1. #1 Former Steelers DE Dwight White dead at 58 
    PITTSBURGH (AP) Former Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Dwight White, part of the Steel Curtain defense that led the team to four Super Bowl championships in the 1970s, has died following surgery at a Pittsburgh hospital. He was 58.
    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5j...muOSgD914ONEG0

Sad day, indeed. By the way...anyone see CUJ? Kinda miss him on the Sports threads...:(
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Dwight White. Great player. I am old enough to remember those guys.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Dwight White. Great player. I am old enough to remember those guys.
    Same here. Those were some great players, the Steelers of the 70's. RIP, Mad Dog.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Same here. Those were some great players, the Steelers of the 70's. RIP, Mad Dog.

It's funny, I came along at just the right age for a real affection to develop between me and the players and teams of that era. They just seemed bigger than life because of who they were and how they played, not some media hype machine.

Damn, that was football.

I look at the antics of some of the prima dona assholes who play today and just know that such nonsense would not have been tolerated by guys like the players/coaches/owners/fans

TO and Randy Moss. Shit.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

I was fortunate to grow up in Pittsburgh and then work in local TV there. Because of my job I was able to meet most of the Steeler greats from the 70's. The one thing I'll never forget about Dwight White is the smile that he had on his face all the time. You couldn't escape it.

It's sad to see our heroes get older. But Dwight was only 58. Sad, sad, sad.

RIP Dwight.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    It's funny, I came along at just the right age for a real affection to develop between me and the players and teams of that era. They just seemed bigger than life because of who they were and how they played, not some media hype machine.

Damn, that was football.

I look at the antics of some of the prima dona assholes who play today and just know that such nonsense would not have been tolerated by guys like the players/coaches/owners/fans

TO and Randy Moss. Shit.
    Indeed, BD, about TO and Moss....great players for sure, but you are very right in your statement about "players of today." Not all of them. There are some classy, good guys...team players, who do a lot for their communities...but there are also a lot of "Me" guys...that era of the 70's and the legendary aura they created is gone forever. I dunno. Maybe because I was a kid and hearing the stories, seeing the games, and the names like Mean Joe Greene (and who can't forget the Coke commercial, right?), Lambert and Hamm, Franco, Swann & Stallworth....wow....and others, of course (not just Steelers).