Thread: This whole Weiner situation...?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 This whole Weiner situation...? 
    Banned
    I'm confused on this exactly...
    I know he sent photographs of his schlong to some chicks and had some internet relationships while married, but has he done anything that's illegal? I ask because I hear some on the right--particularly Beck--calling for his resignation.

If the man did something illegal, like in terms of the law, not morally wrong, than he should resign. But if he had personal indiscretion or indiscretions, and there was no illegal activity involved, than he shouldn't IMO. This is a nation of laws and not of men after all, and as far as I know, Biblical moral law does not govern this nation. We've had a good number of Presidents who were cheaters; Even some of our founders (Ben Franklin comes to mind) had personal indiscretions and acted in a way that get people like Beck nuts today.

I mean we had one President--I forget his name right now--who bragged about how making love outside was an American invention. And it wasn't JFK or Bill Clinton.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    I'm confused on this exactly...
    I know he sent photographs of his schlong to some chicks and had some internet relationships while married, but has he done anything that's illegal? I ask because I hear some on the right--particularly Beck--calling for his resignation.

If the man did something illegal, like in terms of the law, not morally wrong, than he should resign. But if he had personal indiscretion or indiscretions, and there was no illegal activity involved, than he shouldn't IMO. This is a nation of laws and not of men after all, and as far as I know, Biblical moral law does not govern this nation. We've had a good number of Presidents who were cheaters; Even some of our founders (Ben Franklin comes to mind) had personal indiscretions and acted in a way that get people like Beck nuts today.

I mean we had one President--I forget his name right now--who bragged about how making love outside was an American invention. And it wasn't JFK or Bill Clinton.
    I don't believe any laws were broken, but it's extremely likely that he violated more then a few House Ethics rules. Not to mention has pretty much proven himself to be a lying scum bag.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    I don't believe any laws were broken, but it's extremely likely that he violated more then a few House Ethics rules. Not to mention has pretty much proven himself to be a lying scum bag.
    He's a politician. That goes with the territory. Do you expect any more of any of them? They've all been liars from the beginning. To get far ahead in politics you've got to be a ruthless son of a bitch.
    If there are no illegalities, than he shouldn't resign. If he broke house rules, punish him however the House would punish him.

He's a politician. That goes with the territory. Do you expect any more of any of them? They've all been liars from the beginning. To get far ahead in politics you've got to be a ruthless son of a bitch.
    If there are no illegalities, than he shouldn't resign. If he broke house rules, punish him however the House would punish him.
    No, resignation should be on the table. It's a trust issue for us. How can we trust him, when he as proven that he will betray the people who are supposed to be closest to him. We should trust him with so much power after that?

I think not.

There is a reason why adulty is punishable by the UCMJ.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Banned
    No, resignation should be on the table. It's a trust issue for us. How can we trust him, when he as proven that he will betray the people who are supposed to be closest to him. We should trust him with so much power after that?

I think not.

There is a reason why adulty is punishable by the UCMJ.
    What next, should we make adultery a punishable offense in regular life, too?
    A man's public life and his personal life are two very different things. What a man does in public and what he does in private don't really reflect each other. He only got caught doing stuff most of the other politicians do. There will be no moral law in this land telling me what I can and can't do based on what your holy book says. Adultery is not a legal crime, and therefore, he should not resign.

A man's public life and his personal life are two very different things. What a man does in public and what he does in private don't really reflect each other. He only got caught doing stuff most of the other politicians do. There will be no moral law in this land telling me what I can and can't do based on what your holy book says. Adultery is not a legal crime, and therefore, he should not resign.
    When a man takes public office, his life is no longer private.

Sacrifices have to be made to SERVE. Sometimes these people forget that is why they are there. To serve.

And you can't be trusted to serve properly if you can't be trusted period. You gain a bit of a unique perspective on this stuff when you join the military. It comes from living that life of servitude like we do. From the sacrifices we made to do it.
    Last edited by djones520; 06-08-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Banned
    When a man takes public office, his life is no longer private.

Sacrifices have to be made to SERVE. Sometimes these people forget that is why they are there. To serve.

And you can't be trusted to serve properly if you can't be trusted period. You gain a bit of a unique perspective on this stuff when you join the military. It comes from living that life of servitude like we do. From the sacrifices we made to do it.
    Moral failings are moral failings. Everyone has one. We will never have an utterly perfect, pristine politician. Even the Founders had them. Some pretty great leaders have had indiscretions in their personal lives. Look at Winston Churchill--arguably a great leader, no? But at the same time probably an alcoholic--big time flaw.

Ben Franklin--inventor, patriot, genius, diplomat, one of the last Renaissance men; Also a horny bastard.

Yes, both the USMC and politicans serve, but in different ways. There are different rules for both, because there are different responsibilities. They are very different jobs despite both being servants. For a Conservative, you sure seem to like the "One size fits all" approach that Conservatives claim to despise.

Ultimately, he shouldn't resign. The people should be allowed to decide come election time.

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Being stupid is not a crime either, but it SHOULD be a disqualification for holding such an important position. It is NOT a matter of criminal vs legal, it is an issue of being qualified to set such important policies.

Why is it that you didn't bring this up when Chris Lee sent far less offensive photos?
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

I'm sure you defended this guy, too...right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Foley_scandal

Or is the difference in that letter behind the name...(D) = can do no wrong, morals not required (R) = required to resign for any moral failing

It's funny how many (D) supporters are absolute hypocrites when it comes to moral failings. Lying, cheating, underage-boy-abusing Democrats are supported for being "brave." Republicans are instantly judged as "pedophiles" and hounded by lynch mobs.
    Last edited by MrsSmith; 06-08-2011 at 06:46 AM.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Power CUer
    Totally sounds like William McKinley. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken