1. #1 Proud to be an American? 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Gee...I wonder what Cyrano was going for????

Cyrano (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-06-11 10:50 AM
    Original messageProud to be an American? Edited on Mon Jun-06-11 10:56 AM by Cyrano
    I heard the song “Proud to be an American” this morning on my car radio. And then I turned off the radio and thought about that concept.

There were times when Americans had every right to be proud of our country. In the 18th century our Founding Fathers stood up to Great Britain, and risked everything they owned, including their lives, to fight for American freedom. That was something to be proud of.

When WWII came along, Germany and Japan had conquered half the world. Then America got involved. Your parents, or grandparents, or great grandparents, went into high gear, and quickly built the most powerful war machine in history. And it’s hard to dispute that “The Greatest Generation,” saved the world. It was the ultimate moment to be proud to be an American.

And then, the Marshall Plan rebuilt Germany and Japan which today, are among the world’s most solid democracies. That’s something of which to be tremendously proud.

But there’s a big difference between true pride in actual accomplishments, and mindless jingoism. Today, people who wave flags, shout “USA, USA,” or “We’re number one. We’re number one,” make me sick. The only thing at which we are number one is using our military might to try to make the rest of the world do what we want them to do. In effect, we have become the world’s biggest bully.

From the day Ronald Reagan became president, America has been on a downhill curve. And after eight years of Bush Jr., we've hit rock bottom. Exactly what is it we’re supposed to be proud of today? Our educational system? Our health care system? Our social safety net for the elderly, sick and poor? Our despicable record of caring for our veterans? Our ability to provide a job for anyone who wants one?

Most of us have no control over most of these things. Our country, our politicians, our media, and all the rest of us have become wholly owned subsidiaries of that very small percentage of people who run Wall Street and corporate America.

So what about you? Are you proud to be an American today? I’m not.
    Cyrano

Just such a typical DUmmie thread. :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Banned
    Sounds like one of Michelle's family members.

Power CUer
    I'm sometimes ashamed of some of the people who represent my country, but never of my country.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Cyrano is saying having a powerful war machine that helped spread freedom was something to be proud of?

Then what's his problem today?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

"But there’s a big difference between true pride in actual accomplishments, and mindless jingoism."
    Want to know an easy way to identify a traitorous Commie scumbag?
    They refer to pride in one's country (Especially if that country is the USA), and waving the flag of that country (Again, especially the USA) as "Jingoism."
    Fits every time.
    I agree with linda22003's comment.