Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Totally sounds like William McKinley. :p
    And he never makes the top 10 list of best presidents. :D

Many politicians are lying, cheating scum. That's still no excuse. One would hope that they would actually take their responsibilities more seriously.

Think of all the trouble Bubba Clinton would have been in if Facebook was around back in the day. Hillary would have broken even more china. I can just see him chuckling about this.

Weiner needs to go for being extraordinarily indescreet and stupid. He isn't capable of being a decent legislature. He should move to Chicago. I'm sure he'd have a brilliant career there.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

GO CARDS -THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR
    GO ROYALS NOW

The illegal part is where he claimed he was hacked instead of fessing up when he was caught. If he reported hacking to the police, he made a false police report. It's certainly not the worst thing a politician has ever done, but it's not a good thing. Resignation? I don't know. If a President/administration can sell arms to a declared enemy and use the profits to fund nun-killing drug dealers in Central America, and not only remain in office but be elevated to Caesar-like status after his death by his supporters, well, anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CaughtintheMiddle1990 View Post
    Moral failings are moral failings. Everyone has one. We will never have an utterly perfect, pristine politician. Even the Founders had them. Some pretty great leaders have had indiscretions in their personal lives. Look at Winston Churchill--arguably a great leader, no? But at the same time probably an alcoholic--big time flaw.

Ben Franklin--inventor, patriot, genius, diplomat, one of the last Renaissance men; Also a horny bastard.

Yes, both the USMC and politicans serve, but in different ways. There are different rules for both, because there are different responsibilities. They are very different jobs despite both being servants. For a Conservative, you sure seem to like the "One size fits all" approach that Conservatives claim to despise.

Ultimately, he shouldn't resign. The people should be allowed to decide come election time.
    "Moral failing" would have been one photo. This lying sack of skin has a chronic moral failing. He is a lying scumbag and a sorry excuse for a human being. He should be held accountable for his failures. He likely did use taxpayer provided equipment or resources to engage in his depravity. He also violated House ethics on several counts. I believe it is correct to hold public officials to minimum standards of conduct. Send photos of your chub to girls (some were young) is not a failure, it is a bad character. Lying and deflecting demonstrates more of that bad character. He is a turd and has been exposed as a lying scumbag with no character. His supporters need to pull his funding.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

How about using government phones to sext? Sexting, what is he, 16?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    How about using government phones to sext? Sexting, what is he, 16?
    He says he used his personal equipment to communicate and photograph his, well... personal equipment. We'll see. The whole thing IS incredibly juvenile.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I'm confused on this exactly...
    I know he sent photographs of his schlong to some chicks and had some internet relationships while married, but has he done anything that's illegal? I ask because I hear some on the right--particularly Beck--calling for his resignation.

If the man did something illegal, like in terms of the law, not morally wrong, than he should resign. But if he had personal indiscretion or indiscretions, and there was no illegal activity involved, than he shouldn't IMO. This is a nation of laws and not of men after all, and as far as I know, Biblical moral law does not govern this nation. We've had a good number of Presidents who were cheaters; Even some of our founders (Ben Franklin comes to mind) had personal indiscretions and acted in a way that get people like Beck nuts today.

I mean we had one President--I forget his name right now--who bragged about how making love outside was an American invention. And it wasn't JFK or Bill Clinton.
    If I sit in my office and jack off in the middle of the day, I've done nothing illegal (so long as I wasn't standing in front of a streetfront window or something like that), but if I get caught doing it, I can't expect to keep my job, especially if I spend a week denying that I was doing what I was doing.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    He says he used his personal equipment to communicate and photograph his, well... personal equipment. We'll see. The whole thing IS incredibly juvenile.
    One of the women is now accusing him of using a House telephone. Not sure how credible her claim is; I just saw a short blurb on the story last night.
    Olde-style, states' rights conservative. Ask if this concept confuses you.

What next, should we make adultery a punishable offense in regular life, too?

A man's public life and his personal life are two very different things. What a man does in public and what he does in private don't really reflect each other. He only got caught doing stuff most of the other politicians do. There will be no moral law in this land telling me what I can and can't do based on what your holy book says. Adultery is not a legal crime, and therefore, he should not resign.
    When a man's public life and private life "are two very different things", that's a good reason to reject him for public office. Resignations have nothing to do with criminal allegations or convictions (although a few politicians have resigned due to criminal allegations). Resignations are about acknowledging that you have breached the public trust one way or another.

If he is a Christian, then he has committed a very grave sin, he's betrayed and humiliated his wife, he's shamed his parents, and he's demonstrated that he can't be trusted. If he's not Christian, he's still betrayed and humiliated his wife (who presumably is not in favor of 'open marriage'), he's shamed his parents, and he's demonstrated that he can't be trusted.

Instead of overlooking major character defects simply because a politician is otherwise likable, how about we work harder to elect people who only have minor character defects? I don't know about you but I've successfully lived for years without sleeping around behind my husband's back, taking nekkid pix of myself, or engaging in sexually explicit conversations with coworkers, friends, or people I meet on the Internet. Obviously, it's possible to not be a horn dog. Let's elect more of the those people.

Not to mention when a person gets caught in this sort of thing, they can go to extreme lengths to cover it up. It creates possabilities for additional laws to be broken and even blackmail. Would you want a member of Congress being blackmailed CITM?

Removing individuals from places of power, or they themselves quit, when they knowingly put themselves into these kind of situations is what is best for the country. Regardless of what letter is after their name.
    Liberals are proof that evolution is only a theory. Nothing that stupid could evolve past a monkey.

If any of the women were under age, then he did commit a crime, but that's not known at this time. Let's assume that he did not. Since stupidity, arrogance and being a lowlife aren't illegal, even in Washington DC (or should I say especially in Washington DC, since they do seem to abuse the privilege), it's unlikely that he broke any laws. However, he did show some very serious lapses in judgement which, while not impeachable, should cause any honorable person to step down. For one thing, he was providing strangers with blackmail opportunities. Imagine if one of the women wanted a federal job, or worse, information from one of the committees that he sits on, or a changed vote on a given issue, and threatened to publicize his conduct? What do you think that Weiner would have done to avoid that humiliating press conference, not to mention the fallout in his personal life? Somebody in the military who had done something like this would have had his clearance revoked in a heartbeat. Also, when he claimed that his account had been hacked, he falsely claimed that a crime had been committed, and since the crime entailed possible identity theft against a member of congress, one who sits on a number of committees requiring a security clearance, it became a very serious issue, as the various national security agencies got spun up. He didn't actually file a report, so it wasn't a crime, but it was a serious breech of public trust. These point to a pattern of reckless, compuslive behavior and dishonesty which, in a previous day, would have cost him the support of his own party and forced his resignation. Today, it's a brief public flogging by the media, a rehab stint on the talk show circuit and then business as usual. And that last is the final reason why he should resign.

We are living in a time when honor, public integrity and basic decency are considered, not just quaint, but actual character flaws. Our elites mock honest people and see everyone who isn't part of the clique as a sucker. Our financial sector melted down because the people in charge of it, public and private sector, abused the system to the point of collapse. The mortgage crisis was the result of political manipulation of lending criteria and creation of securities whose sole purpose was to mask risk from investors. The results were predictable. The debt crisis is the result of government spending beyond its means in order to buy votes, and refusing to do anything about it except steal more money, either through taxation or devaluation of the various currencies around the world. The various institutions of higher learning have substituted dogma for education, and activism for scholarship. The sciences are being corrupted for political gain and ideological conformity. Our entertainment is not only trash, but our elites seem to be competing to act worse in public than they do onscreen. Our newsmedia alternates between lying about the events of the day and castigating those who tell the truth. In short, there isn't a single major institution of ours that isn't tainted by scandal, greed or the basest urges, and as a result, our trust in the people that we expect to lead us is at an all time low. A government without trust cannot govern, it can only rule, and impose that rule through the use of force. If we are to restore trust to government, then we have to have people in that government behave in a trustworthy manner. Weiner has demonstrated that he cannot be trusted to keep his marriage vows. What makes anyone think that he will keep his oath of office?

Or, to put it another way, here is a story about another person who was confronted with a failure, and his response to it. You tell me which person has the right stuff to serve the public:

David E. Koss is a 42-year-old bachelor. He has no family. There is a question if he is Republican or a Democrat. It is not clear if he is even registered to vote. And, if so, in which state is he registered? His political positions on the major issues of the day are not publicly known. But he does have at least one admirable trait as will be explained shortly.

Koss is a commander in the U.S. Navy. He graduated from the Naval Academy in 1991 and is currently eligible to retire from the Navy with 20 years of service. He is also a fighter pilot and, until last week, he was the flight leader and commanding officer of the Navy's Flight Demonstration Squadron, more popularly known as the "Blue Angels."

As the world's premier flight demonstration team the Blue Angels have been impressing audiences since 1946. To date, nearly one-half billion people have watched the Blue Angels perform. About eight million witnessed their aerobatics last year.

The mission of the Blue Angels is to showcase the skills of Navy and Marine Corps aviators as an aid in recruiting.

Koss viewed his selection just over a year ago to become the next commanding officer of the Blue Angels as a dream come true. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he explained earlier this spring.

He was no different from countless other young boys who watched the Blue Angels perform when they were youngsters. It became his lifelong ambition to join the Blue Angels. Of course, he had to pay his dues along the way.

First, he had to join the Navy, gain a commission as an officer, get selected for flight training, and transition into fixed-wing tactical aircraft. Fighters, specifically. Then he had to rise through the ranks and assume command of a fighter squadron. He had to demonstrate the acumen as a premier naval aviator just to merit consideration.

He did all of the above. Eventually, he became an F/A-18 Hornet pilot. Hornets are the Navy's primary carrier-based jet that performs the dual-role of being an attack and fighter aircraft.

Before he joined the Blue Angels last September, Koss was the commanding officer of Navy Strike-Fighter Squadron (VFA)-14, the "Tophatters," based at Naval Air Station Lemoore, California. VFA-14 is one of the Navy's oldest aviation squadrons that dates back to the earliest days of naval aviation. The unit is nearly a century-old. It most recently deployed with the USS Nimitz (CVN-68) and its carrier air wing in support of U.S. operations in Afghanistan.

Koss had over 3,000 flight hours and he conducted more than 740 aircraft carrier landings. His personal decorations include the Bronze Star, Defense Meritorious Service Medal, two Air Medals with combat V, four Air Medals, two Navy-Marine Corps Commendation Medals, the Joint Achievement Medal and various campaign and unit awards. He is a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom.

This is what is so admirable about Koss. Last week, he resigned from the Blue Angels, the job he spent his entire adult life working toward. In a statement he said he was guilty of "not meeting the airborne standard that makes the Blue Angels the exceptional organization that it is."

During the May 22 demonstration at the Lynchburg, VA Regional Air Show, the Blue Angels performed a maneuver in which several aircraft flew below the "hard deck," the minimally-acceptable altitude. The flight demonstration team immediately ended the remainder of its performance and returned to home base at Naval Air Station Pensacola, FL to immediately commence a "safety stand-down." No one was injured and no equipment was damaged.

As the squadron's commanding officer, Koss did what he believed to be the proper and honorable thing. He offered his resignation. It was accepted.

It is the extremely rare occurrence when someone holds themselves to the highest of standards and then resigns when failing to meet them. Washington, D.C. would look a lot different if our elected officials did likewise.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!