Thread: Taking a Break

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Taking a Break 
    Posted on May 31, 2011 by Robin

5/31/11

I did something I rarely do: which is take a break from the computer over the weekend. And, yes, that even includes email.

Iíve gone 24 hours without looking at Drudge or American Thinker and subjecting myself to the heartaches and horrors in our world. But a whole weekend without email has seemed undoable. What if I miss something important? And, yet, I tried to remind myself that if something is desperately important, someone can call to notify me.

So I did my experiment, and guess what? The world survived, I survived, and I was actually better for it.

I had a lot of insights. I enjoyed my time in church even more, knowing I didnít have as much weight on my shoulders about the entire world. And I actually had some amazing insights in my free time.

This is what can happen when we clear our brains from all the stuff thatís in it, the emails we have to write, some latest drama on Facebook, the fate of this country in light of the revolutionaries transforming it. We can actually think! And thereís wisdom in there; it just takes a little time and space to get there, things that are so rare these days.

Of course, the society is set up to keep us away from ourselves, to alienate us from God. We are constantly stimulated and distracted; itís difficult to go anywhere these days without a screen blaring. Restaurants have multiple TVís screaming out noise; banks and car repair shops also have incessant news and commercials assaulting us.

This isnít coincidental, as Iíve written about many times before. The more we are absorbed, obsessed, and distracted, the less we can think, that we can connect with our inner wisdom, the one connected to the Divine, who can fuel us and strengthen us at any time, should we simply find Him.

One of the many insights I had: we live in the world, but we must spend time in the un-worldly places. As Jesus said, we are in the world, not of the world. If we remain almost l00% in the world, worried and preoccupied by the earthly issues, we will be stressed out, perhaps even traumatized, by what we see in front of us. The world is traumatizing. I think this is why so many people desperately cling to someone like Obama or Rev. Wright or social justice missions. They need some way out of the incessant stress and noise.

But none of that works because itís still imperfect humans trying to do Godís work. They only make things worse through, at times, good intentions.

The only alternative is to be in the world, but spend time in the ethereal places; this is where God resides and the holy and good spirit world. We know what kind of dark spirits rule the human realm.

This is a long way of saying that Iíve decided to try to spend more time hanging out in that lovely spirit realm, reading, meditation, praying. Iím going to take a break from writing full-length essays for American Thinker, at least for a while. How long? Who knows. I have lots of ideas, and things in the works.

Frankly, Iím exhausted and depleted after about l50 articles in three years or so, most of them looking directly into the belly of the beast. Iíve loved every minute of it, but itís taken something out of me that I need to restore.

But Iíll write again, probably in my blog, when the Spirit moves me to do so.

many blessings,

Robin
    http://www.robinofberkeley.com/
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.
    http://i.imgur.com/FHvkMSE.jpg

I've actually done that a few times, involuntarily of course, and after you get over the initial fear, its pretty cool. The most relaxing time have had in my life over the past few years was a couple of years ago when I had ear infections in both my ears so bad that I was practically deaf for about 3 days. Once I had my pain meds for it, it was awesome. :)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The more I read of this woman the more I admire her....She has such common sense and a grasp of the facts it is always a pleasure to read her...She's admitted that she is an recovering liberal/Progressive as she continues to expose their political fallacies ...She is correct in breaking the bond of computer news addiction and living life in the real world for a change..

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The more I read of this woman the more I admire her....She has such common sense and a grasp of the facts it is always a pleasure to read her...She's admitted that she is an recovering liberal/Progressive as she continues to expose their political fallacies ...She is correct in breaking the bond of computer news addiction and living life in the real world for a change..
    I left her a note on her blog site to rest up and then get back to writing, we need her with an election coming soon, I really do like this woman.
    The difference between pigs and people is that when they tell you you're cured it isn't a good thing.

I take weekend breaks all the time. And when I'm on vacation, I never go online.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    I take weekend breaks all the time. And when I'm on vacation, I never go online.
    I have internet wherever I am, even on equipment while I work.
    Is it an addiction, of course it is, but there are much worse.

I have internet wherever I am, even on equipment while I work.
    Is it an addiction, of course it is, but there are much worse.
    It's a social issue with me....The exchange of opinion with people from across our great country is an eye opener to me.
    Too often,in the past,my information came from local news sources and they all tend to corrupt the facts to favor their political leanings....With people like you there is a much more of a ballanced exchange of opinions with real Americans and a few shitbirds but I guess that cant be avoided ?

It's a social issue with me....The exchange of opinion with people from across our great country is an eye opener to me.
    Too often,in the past,my information came from local news sources and they all tend to corrupt the facts to favor their political leanings....With people like you there is a much more of a ballanced exchange of opinions with real Americans and a few shitbirds but I guess that cant be avoided ?
    I have always been an info junkie, I used to hang out at the library all the time and now I have it with me always.

I have always been an info junkie, I used to hang out at the library all the time and now I have it with me always.
    That's how you learn .Teach yourself the facts and investigate the unknown !

It's a social issue with me....The exchange of opinion with people from across our great country is an eye opener to me... snip ...With people like you there is a much more of a ballanced exchange of opinions with real Americans and a few shitbirds but I guess that cant be avoided ?
    I definitely agree. Over the last few years, I've gotten to where I read the news
    and watch it on tv, but then I turn to forums like this one to hear the take on it
    from the real people who are actually making this news happen before I really
    form a solid opinion on what I think about it.

For instance my friend TxRadio is someone that I really listen a lot to, because
    he comes from the same hometown I'm from, I know he's real, and I know he
    has been on the inside of the military, he's been to all the places and situations
    that I can only hear and read about. And there are so many others like everyone
    else here from such varied backgrounds - from single mothers on up to someone
    with Marv's background.

So I definitely agree with you Megimoo. There is much more of a balanced exchange
    of ideas that helps us to see events from every angle through social sites. I'm very
    much an addict.

As for the opening post, it is a good thing once in a while to totally get away from
    electronic devises and news. There have been a few times where I've gone as much
    as up to 3 hours without. :o