Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Circumcision Saved My Life 
    Circumcision Saved My Life
    San Francisco's proposed ban on the practice could lead to more HIV infections.

By DIANE COLE

This is the story of how my husband's circumcision saved my life.

It's a personal story, but let it also serve as a public health rebuttal to the proposed ban on male circumcision that will be on the San Francisco ballot this November.

San Francisco's ballot initiative would prohibit circumcision on all males under the age of 18. It would allow no religious exemptions, and it apparently gives no regard to the numerous studies demonstrating that male circumcision can substantially reduce—by more than 50%—the transmission of the HIV virus during sex.

"Communities, and especially women, may benefit much more from circumcision interventions than had previously been predicted, and these results provide an even greater imperative to increase scale-up of safe male circumcision services," concludes a study published this year in the peer-reviewed journal Sexually Transmitted Infections.

Peter, my husband, was born with hemophilia, best known as the disease of Victorian royals (and for good reason, since the guilty gene passed through the brood of Queen Victoria right down to the doomed young son of Russia's last czar). Those who suffer from hemophilia lack the crucial factor in the blood that makes it clot.

When we are cut, we all bleed—usually, we need only a Band-Aid and some pressure to stem the flow. Except for the most minor injuries, hemophiliacs almost always need more. Specifically, they need a transfusion of the blood factor of which their DNA made them bankrupt.

As a result of one such clotting factor transfusion prior to 1985, Peter became HIV-positive.
    Read the rest of the story at the link.

WSJ

I would just love to know why that is a proposed bill in San Fransisco.

I mean seriously, why the hell would that be an issue?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

They may as well hang a "If you're an observant Jew, do not give birth in this city" sign at the city limits. F*ck San Fran.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Some wag jokingly speculated that it was discourage Muslims from the city. While gays may be happy to stand 'shoulder to shoulder' with Muslims when it comes to claiming certain aspects of victim status or while criticizing Christians, gay men know that they would be first up against the wall (even before promiscuous women) if sharia law ever permeated mainstream attitudes. ;)

What a shithole.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    What a shithole.

~QC
    "The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is hard business. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Rudyard Kipling - (1865-1936)

Context doesn't matter to this liberal it seems/ as long as it satisfies his godless dreams/ like monkeys throwing sh!t as castles in air/ as long as he throws/that is the extent of his care.

Damn, and I thought this was going to be your own account, Ginger. :(
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Damn, and I thought this was going to be your own account, Ginger. :(
    Well, I have no doubt that male circumcision has enhanced my life (particularly considering male hygiene) but I can't actually say that it's saved my life. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Well, I have no doubt that male circumcision has enhanced my life (particularly considering male hygiene) but I can't actually say that it's saved my life. :p
    Ya never know, the fringe benefits you mentioned just might have kept Mr. Snaps from well...snapping. :p
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wood View Post
    What a shithole.
    That's why my nickname for the city is San Francespool
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf