Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 67 Years Ago Today...June 6, 1944 

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.
    Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-1941. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory! I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good Luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Signed….Dwight D. Eisenhower
    Last edited by txradioguy; 06-06-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

To Achieve Ordered Liberty You Must Have Moral Order As Well

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by txradioguy View Post

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.
    Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-1941. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory! I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good Luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

Where were you on that day ?

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Where were you on that day ?
    That's me behind the 101st guy with the 23 on his chest...that guy that looks like he's looking around a couple people to see Ike...yeah that's me. :)
    In Memory Of My Friend 1st Sgt. Tim Millsap A Co, 70th Eng. Bn. 3rd Bde 1st AD...K.I.A. 25 April 2005

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

That's me behind the 101st guy with the 23 on his chest...that guy that looks like he's looking around a couple people to see Ike...yeah that's me. :)
    That makes you about ninety five..I'll have to treat you with more respect !

Virginia, birthplace of Presidents, mostly good ones.
    I'm sad that this is not being mentioned anywhere i've looked.

the Normandy invasion was the main show. but there was also an invasion of southern France around august. operation Anvil. later renamed Dragoon. my dad's cruiser was assigned to provide gunfire support here.

link

photos of Normandy

link
    Liberals: Obama's useful Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    "The Greatest Generation" .....Tom Brokaw's book

Broadcast journalist Tom Brokaw wrote in his 1998 book The Greatest Generation, "it is, I believe, the greatest generation any society has ever produced."[3] He argued that these men and women fought not for fame and recognition, but because it was the right thing to do. When they came back they rebuilt America into a superpower. The book was a great popular success.[4] Some critics and historians found the phenomenon overblown, or simplistic.[5][6] Others felt an implied criticism of the Baby Boom Generation, and defended that generation's social values against those of the Greatest Generation.[7]

In their 1991 book Generations: The History of America's Future, 1584 to 2069, the historians William Strauss and Neil Howe define the "G.I. Generation" as the cohorts born in the United States from 1901 through 1924. This generation came of age during the Great Depression and World War II.

Famous members
    Creighton Abrams: (1914–1974), veteran of World War II, Korean War and general in the United States Army commanding military operations in the Vietnam War from 1968-72.

Joe Foss: (1915–2003), World War II USMC fighter ace, Governor of South Dakota, featured prominently in Brokaw's book

John F. Kennedy: (1917–1963), 35th President of the United States

J. D. Salinger: (1919–2010), an author best known for the controversial 1951 novel, The Catcher in the Rye

Robin Olds: (1922–2007), American fighter pilot, ace, general officer in the U.S. Air Force and veteran of World War II and Vietnam War.

George H.W. Bush: (b. 1924), 41st President of the United States

Walter Cronkite: (1916–2009), reporter for CBS News from 1951 to 1997, one of eight journalists selected by the United States Army Air Forces to fly bombing raids over Germany in a B-17 Flying Fortress

Joe DiMaggio: (1914–1999), famous player for the New York Yankees

Eugene B. Fluckey: (1913–2007), United States Navy submarine commander who received the Medal of Honor during World War II

Billy Graham: (b. 1918), televangelist

Ted Williams: (1915–2002), famous baseball player for Boston Red Sox, fought in World War II and Korean War

Daniel Inouye: (b. 1924), third longest-serving US Senator in history, officer in the 442nd Regimental Combat Team

Richard Winters: (b. 1918–2011), World War II veteran of the 101st Airborne Division, famous for his portrayal in Band of Brothers

Charles M. Schulz: (1922–2000), American cartoonist, served with U.S. 20th Armored Division in World War II

Howard Keel: (1919–2004), American actor

Ronald Reagan: (1911–2004), 40th President of the United States

Jackie Robinson: (1919–1972), American Major League Baseball player, Civil Rights pioneer

Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.: (1912–2002), United States Air Force General and commander of the World War II Tuskegee Airmen

Eugene Sledge: (1923–2001), United States Marine who served in the Pacific Theater during World War II, specifically Peleliu and Okinawa. He documented his experience in his memoir, With the Old Breed. Certain material from the memoir was used by Ken Burns in his seven-part documentary The War. It was also used by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg in their miniseries The Pacific
    Lynn Compton: (b.1921), World War II Veteran of the 101st Airborne, famous for his portrayal in the Band of Brothers and for his prosecution of Sirhan Sirhan.

Margaret Thatcher: (b.1925), former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

Kurt Vonnegut

Howard Zinn: (1922–2010), author and historian famous for his A People's History of the United States

Randall Kelley: (1919–2010), Army Sgt.

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso Jones View Post
    It sure is. This is the first mention of it I've run across today.
    We must never forget these significant military battles and the cost of them.
    Every year, I think of the words of the song The Longest Day

Many men came here as soldiers
    Many men will pass this way
    Many men will count the hours
    As they live the longest day

Many men are tired and weary
    Many men are here to stay
    Many men won't see the sunset
    When it ends the longest day

The longest day the longest day
    This will be the longest day
    Filled with hopes and filled with fears
    Filled with blood and sweat and tears

Many men the mighty thousands
    Many men to victory
    Marching on right into battle
    In the longest day in history

ZOMG!!!1111!!1 Separation of church and state! Separation of church and state! Panic! Freakout! Run around in circles!
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.