Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 " Under Obama: Does America now qualify as a police state? " 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    The Police State Is Personal....Does America now qualify as a police state? And, if so, where do you — or will you — personally draw a hard line and say, "No! That is a law or a police order I refuse to obey"?

As an anarchist, I view all states as police states, because every law is ultimately backed by police force against the body or property of a scofflaw, however peaceful he may be. I see only a difference of degree, not of kind. But even small differences in the degree of repression can be matters of life or death, and so they should not be trivialized.

A police state is more commonly described as a totalitarian government that exerts extreme social, political, and economic control. It maintains this control by a pervasive surveillance of its own citizenry, by draconian law enforcement, and by granting or withholding "privileges" such the ability to travel. Typically, there is a special police force, such as a Stasi, that operates with no transparency and few restraints. Unlike traditional policemen, who respond to crime, the purpose of such state police is to monitor and control society.

Let me restate my opening question: does America now embody this common description of a police state?

Clearly it does.
    The American government exerts extreme control over society, down to dictating which foods you may eat. Its economic control borders on the absolute. It politicizes and presides over even the traditional bastion of privacy — the family. Camera and other surveillance of daily life has soared, with the Supreme Court recently expanding the "right" of police to perform warrantless searches.

Enforcement is so draconian that the United States has more prisoners per capita than any other nation; and over the last few years, the police have been self-consciously militarizing their procedures and attitudes.

Travel, formerly a right, is now a privilege granted by government agents at their whim. Several huge and tyrannical law-enforcement agencies monitor peaceful behavior rather than respond to crime.

These agencies operate largely outside the restrictions of the Constitution; for example, the TSA conducts arbitrary searches in violation of Fourth Amendment guarantees.

http://mises.org/daily/5317/The-Poli...te-Is-Personal

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Soft tyranny.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

Police state?

No, not at the moment. Will see what happens if Obama should be re-elected, however, and is given full reign, with no fear of the consequences of his actions.

He and his corrupt minions have no respect for the rule of law now and heaven help us, if he wins a second term.

My husband and I left Canada and became citizens of the USA, 31 years ago, for the freedom afforded to us in this once wonderful country.

If he is allowed to continue on in his, I believe,*intentional* way ... I fear not only for this country, but for the future freedom of the whole western world.

Big sounding words, I know, coming from me, but Dear God, this man scares me. I do believe he is a puppet backed by big-time anti-capitalists bent on destroying the USA.

~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC; 05-26-2011 at 01:22 AM.

American By Choice ~ 1980

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ABC in Georgia View Post
    Police state?

No, not at the moment. Will see what happens if Obama should be re-elected, however, and is given full reign, with no fear of the consequences of his actions.

He and his corrupt minions have no respect for the rule of law now and heaven help us, if he wins a second term.

My husband and I left Canada and became "nationalized citizens" of the USA, 31 years ago for the freedom afforded to us in this once wonderful country.

If he is allowed to continue on in his, I believe,*intentional* way ... I fear not only for this country, but for the future freedom of the whole western world.

Big sounding words, I know, coming from me, but Dear God, this man scares me. I do believe he is a puppet backed by big-time anti-capitalists bent on destroying the USA.

~ ABC
    Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz

DUI checkpoints (Violation of the Fourth Amendment) were approved by four Reagan

and one Kennedy appointee to the USSC.

I know it's fun to hate Obama, but what do you think he has done to erode your civil rights?

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    Michigan Dept. of State Police v. Sitz

DUI checkpoints (Violation of the Fourth Amendment) were approved by four Reagan

and one Kennedy appointee to the USSC.

I know it's fun to hate Obama, but what do you think he has done to erode your civil rights?
    Curtailing your drunk driving has not made you less free, it has made us safer.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

Novaheart ...

Nothing at the moment.

It is the future I fear under this man. Thankfully, so far our lives have not changed.

And no, I do not hate him. I find him completely beneath contempt. :D

~ ABC
    Last edited by ABC; 05-26-2011 at 01:40 AM.

American By Choice ~ 1980

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Curtailing your drunk driving has not made you less free, it has made us safer.
    So would a house to house search for illegal weapons and wanted criminals.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

There were no government agents preventing me from getting a Filet o Fish on Friday at the Okemos McDonalds. Maybe if I was still morbidly obese, they would have sprung out to stop me?

As time has passed, we have lost freedoms regardless of who has been in office. The fact though that we can debate this subject on a public message board pretty much says that we are not living in a police state.

At least not yet.