Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Not Lounge material, I'm afraid.
    Where would one put aborted baby posts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    4.) The GOP has always been the party supporting civil rights, not the Democratic Party.
    2.) Coulter takes on the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Damn funny.
    I realize that this is your answer to anything that you cannot refute, but I am curious as to what you find funny about #4. As Coulter writes:

“Like them, the Ku Klux Klan was, of course, another Democratic undertaking, originally formed to terrorize Republicans, but later switching to terrorize blacks. It was Democratic juries that acquitted Klansman after Klansman. It was Democratic politicians who supported segregation, Democratic governors who called out the National Guard to stop desegregation, Democratic commissioners of public safety who turned police dogs and water hoses on civil rights protesters.”

Also: “Democrats only came around on civil rights when blacks were voting in high enough numbers to make a difference at the ballot box – and then they claimed credit for everything their party had ferociously blocked since the Civil War.”
    Is there anything there that is false? Was it not Democrats who imposed and perpetuated segregation, Jim Crow, etc.? And not just conservative Democrats. Woodrow Wilson was a progressive (i.e., liberal) Democrat and he was the one who instituted segregation in the federal civil service and in Washington DC, and FDR refused to sign anti-lynching laws. JFK was, at best, ambivalent about civil rights (while Ike was the one who federalized the National Guard in Little Rock and sent the 101st Airborne in to enforce Brown Vs. Board of Education). And Nixon was the one who desegregated public schools, not just in the south, but nationwide. From PBS (yes, that's right, PBS):

In 1969, despite civil rights reforms like the landmark decision declaring that segregated schools where unconstitutional, the 1964 Civil Rights bill and the 1965 Voting Rights Act, many African Americans lived without the full protection of the law, equal access to public facilities, or equal economic opportunity. Nixon viewed this situation as not only unfair to African Americans, but as a waste of valuable human resources which could help the nation grow.

Among the most pressing civil rights issues was desegregation of public schools. Nixon inherited a nation in which nearly 70% of the black children in the South attended all-black schools. He had supported civil rights both as a senator and as vice president under Eisenhower, but now, mindful of the Southern vote, he petitioned the courts on behalf of school districts seeking to delay busing. Meanwhile, he offered a practical New Federalist alternative -- locally controlled desegregation.

Starting in Mississippi and moving across the South, the Nixon administration set up biracial state committees to plan and implement school desegregation. The appeal to local control succeeded. By the end of 1970, with little of the anticipated violence and little fanfare, the committees had made significant progress -- only about 18% of black children in the South attended all-black schools.
    In other words, Nixon's legacy on Civil Rights was superior to FDR's, JFK's Wilson's and certainly a number of Democrats who remained in office long after the 80's. Fritz Hollings, for example, was the Senator who, as governor of South Carolina, put the Confederate flag in the state flag, and don't get me started on Robert Byrd, D-KKK.

As for 2., I wasn't aware that Thurgood Marshall held King in such contempt. I have disagreed with Marshall on a whole bunch of issues, but I've always respected him. It's a disturbing piece of information.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Heh, Ann Coulter. And you wonder why anybody might insult your intelligence :)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I realize that this is your answer to anything that you cannot refute, but I am curious as to what you find funny about #4. As Coulter writes:

“Like them, the Ku Klux Klan was, of course, another Democratic undertaking, originally formed to terrorize Republicans, but later switching to terrorize blacks. It was Democratic juries that acquitted Klansman after Klansman. It was Democratic politicians who supported segregation, Democratic governors who called out the National Guard to stop desegregation, Democratic commissioners of public safety who turned police dogs and water hoses on civil rights protesters.”

Also: “Democrats only came around on civil rights when blacks were voting in high enough numbers to make a difference at the ballot box – and then they claimed credit for everything their party had ferociously blocked since the Civil War.”
    Is there anything there that is false? Was it not Democrats who imposed and perpetuated segregation, Jim Crow, etc.? And not just conservative Democrats. Woodrow Wilson was a progressive (i.e., liberal) Democrat and he was the one who instituted segregation in the federal civil service and in Washington DC, and FDR refused to sign anti-lynching laws. JFK was, at best, ambivalent about civil rights (while Ike was the one who federalized the National Guard in Little Rock and sent the 101st Airborne in to enforce Brown Vs. Board of Education). And Nixon was the one who desegregated public schools, not just in the south, but nationwide. From PBS (yes, that's right, PBS):

In 1969, despite civil rights reforms like the landmark decision declaring that segregated schools where unconstitutional, the 1964 Civil Rights bill and the 1965 Voting Rights Act, many African Americans lived without the full protection of the law, equal access to public facilities, or equal economic opportunity. Nixon viewed this situation as not only unfair to African Americans, but as a waste of valuable human resources which could help the nation grow.

Among the most pressing civil rights issues was desegregation of public schools. Nixon inherited a nation in which nearly 70% of the black children in the South attended all-black schools. He had supported civil rights both as a senator and as vice president under Eisenhower, but now, mindful of the Southern vote, he petitioned the courts on behalf of school districts seeking to delay busing. Meanwhile, he offered a practical New Federalist alternative -- locally controlled desegregation.

Starting in Mississippi and moving across the South, the Nixon administration set up biracial state committees to plan and implement school desegregation. The appeal to local control succeeded. By the end of 1970, with little of the anticipated violence and little fanfare, the committees had made significant progress -- only about 18% of black children in the South attended all-black schools.
    In other words, Nixon's legacy on Civil Rights was superior to FDR's, JFK's Wilson's and certainly a number of Democrats who remained in office long after the 80's. Fritz Hollings, for example, was the Senator who, as governor of South Carolina, put the Confederate flag in the state flag, and don't get me started on Robert Byrd, D-KKK.

As for 2., I wasn't aware that Thurgood Marshall held King in such contempt. I have disagreed with Marshall on a whole bunch of issues, but I've always respected him. It's a disturbing piece of information.
    http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/grigsby.asp

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Where would one put aborted baby posts ?

On a billboard across from an elementary school playground-where else?

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    4.) The GOP has always been the party supporting civil rights, not the Democratic Party.

2.) Coulter takes on the legacy of Martin Luther King, Jr.

Damn funny.
    This is basically the reason why I stopped reading her books. She stopped trying to use facts and instead has degenerated into sensationalism. The sad thing is, in point #4, she is correct. It was a Republican who eventually freed the slaves. It was the Republican Party that tried to advance the freed slaves into society. It was the Republican Party that desegregated the schools in the 1950's and it was the Republican Party who's votes helped pass the Civil Rights Bill. If Coulter would simply look to the facts and present those, she'd appear more credible but writing a hypocritical book* makes her look like an ass.

*-By hypocritical I mean she talks about left wing violence while explaining away right wing violence. Face it, there are knuckleheads on both sides.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    One thing that I have an issue is with her contention that there wasn't any racism with the "Southern Strategy" While Nixion might not have seen it that way but Hoover did, He kicked out a lot of blacks from high positions in the GOP, and was the first to use the strategy. he was called on it by Coolidge who had started integration of the military (which Wilson undid)

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    *-By hypocritical I mean she talks about left wing violence while explaining away right wing violence. Face it, there are knuckleheads on both sides.
    I have been having a hard time finding " right wing violence". Would you please share some examples?
    I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    I have been having a hard time finding " right wing violence". Would you please share some examples?
    Defending yourself from a violent leftist makes you a violent right winger.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!