Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Ford developing car-seat heart monitor 
    Ford developing car-seat heart monitor
    By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

Updated 5h 15m ago |

Ford Motor will announce today that its research team in Aachen, Germany, has developed a car seat with six sensors that can monitor a driver's heart by its electrical impulses. Such a seat, if brought to market, could help heart patients monitor their health and provide an early warning of a heart attack.

It's the latest twist among several Ford health and wellness initiatives that could enable cars to be an extension of medical self-monitoring for people dealing with chronic conditions, whether it's a weak heart, allergies, diabetes or other maladies.

"With the aging population and this interest in health and wellness, there could be an interest in this type of technology," says Pim van der Jagt, managing director of Ford's European research center.
    Because people need another distraction behind the wheel.

USA Today

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    thats actually pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    thats actually pretty cool
    Should you really be focusing on a heart monitor while you are driving in traffic? How much could the average person tell about their own heart health from this when even physicians need equipment that shows the wave characteristics? If your heart has stopped, I believe you'll know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Should you really be focusing on a heart monitor while you are driving in traffic? How much could the average person tell about their own heart health from this when even physicians need equipment that shows the wave characteristics? If your heart has stopped, I believe you'll know it.
    as long as it's passive and is used to call 911 automatically if it detects a heart attack then there wont be any need for monitoring it

None of my vehicles have hearts since I sold the mule.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

as long as it's passive and is used to call 911 automatically if it detects a heart attack then there wont be any need for monitoring it
    Dude, your heart is still beating during a heart attack. If it stops beating, the highway patrol will call 911 when they get to the crash scene.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 05-24-2011 at 05:19 PM.

How about making a better VEHICLE? If they focused as much on the actual drivetrain as they do the bells and whistles, you could get a damn good vehicle at half the price.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Dude, your heat is still beating during a heart attack. If it stops beating, the highway patrol will call 911 when they get to the crash scene.
    i know what happens during a heart attack, heart rate becomes extremely erratic

though they probably would be better off putting AED's in cars

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    How about making a better VEHICLE? If they focused as much on the actual drivetrain as they do the bells and whistles, you could get a damn good vehicle at half the price.
    Ford beat out Toyota in quality last year, not sure about this year, but they already make a good vehicle

Ford beat out Toyota in quality last year, not sure about this year, but they already make a good vehicle
    Do you think 30 years from now, we'll see as many of todays vehicles on the road as we do models from the 70's, now?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad