Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Obama's decision to play golf on Memorial Day was disrespectful 
    Barack Obama's decision to play golf on Memorial Day was disrespectful and hardly presidential

Can you imagine David Cameron enjoying a round of golf on Remembrance Sunday? It would be inconceivable for the British Prime Minister to do so, and not just because of the usually dire weather at that time of the year. Above all, it would be viewed as an act of extremely bad taste on a day when the nation remembers and mourns her war dead. I can’t imagine the PM even considering it, and I’m sure his advisers would be horrified at the idea. And if the prime minister ever did play golf on such a sacrosanct day he would be given a massive drubbing by the British press, and it would never be repeated.

Contrast this with President Obama’s decision to play golf yesterday, Memorial Day, for the 70th time during his 28-month long presidency. For tens of millions of Americans, Memorial Day is a time for remembrance of the huge sacrifices made by servicemen and women on the battlefield. The president did pay his respects in the morning, laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery, but later in the day traveled to Fort Belvoir to play golf. The story has not been reported so far in a single US newspaper, but was made public by veteran White House correspondent Keith Koffler on his blog. Here’s Koffler’s report:
    The business of memorializing our war dead done, President Obama headed out to the Fort Belvoir golf course today, finding his way onto the links for the ninth weekend in a row.

Obama earlier today laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and met with families of those killed in battle. But he emerged from the day’s solemnity to go golfing for the 12th time this year and the 70th time of his presidency.

The decision to golf on Memorial Day invites comparison with President George W. Bush, who gave up the game early in his presidency and said he did it out of respect for the families of those killed in Iraq.
    Does it matter if the president chooses to play golf on Memorial Day, and for the second time in his presidency (he did so as well in 2009)? I think it does, and it displays extraordinarily bad judgment, not only by Obama himself but also by his advisers.
    More at the link.

Telegraph

Banned
    It was an affront to veterans everywhere.

Fabulous Poster
    I happen to think it's a stupid game. I have always found golf to be incredibly boring, but that's probably because as a kid we weren't allowed to play on the golf course at the club and it looked like a perfect place to play especially with the creeks and features.

That being said, do you expect him to sit shiva? If he sat around the Oval office doing crossword puzzles would you be happy?

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcd View Post
    It was an affront to veterans everywhere.
    So you don't think there were veterans and military people on the beaches of the eastern seaboard yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    I happen to think it's a stupid game. I have always found golf to be incredibly boring, but that's probably because as a kid we weren't allowed to play on the golf course at the club and it looked like a perfect place to play especially with the creeks and features.

That being said, do you expect him to sit shiva? If he sat around the Oval office doing crossword puzzles would you be happy?
    People have much different expectations o the President than they do of their fellow citizens and that's why Presidential life trivia gets such glaring attention.

Had the President spent the day visiting the families of some of the 1500 soldiers who have died in this war, I'm sure that the families would have been touched and his approval rating would have been bumped. ;)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Novaheart View Post
    So you don't think there were veterans and military people on the beaches of the eastern seaboard yesterday?
    He happens to be the cinc. I wouldn't expect a perv like you to understand.

Walter Reed is right down the street, how about visitng some wounded warriors. You truly are a pathetic pos.

Fabulous Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcd View Post
    He happens to be the cinc. I wouldn't expect a perv like you to understand.

Walter Reed is right down the street, how about visitng some wounded warriors. You truly are a pathetic pos.
    What did President Reagan, Bush, and bush do on Memorial Day during their terms? What is your basis for comparison?

Fabulous Poster
    Snopes covered this last year when talk radio was whining about Obama on Memorial Day.

On several occasions in just the last thirty years, U.S. presidentshave been elsewhere on Memorial Day (either vacationing or attending to other presidential duties), while other administration officials represented them at the wreath-laying ceremony:
    In 2002, President George W. Bush was in France on Memorial Day and participated in ceremonies at Normandy (site of the D-Day landings) honoring the U.S. soldiers who fought and died in WorldWar II. In his place, Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

President George H.W. Bush (himself a World War II veteran) attended no ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery during his four years in office. In 1989 he was in Rome on Memorial Day (where he led observances at an American military cemetery south of that city), and from 1990 through 1992 he spent the Memorial Day weekend vacationing in Kennebunkport, Maine, while Vice-President Dan Quayle laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns.

President Ronald Reagan was away from Arlington on Memorial Day on four occasions during his eight years in office: In 1981, he (who had been seriously wounded in an assassination attempt six weeks earlier) spent the Memorial Day weekend at his ranch in Santa Barbara, California, while Vice-President George H.W. Bush laid the wreath at Arlington. In 1983, he attended a summit meeting in Williamsburg, Virginia, while Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Thayer represented the administration at the wreath-laying ceremony. In 1987, he spent Memorial Day at the Camp David presidential retreat while Navy Secretary James Webb participated in the wreath-laying ceremony. And on Memorial Day 1988, he was out of the U.S., attending a summit meeting in Moscow.

(NOTE: President Bill Clinton has no entry in this list because he attended Memorial Day ceremonies at Arlington each year throughout his eight years in office.)
    On Memorial Day 2010, President Obama was scheduled to honor America's fallen heroes with a speech at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery near Chicago, while Vice-President Joe Biden took his place at Arlington. However, a thunderstorm in Illinois interrupted the former ceremony, and President Obama returned to Washington to deliver his speech at Andrews Air Force Base.

Exactly which sport or game is he allowed to play?

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Exactly which sport or game is he allowed to play?
    Maybe he should get a cigarette boat, since that's what Pres. Bush I played with when he was at Kennebunkport. :)
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken