Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Not to long ago, the local rock station here in St. Louis was talking about how a company in the city was testing Ozzy Osbournes DNA to find out how the hell he was still alive.

I wonder if they ever got results.
    Ozzy Osbournes isn't alive. He's been mumified and pickled by all of the drugs he has in his system !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    So your thesis is that men or woman live longer in close Spiritual/Social bonds and not so much depending on any type of diet ? I agree to some extent but a very simple diet also seems to play some significent part .

Animal flesh while it does play an important role in providing quick and lasting protein that Western man needed to hunt and survive, also poisons the body if consumed in large quantitys.

Triglyceride levels go through the roof whenever a man dines of beef,especially Wagyu beef .The beef is so heavily marbled that it's connective tissue melts when it is grilled providing a very tender bite but loads of plasma lipids.

It is amazing how quickly the body processes
    food to break down the proteins,carbohydrates, and fats into molecules small enough to seep into the bloodstream.Depending on the protien, amino acids enter circulation within 10mins or so upwards to 8+hrs.

A simple diet, although lacking in quick evergy, seems to be a key componant to longevity .

Most Western men eventually end up with clogged arteries of both the heart, lower Femoral and external iliac artery and the internal carotid .

All death is the result of cesession of blood flow to the brain be it a failure of the heart pumping blood or the vascular systems, internal carotid being clogged causing brain death or strokes.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, Moo. Carbohydrate metabolism seems to clearly be implicated in both elevated triglycerides and insulin resistance problems. I do agree about simple diets in general, though. A big vareity of tastes, textures, spices, and aromas seem to trigger people to overeat and fatness causes the inflammation that seems to trigger other problems. ;)

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I am amazed that they always want to look at the genetics instead of looking at the social factors. Elderly Ashkenazi Jews have tight bonds with very large extended families, they have a high demand faith that they take seriously, and they tend to remain in the same social circles their entire lives. These are all factors associated with successful aging. Beyond that, many had no cars so they walked a great deal, fatness was discouraged since it was believed to be a sign of greed, and the lifestyle pretty much forbid drunkenness, drug addiction, and sexual promiscuity.

That's going to add up to a pretty healthy lifestyle for anybody. The few "vices" involving smoking and fatty foods obviously didn't matter much for this particular elderly group.
    My general physician in San Francisco became one of the early players in AIDS treatment.
    I got desperately ill and started wasting aware while having high fevers and infections. It was 1981, and the doctors came into my room at St Francis hospital and told me I was going to die. I had "this new cancer attacking gay men".

Long story short: the diagnosis was wrong. I had surgery to remove a piece of necrotic tissue and infection and magically returned to good health and normal weight. Well, above normal weight.

So now the doctors wanted to know why I didn't have AIDS. I was young,handsome, gay, and having a good time. Two years later, my doctor called me up and asked me if I would be interested in participating in a study. He said that there appeared to be some people who were resistant or immune from AIDS. He said that they appeared to be people of British ancestry, particularly of northern English heritage. He said he would call me back. He was hit by a car and died shortly after that and I didn't hear anything about this for years. I assumed they discontinued the study rather than promote the idea that some people are immune, and perhaps open the door to people not taking precautions.

And now:

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2005/01/66198

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    My general physician in San Francisco became one of the early players in AIDS treatment.
    I got desperately ill and started wasting aware while having high fevers and infections. It was 1981, and the doctors came into my room at St Francis hospital and told me I was going to die. I had "this new cancer attacking gay men".

Long story short: the diagnosis was wrong. I had surgery to remove a piece of necrotic tissue and infection and magically returned to good health and normal weight. Well, above normal weight.

So now the doctors wanted to know why I didn't have AIDS. I was young,handsome, gay, and having a good time. Two years later, my doctor called me up and asked me if I would be interested in participating in a study. He said that there appeared to be some people who were resistant or immune from AIDS. He said that they appeared to be people of British ancestry, particularly of northern English heritage. He said he would call me back. He was hit by a car and died shortly after that and I didn't hear anything about this for years. I assumed they discontinued the study rather than promote the idea that some people are immune, and perhaps open the door to people not taking precautions.

And now:

http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/news/2005/01/66198
    LOL! This has been speculated for years and years since no natural disease has a 100% infection/kill rate. Somebody is always immune. I'm genetically Swedish myself, so this is amusing and I think it's something worth pursuing in research but let's face it: avoiding risky or numerous sexual partners or waiting to have sex until your partner's STI status is clear is actually a statistically better way of avoiding infection.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    LOL! This has been speculated for years and years since no natural disease has a 100% infection/kill rate. Somebody is always immune. I'm genetically Swedish myself, so this is amusing and I think it's something worth pursuing in research but let's face it: avoiding risky or numerous sexual partners or waiting to have sex until your partner's STI status is clear is actually a statistically better way of avoiding infection.
    Right, but the point being that if indeed I am immune because I am inbred (or descended of endogamous people) and my ancestors survived the plague or the smallpox, it's still part (perhaps) of the map to a cure or vaccine for others.

There is a way to avoid exposure to many diseases, but it's still nice to have cures and vaccines against them.

I know it rocks people's worlds, but truly the only way to know that you are safe from sexually transmitted diseases is to never have sex. If you are having sex with another person, you are at risk. You might not be at the same risk as someone else. You might be correct to trust the person you are having sex with, but there is the possibility that that person is not telling you the truth.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Right, but the point being that if indeed I am immune because I am inbred (or descended of endogamous people) and my ancestors survived the plague or the smallpox, it's still part (perhaps) of the map to a cure or vaccine for others.

There is a way to avoid exposure to many diseases, but it's still nice to have cures and vaccines against them.

I know it rocks people's worlds, but truly the only way to know that you are safe from sexually transmitted diseases is to never have sex. If you are having sex with another person, you are at risk. You might not be at the same risk as someone else. You might be correct to trust the person you are having sex with, but there is the possibility that that person is not telling you the truth.
    You might try having 'Sex' with normal people for a change,that is if you can find a willing critter ?