs both night ops and daylight ops.

As far as the streets on a day to day basis, I'm not out on patrol so I don't see if the Iraqi Army is there in full force or not. I'm tasked to send one of my Marines to observe and identify the new Iraqi Army recruits for the next few weeks, I'll post more when I get a report from him on what he saw.

I do know this about our troop losses. When I was here in '06, we had an Infantry unit from my home base in Hawaii deploy at the same time we did. They lost 22 men during their 7 months here, serving in Ramadi, Fallujah & Haditha. The same unit returned from another deployment to Iraq shortly before I was deployed this time, they suffered 0 casualties during their 7 months.

I don't know for a fact that the Iraqi Army is fully up & ready to take over the job but I do know our whole mission structure has changed since the transfer of authority. Understand I can only post what I'm authorized to talk about online because of Operational Security. But based on everything I've witnessed with my own eyes, Anbar is far more stable then it's ever been before.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Sonnabend
    We know OPSEC well, Sergeant. Thank you...that clears a lot up.

Happy to help!

Honestly to me it sounds like the other post was by someone who's unhappy with coming to Iraq (I think I speak for anyone who's been here when I say who ISN'T unhappy with coming here?) or something like that.

I also know specifically from our main vehicle support unit that they've only encountered 2 IEDs in the past 6 months they've been here, whereas they had over 100 the last time they deployed. The Intel briefs we get largely confirm that violence is subdued for the most part, with occasions here or there where some whacko takes a pop shot at a patrol only to blend into a crowd of people because they know we can't shoot back.

For the most part things are a lot better then last time. I see no reason to believe the turnover we completed on the 1st was a fake or a hoax. We flew support to bring guys out of the field when the ceremony was going on and the radio chatter was insane, they had Super Cobras, Apaches and fixed wing support providing air cover for the entire thing.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke